Sign in to follow this  
Grump

Grump's Wave

Grump    0
Wow. Your case is coming along awesome. :) I can't wait until it is completed.

Thank you. It is, however, a long way from complete. I hope you can stay tuned. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------

In my last post, it may have looked like the acrylic work was finished. Not quite. If you look at the picture of the yellow panel, the black outline piece looks to have very dull edges -- its finish does not have the lustre it should. At least not what I want, anyway.

gc476.jpg

gc478.jpg

gc482.jpg

gc490.jpg

Even after more smoothing with some fine files, the edges are still rough. I used progressively finer grit sandpaper -- the wet/dry variety -- until I got to 2000 grit and as smooth as a baby's... Well, you get the picture. Even then, the finish was dull in appearance, so a little dab of Novus 2 and a lot of rubbing, the gloss is really nice.

That was a LOT of sanding. I think, after sanding and finishing the edges of both pieces of acrylic, I must have put about 2 hours of elbow grease into it. It's worth it, I promise.

I am now ready to permanently glue the black acrylic in place. I roughed up the mating surfaces, being very careful not to sand any part that might show, applied some clear silicone adhesive and placed the piece in position. There's a little bit of working time, so I made a couple of adjustments before I weighted the piece so it would be firmly embedded into the adhesive.

The excitement mounts because this is a part of the case that will get a lot of attention. It is, after all, what defines this as "The Grump Case". I temporally taped the orange acrylic in place and turned it over. I love how the reflection of the overhead light makes it appear almost alive.

gc496.jpg

And yet, it's not done. Nope, the orange acrylic piece still needs to be worked over, the fans and teeth added, switches mounted -- jeez, will it ever end. :mrgreen:

---------------------------------------------------------

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned Chris Baltar, of Custom Water Cuts -- he did the teeth fan grill. Well, as I briefly mentioned, he also designed (based on my avatar) and cut the single fan grill that will reside on the backplane of the case.

gc177.jpg

gc283.jpg

He does beautiful work. If you ever find a need or desire to have almost anything water jet cut, visit his site and give him the opportunity to discuss it with you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll post some more on this project in the next day or so. If you have any questions or comments, don't be shy.

Grump

very nice fan grill design. perfect i always say. I like how you pay close attention to the detail and execute it so nicely. Keep it up Grump. We're all here cheering for you and anxiously waiting for you to finish.

Platinum    0
Hi Grump,

I'm lookin to paint my Wavemaster too but I love the brushed alu so much...

Is there anyway I can get the surface to stay the same while only changing the color?

Thanx :D

Hello ::

Yes, There is a Way you can do this the word you may look for is Anodizing This is a procedure done to allot of alluminum you will most likly need to Google for the Area you live in to find a place that can do this for you.

Place I goto is SAPA This company did a Few of my Paintball Gun's and some PC Cases in Full :D They did a Great job but they are located in Portland OR. im sure you can find a Site Close to you on this same detail.

SAPA Web Site

I can give allot of Details about Anodizing if you like just contact me.

Have Fun hope this helped out.

Hi Grump,

I'm lookin to paint my Wavemaster too but I love the brushed alu so much...

Is there anyway I can get the surface to stay the same while only changing the color?

Hello ::

Yes, There is a Way you can do this the word you may look for is Anodizing This is a procedure done to allot of alluminum you will most likly need to Google for the Area you live in to find a place that can do this for you.

Place I goto is SAPA This company did a Few of my Paintball Gun's and some PC Cases in Full :D They did a Great job but they are located in Portland OR. im sure you can find a Site Close to you on this same detail.

SAPA Web Site

I can give allot of Details about Anodizing if you like just contact me.

Have Fun hope this helped out.

Hi,

Thanks alot for the reply....

So does this mean :

Brushed Alu = Anodized Alu ?

I'm a newbie here :oops:

Grump    0

Hi all,

I thought I would take a break from the acrylic work tonight and show you what I did with some accent painting. I'm sure you've noticed the difference in the side panel -- that yellow paint around the edge of the cutout. Well, I have that "fogging" in a few places.

Many years ago, when I was into building and customizing model cars, I remember an article I read about this type of fogging. It described the process and had pictures how it was done. This, of course, was in relation to full-size automobiles, but it was one of the few sources of information I could relate to my models.

It's funny how I have a hard time remembering names and information now, but I recall this article from the 60s. Anywho, to get the effect I wanted -- that soft, feather edge around a feature -- a template in the shape of the fogged area has to be taped on the object so that it is slightly raised off the surface. This way, when you spray the paint, it gets a little under the raised edge.

gc306.jpg

Of course, it's always a good idea, when trying something new like this, to take a practice run on something that won't matter if you ruin it. In this case, I used some cardboard. I had to spray the paint so I could control the amount of "bleed" under the raised edge.

gc309.jpg

It turned out pretty good -- for a piece of cardboard. ;) The point is, I knew it would give me the effect I wanted, as long as I placed the template at the right height and paid close attention to the amount and direction of the paint.

gc314.jpg

Since my surface is powder coated, I had to sand the narrow area of the fogging so that the paint would adhere. Blue painter's tape is excellent for masking and other purposes. It releases easily and doesn't pull other paint off with it. Of course, I am masking powder coat, which is very sturdy and won't peel off even if I used duct tape, but it's what I use in my job and on all my mods.

gc316.jpg

Although I wanted the same effect around the cutout on the side panel, I didn't want the fogging to encircle the whole thing. Remember, I am trying to do a caricature of my avatar and it has an uneven yellow fogging around it too.

gc318.jpg

As you can see, there is a gap between the paper template and the metal surface and it's not the same all around. I s'pose you could get very precise in your own use of this technique, but I am not after a symmetrical look -- very asymmetrical.

gc325.jpg

I sprayed some thin coats of paint on the pieces, actually holding the pieces in my hand and turning them so that I could have better control of the paint. I did several coats about 10 minutes apart.

gc332.jpg

With the template taped on and the area so small, it would have been very difficult to sand between coats. It wouldn't have been very practical to apply clear coat either, so I used enamel, which doesn't require sanding between coats (it is too soft and actually balls up when you try to sand it before it cures) and has a very glossy appearance, so doesn't need clear coating. I did have to use a little paint thinner (mineral spirits) to clean up the edges -- there is a certain amount of over-spray that needs to be removed for a better defined edge.

gc333.jpg

With all this attention to details, you'da thought I woulda used gloves, fer cripes sake. I can act like such a n00b sometimes. :roll:

gc339.jpg

One of the areas that gets this effect is the top fan (I preferred the fan to the accessory panel for this mod), so I decided, in order for it to look right, the fan guard had to be the same color. I did the same to other features of this project, as you'll see in future installments.

gc344.jpg

I was very pleased with the way it turned out. I thought the textured green powder coating, as beautiful as it is, just need something more to liven it up.

gc509.jpg

Talk about livening it up...

Well, we'll get into those switches in a later post. But they do make for the perfect eyes though, don't they?

Thanks for all the attention. I'm glad you're enjoying this. I do hope though, that some of you will post some of your own mods (in another thread, of course) and worklogs. I know some of you have talents we'd all like to see you share.

Grump