Sign in to follow this  
footman

Latest HAF-X needs redesign please...

footman    0

Just replaced my old test bed X58 with new As Rock P67 Extreme 4 motherboard and guess what, the cpu cutout at the back of the motherboard tray is in the wrong position for this cpu. Most of the P67 and P68 boards if not all of them have the cpu placed in a similar location, so be aware that two cpu mounting holes are not accessible and the motherboard needs to be removed to change the cooler. I had no issues with the X58. I suppose I could mod with my dremel.......

Cody Irwin    0

I agree, I was dissapointed when I built my new rig for first time in 3 years from my first rig going to a q6600 with a asus p5n-d with a antec 900 first one released.

To a p8p67 pro 2600k in a hafx, Especially when all coolers make you put something in the back of the mobo now that are good, its a pain in the a#$ taking my mobo off to replace tim and reinstall my cpu cooler with a cooler that requires you to tighten in from the back. im also not handy with tools so I cant make the cutout bigger :-\ nor do I want to as it is.

footman    0

Perhaps I'll post in the beta tester section as well.....

No point having cpu cut out if it does not fit the current platforms....

footman    0

Double Post, but see no reason why not to re-post in Chassis section too...

How about an update and show and tell :-)

The Dremel had to come out, if there is one thing I hate it's having to remove motherboard to re-apply TIM or change out coolers for testing....

P1060384.JPG

See only two of the 4 holes accessible...

P1060387.JPG

Little fast and dirty dremel work...

P1060390.JPG

All holes accessible and no issue with having to cut out brass standoffs thank heavens.

P1060392.JPG

Backplate for Silver Arrow installed. Job done.

Although I think I may have voided my warranty :-)

jjustinia11    0

I just came to post the same thing...the design is crap. why should I need to get out a dremel and void a warrenty to avail myself of an advertised benefit....What is coolermaster going to do to help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

footman    0

I've had no issue with the case since my modification, it does not appear to have affected rigidity and I have moved this case about quite a bit.

It was a bit of a pain to have to mod the case myself, but as new motherboards are released the case design needs to keep up. I work for a company that manufactures hardware so I am well aware of the R&D cycles in order to get a new product to market.

There will be an obvious delay between releasing a new motherboard with cpu position and a redesign of a case motherboard tray. This is disappointing, but inevitable. Just remember when we had no cpu cutouts. I believe that CM were the first to market with this idea in their HAF-932.

It did bum me out at the time, but I cut out the minimum as you can see from the photo and did not cut out any of the brass standoff's.....

I change my cpu cooler every few weeks to test and re-test configurations so having a decent working cpu cutout is important for me. Most computer builders are going to install a cpu cooler and not change it until they upgrade motherboard/cpu or replace TIM so perhaps once a year or once every 18 months....

My guess is we will see a revision soon, like we did with the USB 3.0....

Good luck.