Sign in to follow this  
Grump

Grump's Wave

Platinum    0

Great Case Grump..

You live in California?

If so would like to come visit ya possibly share some Idea's for some Case mod's :) I got about 8 Cooler Master Cases that will be worked on Soon Possibly we could work some idea's out. (My shop will do all the work, no worries) Possibly Email me or PM me :)

Keep the TV Show going for the Peep's "Good Fun"

Allway's keep the Advitar Logo in your Cases. I have seen allot of your Work and they all turn out Very cool.

We all will be waiting to see the finished product Stay Well and Get Better.

Platinum, Grump is planning a trip to visit CM USA Ontario office to work out some cases with me. Would you like to join us?

Grump    0
Grump, I would love to see this case in person when you decide to visit me. The side panel is amazing! Nice case mod

Thank you. I had planned on flying down and wouldn't want to trust them with the well-being of my computer. I s'pose I could drive down instead, but that's a long drive for me -- about 500 miles. We'll figer something out.

Grump, I'm still waiting... :D

I work during the day (and sometimes late into the evening like tonight), so I can't post or work on the project any time I want. And when Jessica gives me something to do, that has priority -- you know how that is. :mrgreen:

...would like to come visit ya possibly share some Idea's for some Case mod's :)

Drop me a line -- email is listed here. I'm in the Northern part of CA -- just 80 miles NW of Reno, NV.

Now, on with tonight's episode...

Grump    0

A couple of years ago, I did a tutorial on cutting cases. It was a simple window cutout, but clean and smooth looking.

WindowCut19tn.jpg

Cutting a window is not terribly difficult. You need a plan, of course, and the right tools, a steady and firm hand and you have to follow through to clean up the details. As you saw in the previous post, I had a plan. Now I need to gather the tools...

My favorite cutting tool is a Bosch variable speed jigsaw.

jigsaw02.jpg

My father told me never to lend out my tools, but how can you say no to a neighbor. ;)

Let's see, where was I? Oh yeah, cutting the side panel.

gc059.jpg

I positioned the window shape on the panel after marking where the hard drive cage and power supply are located. I didn't want to have the view inside the case marred by something boring.

I traced the pattern onto the metal and then drilled the first of several holes to help me position the jigsaw.

gc064.jpg

Ever hear of Norm Abrams, of New Yankee Workshop fame (also "This Old House" and other home improvement shows)? Well, I like what he says at the beginning of each of his shows: "Be sure to read and understand the instructions for operating your power tools. And there's nothing more important than safety glasses."

gc069.jpg

He's right too. Using a jigsaw, Dremel and other power tools can be dangerous for your eyes and your lungs. There's metal particles and dust, and cutting bits can break and fly through the air, so be careful.

There are a lot of modders who swear by their Dremel tools. They are an excellent tool, but they are not the end-all, be-all of modding tools. There really are very few cuts that a jigsaw can't make. But I like my Dremel too.

gc100.jpg

Even with a good Dremel or jigsaw, the cuts need to be dressed. There's gonna be burrs and jagged edges that need to be filed and/or sanded. Yes, you can use one of the hundreds of different bits for your Dremel, but sometimes you just need to do a little hand work for a very fine finished edge.

gc072.jpg

gc077.jpg

And sometimes, I make a boo-boo. The picture below shows where my jigsaw bit (I use a fine metal cutting bit for thin metal and for acrylics) snagged the edge and bent the corner a bit. It doesn't look too bad, but it's nearly impossible to just bend it back in place.

gc083.jpg

Being a tool addict like I am, I just happened to have the tools I needed to make this small repair.

gc087.jpg

So, finally the side panel has taken on the decidedly ugly silhouette of my mug.

gc108.jpg

Some cutting, some filing and sanding... Notice the plywood under the panel with almost the same cuttings? The trick to cutting thin metal, like the aluminuminuminum Cooler Master side panels, is to back them up with a sturdy piece of plywood. Clamp them down together and hold your jigsaw firmly and move it steadily.

gc091.jpg

That's the basic cutout. We're not done yet, of course. There's more details to cut and the window material needs to be cut and fitted. More about that next time. I can't promise you progress notes and pictures every day, but there'll be lots of interesting work on this project in the days ahead.

Grump

Man Grump you put my case mod to shame!!! LOL I will try to put my CM case mod as well when I have the chance. Man everyday I wake up, showed up to work, and axiously waiting to see another episode. Keep it coming buddy! Love the neighbor as well! :D

Platinum    0

Grump :: Looking Great on the Work giving people new hope to PC Mod's

Keep up the Great work.

I will Send you a E-Mail Grump. I live in Washington and Oregon - Depend's were I am for the day :). so a Drive or a Fly down is O.K.

Chat with ya Soon.

Platinum, Grump is planning a trip to visit CM USA Ontario office to work out some cases with me. Would you like to join us?

bigbadbns :: Yes this would be very cool. would love to stop by should not be far for me to come by and say hello and what not :wink:

Send me a E-Mail of when you would like me to come up. I have a few thing's going on the next month, But I should be available allmst anytime after.

