Sign in to follow this  
Darthgamer

Turning down RPM

Darthgamer    0

I just built a new computer and I got myself a Coolermaster V6 GT for my cpu. Install went fine and it was all good, until I flipped it on.

The fans on it are pretty loud. I figured that with the larger fans it could have them spinning at lower speeds, making it a bit quiter. Also, being at the price it is I kinda expected something a little more quiet.

Anyways, I want to turn down a speed a bit, but I am a bit hesitant. Firstly, I don't know how to go about the process of turning it down itself. Secondly, what RPM is the best choice? Obviously I don't want to turn it down so much it does damage to my computer, but I would still like to knock off a few decibels. What would be a safe speed for it?

Question:

How do you have the fans plugged in?: Motherboard or power supply?

If motherboard:

Please make sure you select Auto or quiet under the bios settings.

Darthgamer    0

I checked the Bios but the only option that I saw for changing the fan was called "smart fan target" which, when selected, gave me the options:

40 degrees C

45 degrees C

50 degrees C

55 degrees C

60 degrees C

65 degrees C

70 degrees C

I'm pretty sure thats a little different than you where talking about. I assume that it is a threshhold at which the fan will kick in at high gear, but I'm not sure.

My motherboard is a MSI Big Bang XPower.

IceDati    0

On my asus board i use a tool tha comes with AiSuite called AiGear 2 but there are only two speeds 2200RPM= loud and 1100RPM=you can't even hear the fans ..

c2222aptur.jpg

IceDati    0

Just download OCCT from here

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

Run it and see what temps you will get on 100% CPU Fan .. let it run for like 5 minutes

Than lower down the RPM run it again and see what heppens .. the temperature must not go over 60 Celsius under full load ... so if you hit 60 its safe ... more that that and you need higher RPM ... Btw you have killer Mainboard and you dont even know where to lower the fans .. shame on you .. I'm running V6GT on my old modified asus p5kc mainboard on 3.6GHZ @ 1100 RPM never hits more than 45-50 C .. i can go up to 4GHz on 2200Rpm but there is no point the board will run for some time and then it will die on me .. and i dont want that do i :D:bounce:

Darthgamer    0

Well, thanks for the advice.

I have always been able to get by without messing too much with the Bios and stuff and I don't really overclock, so I don't have much experience with it.

When I was buying all the stuff for my computer I figured "why the :) not" I might not need all the features but just in case I do I will have it. Seems like everything is cheaper since I last built a computer.