MM711 DESIGN CHALLENGE FOR COVID-19 RELIEF
With so much happening in the world right now, we wanted to help contribute in a meaningful way instead of just a new mouse drop. Enter the MM711 Design Challenge for COVID Relief, a collaborative effort to raise funds to help those who have been impacted by the pandemic.
We’ll be running a fundraiser for COVID relief tied to a limited edition of the MM711, where all proceeds will be donated to COVID relief efforts. If you’re wondering where the “collaborative” part comes in, we’re putting the actual design of the mouse in your hands. Here’s how it works:
HOW TO HELP
Come up with the best color scheme for the MM711. We provide sketches, renders and STPs so you can draw, photoshop or 3D design to make something awesome.
Donate $30 to a Covid-19 charity to get a $30 discount off the limited edition MM711. Think of it like pre-ordering a game — except that money doesn’t go to us but to those who are affected by COVID-19.
Once all designs have been submitted, we’ll select the top 5 legendary-class colorways and ask all of you to vote on your favorite. The winnings design will also get an additional reward.
Once the limited edition MM711 is available you can use your discount code to purchase the mouse. The mouse will be available for $60, but for people who have donated it will only be $30, so all proceeds go to charity.
Aleksandar Cvorovic – Serbia
“For me personally, i took inspiration from two things: a manga called Desert Punk and the holes of the mouse. It feel like it’s made to handle the heat during combat. THerefore, the name i chose for my design is: TG-COV that stands for Tactical Gear Controller Ventilated Option. The design looks powerful with an equally impressive color scheme adds to the tactical gear feel. The ultimate fighter needs the ultimate gear and that’s where TG-CVO comes in!”
THE DONATION PERIOD IS CLOSED. THANK YOU FOR DONATING.
1. Any donation amount will be entered into a raffle for the winning mouse design. 2. Donors will receive raffle tickets for the amount they donated that they can put towards prize pools. 3. $30 or higher donation will also receive $30 CM Store credit to purchase the Limited Edition RETRO MM711 for $30. 4. An email will be send on June 30th to everyone who has donated. This email will contain the reveal of the winners of the prize pool, the CM Store credit coupon code (if you’ve donated $30 or more) and further information about when and where the MM711 RETRO can be bought.
NuklearModdz is a moniker we use when designing and creating PC mods. Our latest creation being a fully 3D printed case that took 1626 hours of printing with over 300 hours of work. We also made a mod out of Cooler Master’s H500P case using the same color scheme. Those that know us would immediately recognize it as being from our team. Red, black and white are too mainstream and overdone, and we hope that others would like to buck the trend cause NuklearModdz never goes mainstream! So if you also want to be ‘other,’ then join us and vote for our design!
MM711 PPE Edition With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the utilitarian yet absolutely vital area of personal protective equipment (PPE) has never been in more of our minds. Makers across the globe rallied to design and manufacture PPE for medical professionals, and everyone is wondering what they can do to help. As medical experts have made clear, however, the most effective thing that most of us can do is to stay in our homes to prevent the virus from spreading. Therefore, the humble mouse can become an effective piece of personal protective equipment, helping us occupy our time while we stay indoors with a favorite game. In that spirit, my color scheme was inspired by the PPE items that keep us protected more directly: transparent frosted shell inspired by clear face shields, white base/side buttons and baby blue left/right click drawn from the colors of face masks, and a high-visibility orange accent on the wheel.
While researching for a nice colour palette, I considered making something focused around the whole COVID-19 situation, but eventually decided not to for a couple of reasons. I felt like it would limit my options in terms of colour, and it might remind some people of these trying times even after everything ends. I tried looking for something that’s calm and would fit in with a lot of setups (it is going to be a product people want to buy, after all), but I did not want to sacrifice on the personality of the mouse. My country, the Netherlands, is not exactly known for having a lot of hilly terrain, but I have always had a fondness for mountains, so I decided to use a lighter and darker shade of a warm, rocky gray and combine it with a touch of green in the accents. The result is a color scheme that is not overpowering, but still has a lot of character and pop I hoped to achieve! And that’s the story of the M(ossy) M(ountain) 711!
