Sign in to follow this  
crazyg0od33

Cosmos 2 Liquid Cooling Help

crazyg0od33    0

Hey all,

So I'm looking at getting the Cosmos 2 for my next upgrade (pretty much a new system). I'm making my first dive into the water cooling world as well. The only thing I've been hearing and am worried about is the clearance between a top mounted radiator and the motherboard. I have a thread over at EVGA (http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1427502) that details the parts I currently have. I was wondering what the clearance is on this case, so I can determine I'f I can support a push/pull fan setup. My radiator is a 360mm Black Ice Stealth GT, which is 29.6mm thick.

Thanks all

Icejon    0

While the radiator itself will fit, it would be helpful to know what motherboard you have. Clearance depends on where your socket and memory are. Let me know more details.

footman    0

The Cosmos ll has plenty of room for 3x120 fans in the space just above the main enclosure, there is also more than 55mm of clearnace at the top for a 30mm rad and 25mm fan in the top of the main enclosure and it will not interfere with your maotherboard.

What are you planning on cooling with the water setup? Cpu on its own, cpu and gpu or cpu and multiple gpu's. Is your reason for going to cool with water for quiet or out and out overclocking performance?

To be honest the Black Ice Stealth GT radiator is a poor choice for most water cooled projects, it is a 30fpi (fin per inch) rad and this means that you will need a screamer of a fan to push air through it. Do not expect this rad to do well with anything less than 2200rpm fans, 6 of these will be deafening...

I have been building watercooled computers for almost 7 years now and most people that want water do it to reduce noise. Push/pull is a waste of time and space and results in more noise.

Let me know what you are trying to cool and your reasons for cooling and I will help you choose decent components.

The Cosmos ll is a great case, if you want more room at the top then you will need to find cases like the Ennermax Fulmo GT which has space at the top for a second power supply (you can use this space for extra thick rad like the XSPC RX range, this has low fpi of I believe 12 which makes it ideal for low noise low rpm fans like the Bitfenix Spectre Pro 1200 rpm fans or the 1150rpm Scythe Gentle Typhoon.

Cheers.

Mr Footman;

> Let me know what you are trying to cool and your reasons for cooling and I will help you choose decent >components.

I am planning my HEDT build well in advance.  I do a fair amount of video encoding using "Handbrake" which multithreads very well.  Handbrake can peg all the CPUs at 100% for hours on end,  I do game and do other office work but by far the most demanding task for the PC will be the encoding.  In July when Intel comes out with the 8 core 16 thread Haswell-E CPU (140w) I will purchase one along with a ASUS x99 chipset motherboard.

Good Friday, on 4/18/14, I ordered my first system component, a brand new Cosmos II case from Newegg. I have done a little water cooling 5 years ago.  In my opinion a $1000 140w CPU at full throttle over night deserves a reliable water cooling solution.

Closed loop water cooling systems under serious consideration would include:

1) Corsair H110

2) CoolMaster Nepton 280L

3) CoolMaster Glacer 240L

4) ThermalTake Water 3.0 Extreme

5) CoolMaster Glacier 360L

6) Enermax Liqtech 240

At this time I only intend to water cool the CPU and the preferred radiator location would be in the "roof" of the Cosmos II case.  I sometimes over clock, moderately.  I could have steady 200W of heat I need to dump.  I don't know anything about the MB selection yet, and I wonder which  CoolMaster systems are made to "drop in" the Cosmos II case.

In doing my research I did come across this quote, and I'd like your reaction to it.  (bad grammar and bad spelling aside)

"I would go with the Glacer 240L. The Nepton seems pretty comparable temperature wise and it is not expandable. At full speed it's about as loud as the H100i too. I don't know about you, but that's wayyyyyyy too loud for me. I don't think there really is any benefit to the Nepton over the Glacer. The Glacer is much quieter, cools the same, costs the same, and is expandable to include another waterblock and radiator."

I will have eight (4TB) WD green drives to back up the NAS in the Cosmos II case, they don't work too hard or get too warm, and a single air cooled Nvidia GTX 680 which has a reasonably easy life.  In theory I could see SLI even with water cooling but so far what I have works very well.  If I am gaming I am not encoding, and when I am encoding I am not gaming. 

In theory the more water in a closed loop system the longer the times it takes a given quantity of heat to raise the water temps.  The more radiator surface the greater capacity to extract heat.  I can run Handbrake for 8-12 hours at a time (over night) so an over-cooled system (as in excess cooling capacity) actually is very desirable. 

The Corsair H110 and Nepton 280 sport 140mm fans and so does the Cosmos II case has that width to fill,  but I realize often things are never as simple as that so if you have done a lot of this I would value your advise.

Thank You

Timothy Wright