Sign in to follow this  
Kayin

Whaler's Heading, CM Modding Contest 2011 entry

Kayin    0

We're all back home, safe, happy and snorting. Was a simple BPD attack. Scary but manageable.

And with no further ado...

Picture%20230.jpg

Both stays shaped properly...

Picture%20231.jpg

and stained to match...

Picture%20232.jpg

And black blobs on sticks...

Picture%20233.jpg

New jigsaw!

Picture%20235.jpg

The top hole cut, as well as most of the back done.

Picture%20239.jpg

All right, it's chemistry lesson time. Fastest way to increase surface area on a waterblock using only household chemicals is...

Picture%20240.jpg

First, water to passivate the reaction...

Picture%20241.jpg

First we pour in ammonia to cover, plus a bit-not much, a millimeter or two over the top of the blocks.

Picture%20242.jpg

Next, household peroxide. Trust me, this will be fun.

Picture%20244.jpg

The solution starts to bubble...

Picture%20245.jpg

Really going now...

Picture%20246.jpg

Almost there...

Picture%20247.jpg

And passivated out. Notice the blocks are darker?

Picture%20248.jpg

And the base on #3 shows before on the left and after on the right. For comparison I disassembled my MIPS block.

Picture%20249.jpg

One cleat on...

Picture%20250.jpg

Remember our black blobs? They're plugs for countersunk holes. Just adds some completion in there.

Picture%20251.jpg

The other side on...

Picture%20252.jpg

And plugs in place.

Picture%20254.jpg

The motherboard tray fits well enough...

Picture%20255.jpg

As do the radiators. The tray needs to have some trimmed off the front though... Also, notice the PSU? There's only 12v wires. The board actually converts its own 5v and 3.3v onboard. Nifty, no?

Picture%20256.jpg

Starting to come together...

Picture%20257.jpg

And initial test fitment of the hard drive cage. It works well where it is, just needs to be trimmed down some. That'll get done in the next few days, so I can transfer off my info from my i7 machine, DBAN the drives ( I always do it, it just makes for cleaner installs from one OS to the other) and start assembling in the case.

Large update, but it's finally coming together now.

Pobbrett    0

hope all is well with you and the family but posting picks of your baby in a modding forum people may think you've water cooled him, hope your little one feels better soon its a worry when they get ill young cos they just cant tell you whats wrong

Kayin    0

All right, back with more.

Sorry it's been a few days, we get a 5GB/month cap out where we live. We already made it for the month, so I had to borrow the library.

With no further ado...

DSC03426.JPG

Cutting corian for waterblock tops...

DSC03427.JPG

Drilled for screws...

DSC03428.JPG

Base mounted...

DSC03429.JPG

Pegs test fitting...

DSC03430.JPG

And it works. Yes, it's missing inlet/outlet. That comes in a bit.

DSC03431.JPG

More on my mounting there...

DSC03436.JPG

Two...

DSC03437.JPG

Three...

DSC03438.JPG

And all four mounted to the board. Picked up new screws today to mount the block tops to the bases with, so the pegs will fit more uniformly.

DSC03440.JPG

And mocked up with the chipset block. It's coming together, slowly but surely.

DSC03441.JPG

Legs for the monster...

DSC03442.JPG

Mounted-the hole in the base is one big intake. It intakes from the bottom and should exhaust from the rear when I finish that part up.

DSC03446.JPG

Tops drilled and tapped. Told you I would...

DSC03447.JPG

A pause to mock some things up...

DSC03448.JPG

If I run it this way, all fans are motherboard controlled...

DSC03449.JPG

And my top window-a 13x19 slab of 1/2" acrylic. In other words, coffee table material.

Well, today the weather isn't cooperating, but I should have more to show in a day or so. Up next is cutting and fitting the corian for the top, scrimshawing it and the block tops, and waiting on my fittings, tubing, VGA block, and lighting to come in. It's all tested, and it works just fine. Also, I have to figure out where to stuff my 2 1TB HDDs. Not as big an issue as it sounds, though. I think I already have the perfect place.

Remember, red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky at morning, sailor take warning.

Kayin    0

All right, I'm finally back, after a cracked bone in my arm and FTP wrangling-there is no rest for the wicked...

066.JPG

If you want your sleeving to look like rope, then you need rope. Or bricklayer's twine, as is the case here.

067.JPG

And it's on pretty tight, as you can see here.

068.JPG

The power supply, sleeved in twine. You'll notice the molex and sata connectors are sleeved as though they are knots...

069.JPG

More detail on that.

070.JPG

All the PSU leads whipped together to ease handling under the tray...

071.JPG

Rough cut to accept the motherboard tray and show how the interior is setup.

072.JPG

Giving the radiator the same treatment...

073.JPG

Test fitting as I go...

074.JPG

And more test fitting...

075.JPG

A mock-up of the view through the window...

076.JPG

And aging the beckets and sleeving. On a whaling vessel, all rope would have been tarred, and therefore all of this is coated with wood stain in a color approximating pine tar.

077.JPG

Without flash showing more of the true color, as well as showing the parts the stain wouldn't reach, just like a regular one.

078.JPG

Radiator sleeving coated...

079.JPG

The other side coated...

080.JPG

The PSU cables coated...

081.JPG

A scrimshawed water block, ready for leak testing...

And while I have a good bit more progress, I'll let this ride for a bit for an update. I may upload more later today.

Kayin    0

Back at it again, trying to get all my progress uploaded before we go tomorrow.

001.JPG

Getting ready for something...

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Whatever it is, it involves thermal pads.

008.JPG

If you guessed waterblock, you got it right.

009.JPG

Doesn't look half bad, either. My original plan was to make the top from 1/2" Corian like the CPU blocks, but honestly I have a better plan for this. You'll see.

010.JPG

And here's another nice seldom-seen item-8x1 fittings, these in copper.

011.JPG

Fittings on blocks, and the second scrimshawed block is visible. It's a whale.

012.JPG

Ready to make these right for this board-it's a pain jamming in all manner of strange connectors, sometimes backwards.

013.JPG

Got the PSU colored up and ready to install...

014.JPG

Masterkleer 8x1 blue tubing...

015.JPG

Chipset block with fittings, checking for length of tubing...

016.JPG

Crabs.

017.JPG

Sleeved and tarred liquid neon tubes...

018.JPG

Brass, mocked up for the back panel coating. Will be cutting I/O and finalizing PSU mount this week hopefully, and this will be tacked down with brass nails.

019.JPG

The liquid neons alone...

020.JPG

And with the crabs, as they're chipset coolers and a light source as well.

023.JPG

An in progress of the interior...

024.JPG

The better idea I had. There's a dead spot of light in that area from the neons, this fixes it and makes the card look cool.

026.JPG

Gluing up the corian to the top. Yes, it looks ragged. That's intentional-remember the edges of the block I posted first? I'll be having fun with the aging on this top when I get to scrimshawing it.

027.JPG

And a more lined-up picture. I still need to stain the interior of that cut and clean it up a bit better, but I had to get everything attached and aligned before I started putting things in final place.

If the cracks end up too bad, I'll fix them with white caulk when I waterproof the window. This WILL be an end table, after all...

All right, I'm tired, the cat is hyper and Snort is having a deep, serious conversation with Mr. Bumpy. I'll see you all next post. This finally gets me up to date. The end is in sight, just need to keep my wits about me and my head above water.

PaPang    0

Well it appeared to be a fine effort but no final pics as of today means no finish unless they extend the final date. You never know! Would another week mean anything to ya'?

Cheers and Saludos