A safe place to touch
With everything happening in the world right now, it’s never been more important for everyone to stay home as much as possible to help save lives . But nobody can stay alone all the time. Therefore, I designed this mouse with warm colors to remind us of the good times and what it feels like to touch something warm and safe.
How To Design
Create the best looking color-scheme! Choose from matte, glossy or metallic paints or mix and match! Keep in mind this is not a mouse mod and will actually be manufactured! Each section below needs to be only one color and coating. But each section’s color can be up to you!
1. Top honeycomb Shell
2. Side Buttons
3. Scroll Wheel
4. Left & Right Click (need to be same color)
5. DPI Button
6. Inner Body and Sides
7. Bottom Base
Here is a quick overview of the rules and important dates!
- Submit your design before May 11.
- The designs will be voted on May 19 – 22.
- The winning design will be revealed on May 26.
- The donation period will be May 26 – June 26.
- The winner will receive a product package worth over 1K USD.
Got more questions? We got the answers!
Click on the tabs below for more details.
Work must be submitted via the contest main page contact form.
Each submission will require:
- Your name, email and country.
- A design description.
- How did you come up with your idea and why is it important to you?
- Use all the angles provided if you’re using photoshop. Attach as JPG, PNG or PDF file.
- 3D file
- If rendered using the 3D files, choose at least 3 angles to show. You can reference the angles included with the photoshop file. Render as JPG, PNG or PDF file or upload a video of your render in a MP4 file or link to your Youtube upload in the Design Discription field.
- Hand drawn
- Take a photo of your drawing on a well-lit, flat surface like a table. You can be creative with placement of your hand drawing along with whatever pencils, crayons, etc you used to draw. Upload photo as JPG or PNG.
Content of entries
Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Without limiting the Sponsor’s discretion, entries must not include any content that:is sexualy explicit or suggestive; unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic; contains nudity.
- Promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message.
- Is obscene or offensive; endorses any form of hate or hate group; appears to duplicate any other submitted entries.
- Defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies contains any personal identification, such as license plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses.
- Contains celebrities and/or other public or private figures; living or dead, without permission.
- Contains 3rd party advertisement that is not Cooler Master and brand-related images or text communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate violates any law.
“Why Don’t You Just Sell the Mouse and Donate the Profits?”
The main reason we’re setting up a fundraiser page instead of handling the donations on our end is transparency and speed. Instead of waiting to manufacture and sell the mouse to take the proceeds and donate it, we’re having potential customers donate directly to charity right away for immediate relief. You know exactly how much is going to charity and it goes immediately to the charity organization instead of having to wait for the product to be manufactured. And since you made the donation directly to charity via the fundraiser page, not a single cent of the donations will come to us.
We will be setting up a donation page on Tiltify, a platform that enables individuals and companies to collect money for a charity. 100% of donations will go directly to the charity that we’ve selected, Direct Relief.
Tiltify is a trusted platform of choice by the gaming community: companies, influencers, streamers, media, and esports orgs have all used it. It also offers a tiered system so we’re able to include rewards like a donation of ANY amount, even $1, will enter you into a raffle to win the mouse.
Tiltify also completely makes it transparent on how much is actually donated because the donations are instantly going to the charity. We also have no idea how COVID-19 is going to play out in the months ahead. In order to provide instant relief, launching on Tiltify is the best way to do it.
“So can I just come up with any type of design?”
Pretty much, as long as you use one color per section of the mouse. Check out the HOW TO DESIGN section for more info.
Got dem photoshop skills? Show us. Fill in all the angles provided in the renders and choose your color scheme and coatings. Having a difficult time getting across the type of coating? Feel free to label them on the render page.
So you’re actually able to use 3D files and render the mouse yourself? Well that’s awesome! Make sure to include at least 3 angles. You can reference the renders in the photoshop section for the type of angles we’re looking for.
Are you more tactile? Well pick up some coloring pencils, crayons, or whatever and draw away to your heart’s content. It’s okay to label you coatings like matte, gloss or metallic if it’s too difficult to draw them.