Sign in to follow this  
hirschma

Get rid of Stacker Control Panel?

hirschma    0

Before I buy my Stacker, one quick question: is there a way to get rid of the control panel, and get the use of the 12th bay? I want to put lots of hard drives in this puppy.

Answers/suggestions appreciated.

JH

Halogen    0

The front panel is removable. I relocated mine to near the bottom of the case since the USB cables were too short to reach the connectors on the card I was connecting them to. You will obviously need to mod the case to put a power switch in somewhere. As a matter of fact if you are just putting a hard drive in you may just be able to leave the front panel in. It is mounted in the top bay which by the way does not support the slide rails like all the other bays do but there are mounting holes to bolt the drive in. The front panel is very short in depth and I believe you could mount the drive behind it especially if you had no need for the firewire and USB cable connections which are removable.

hirschma    0

Halogen-

Thanks for the info. The plan was to put in four 3-bay-to-5-drive hot-swap cage, allowing me to put in 20 hot swap 3.5" drives (and have a huge amount of storage). I'd put in link, but since CM sells something similar, I figured it'd be bad style.

The cage has bolting screws top and bottom, so putting it in isn't an issue.

I'm wondering if I could drill/melt holes in the bezel above the top bay and reposition the power and reset buttons, and the drive/power leds.

BTW, the project will likely consist of two RAID 5 cards each driving 10 drives, striped together via software. Going for a 5+ terabyte storage result. Should be a fun project.

It's either this, or find a case with more 5.25" bays :) They're out there, but man are they fugly.

JH

FOP    0
FOP,

Your avatar... Your dog? I put mine up, a French Bulldog :)

JH

nope, my beans is r.i.p... he was the dopest though.

we're talking about a french bulldog next time but i'm not ready yet...

dropper    0
Halogen-

Thanks for the info. The plan was to put in four 3-bay-to-5-drive hot-swap cage, allowing me to put in 20 hot swap 3.5" drives (and have a huge amount of storage). I'd put in link, but since CM sells something similar, I figured it'd be bad style.

The cage has bolting screws top and bottom, so putting it in isn't an issue.

I'm wondering if I could drill/melt holes in the bezel above the top bay and reposition the power and reset buttons, and the drive/power leds.

BTW, the project will likely consist of two RAID 5 cards each driving 10 drives, striped together via software. Going for a 5+ terabyte storage result. Should be a fun project.

It's either this, or find a case with more 5.25" bays :) They're out there, but man are they fugly.

JH

Sounds really interesting. Are you planning on going with a PCI-X based RAID card, or just plain old PCI?

You should be able to do some minor case mods either on the top or along the right and left sides. On the top, the plastic comes off with a couple of screws, which might make modding it a bit easier.

Why so many drives? The 400's are out right now, but with the 300's at $205 each x 15 drives would give you around 4.5 TB's before RAID 5/3.6 TB's after. With the 400GB drives, that goes to 6 TB/4.8 TB.

Of course 15 $205 drives are $3075. It goes up to 20 x $385 for the 400GB, $7700. 20 of the 300GB drives would cost $4100, so a much better value, but you need all 4 cages.

Were you thinking of this part?

Or, maybe this part?

Keith

hirschma    0

Sounds really interesting. Are you planning on going with a PCI-X based RAID card, or just plain old PCI?

PCI-X. Two of them, either Adaptec or 3Ware. Abit is selling some interesting boards that use consumer CPUs, but "enterprise" chipsets. So, you can get PCI-X on the cheap. Plus, they offer built-in gigabit ethernet either on the PCI-X bus for the AMD version, or bolted right into the chipset (as Intel is want to do). Very good values.

You should be able to do some minor case mods either on the top or along the right and left sides. On the top, the plastic comes off with a couple of screws, which might make modding it a bit easier.

Good info. Thanks.

Why so many drives? The 400's are out right now, but with the 300's at $205 each x 15 drives would give you around 4.5 TB's before RAID 5/3.6 TB's after. With the 400GB drives, that goes to 6 TB/4.8 TB.

Of course 15 $205 drives are $3075. It goes up to 20 x $385 for the 400GB, $7700. 20 of the 300GB drives would cost $4100, so a much better value, but you need all 4 cages.

Were you thinking of this part?

Or, maybe this part?

Keith

400 gig drives are too expensive right now. I price them on a per megabyte basis, so 400's are not a good value. 200's are the best value for larger drives, at about $.55/gig. 300's take that up to $.66/gig, with 250's in the middle. 400's are over $.90/gig, a terrible value.

So, I'll need to balance the price against the size that we need. And remember, with RAID 5, more drives mean more performance and less wasted storage. This not only needs to be big, it needs to be pretty fast.

Since cages are "only" $120 each, saving on one or two cages doesn't make a huge dent. I have a whole spreadsheet for this, where I end up with the price per gig all-in.

rijko    0

Hirschma,

did you ever build this machine ?

Just curious, i am building something alike so your experience would be helpful.

Tia,

Rijko

hirschma    0

I did build the machine, although budget forced me to scale it back somewhat.

The final build consisted of 10 SATA drives - two for a mirrored boot volume, 8 more 250GB drives for the main raid. I used a 3ware 9500 series controller and a Tyan i7520 motherboard with one 3 ghz Xeon. Supermicro 3-to-5 drive cages were the last major component.

I currently have 4 free drive bays, and can free another by removing the DVD drive installed. When/if I add more storage, I'll likely go with higher density drives so I don't have to remove the power button bracket. If I keep what's in the machine, I can have 6 more drives (one 3-to-5 cage, and one hot swap caddy, giving me 6). Or I can remove the DVD and go with one 3-to-5 cage, and one 2-to-3 cate, giving me 8 more drives for a perfect mirror.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Coolermaster had added Nocona mounting holes for the CPU, despite their warnings in their literature.

The machine performs very nicely, and is rock solid under Linux.

Let me know if you have any questions.

jh