My Email info is ::

X2K_Platinum@msn.com

platinum@clan-x2k.com

All E-Mail's are forwarded to my Cell Phone as well so i get them pretty fast no matter were I am.

Grump Keep up the great TV shop seem to catch allot of peeeples Eyes. "Cheer's"

Grump    0
Man Grump you put my case mod to shame!!! LOL I will try to put my CM case mod as well when I have the chance. Man everyday I wake up, showed up to work, and axiously waiting to see another episode. Keep it coming buddy! Love the neighbor as well! :D

Thank you, bigbadbns, I appreciate the encouragement. I'll tell ya though, there are a lot of great modders out there. I was first inspired a couple of years ago when I was researching the parts for a new computer. Up to that time, I had only put machines together, nothing fancy and certainly nothing you could consider a mod. I stumbled on some pictures of a modded computer in a review, found more, discovered a website forum specifically for modders and was hooked.

I do know I ain't the best modder around. I think I do a good job, but there are some very inventive and talented people in the modding world. One thing I got going for me is I have been using hand tools for a good many years and I have customized model cars and worked in a business that requires coming up with innovative and decorative solutions to a variety of situations involving interiors, so many of the modding tasks are familiar to me.

Looking Great on the Work giving people new hope to PC Mod's

Keep up the Great work.

I will Send you a E-Mail Grump.

Thanks. I look forward to your email.

I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day holiday. It's a somber occasion, but we usually find time to relax and do the things we enjoy. I took the 3 days off and am having fun working on this project and spending time with my mother (who loves watching the progress too) and friends. Had dinner tonight at my best friend's house and, as usual, ate too much. We had a good visit, but I was anxious to get back to you guys.

So, on with it...

Grump    0

In the last segment, I finished the basic cutting of the case panel. For many people, this will be the extent of their window -- a single design and single panel of "glass". As you can see from my avatar, there just has to be more to the window than that.

And that's the last time I'll refer to this as a window. The reason is because it's not really a window. Not in the sense that it is there to look through at the motherboard and whatnot. Although the acrylic panel will be translucent and there will be some illumination, it's a design in the side of my case, not a window. I hope that people will be looking at the outside of my case, not peering into the guts.

But it still begins with a single pane of cell cast polycarbonate -- or what most folks refer to as "Plexi" or "Acrylic".

gc130.jpg

I do want to mention the vendors I've used for this project because some of you will want to know where to get certain things. I live in the USA, so the vendors I use are US based. I get all my acrylics from Delvie's Plastics. They are located in Utah, but they ship all over the US. The price is good and the quality is unsurpassed. ALL of their colored acrylic panels are cell cast -- the highest quality of manufacturing. It cuts easy, I've been told it forms well and it has a clarity and depth that really make your project stand out.

If you are doing a case window mod and only want a single panel, this is where you would be painting the case, then gluing it on the door. Use a good silicone adhesive, a little weight for a half hour or so and you're done. That's not what I'm doing, so I mount the acrylic (the paper stays on until nearly the end) temporarily to the backside of the door.

gc131.jpg

Notice I label the top and backside of the panel. Again, I try to be organized. It might not be necessary to do all that labeling, but I'm glad I did, since this project sat idle for a few months.

One of the major components to this panel design is the use of 2 80mm fans. That's what the teeth are for -- a fan grill of sorts.

gc135.jpg

gc152.jpg

I trace the cardboard template onto the paper protective covering of the acrylic as I position it on the mouth part of the case cutout. The actual teeth, as well as the Grump Fan Grill, were cut for me by Chris Baltar of Custom Water Cuts. I sent him the design template of the teeth and he water jet cut 2 of them for me. I asked him to design the Grump Grill and he did a fabulous job.

gc140.jpg

gc142.jpg

Cutting acrylic is very similar to cutting the aluminuminuminum side panels. I used a piece of plywood to back up the material, drill a couple of starter holes and cut on a medium speed.

To give my side panel design a bit more dimension and to add interesting detail, I want to outline the cutout in black acrylic and have a few black accents -- similar to my avatar. This means a little more cutting of the metal...

gc158.jpg

...and a lot more filing and sanding, of course.

gc161.jpg

Then I placed a piece of black acrylic behind the cutout and traced the added details and the main cutout onto the protective paper. This piece will have fairly narrow sides, so I have to be careful with this fragile material.

gc168.jpg

gc172.jpg

Trial fits and more filing and sanding -- this is where it gets rather tedious, but I must get it just so...

gc174.jpg

There is a lot of work that was done after this in the preparation and painting, but the paint finish did not turn out like I wanted and then I got sick. So, the project got shelved for a long time while I tried to recuperate and also try to manage my business. I decided to pick it up again just a few days before this thread got started, so, after this next picture, the last one for tonight, everything you see will be recent.

The paint scheme has changed and I think the quality of the project is on a much higher level that its original incarnation. Well, I guess you need to decide that for yourself. I just hope you enjoy the progress and see that this is something you can do too.

gc_original_plan02.jpg

Until next time...