CPU Temp Steadily Increasing

Fiery_WA    0

PHENOM II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

AC-ALPINE-64PRO ARTIC COOLING CPU COOLER

COOLER MASTER SNIPER BLACK EDITION PC COMPUTER CASE

Thermaltake 875W Toughpower XT Cable Management PSU

GIGABYTE 9800GT PCI-E GRAPHICS CARD

When I first built this CPU temps under load would be lucky to reach 38C. I know the limit on this CPU is 62C. However over the past week I have watched CPU temp steadily increase. It now idles at 42-44C and under load gets up to 50C.

I have pulled the tower apart, cleaned all of the filters, and used compressed air over the CPU and fan. However at idle it is still reaching temps of 41C. I know this is not particularly high.

But I am curious as to know why all of a sudden the temps have risen.

So time for a better CPU cooler?, maybe reapply some new thermal goop?

I have had the tower now almost four months.

Zenphic    0

You might need to reapplly the themal paste. Then again, 50C under load is very respectable for the cooler on such a hot processor.

Fiery_WA    0

Yes I have been considering a reapply of the thermal goop. Which brings me to my next question, I have heard conflicting arguments about whether silver paste is better or worse. My CPU cooler is a AC-ALPINE-64PRO ARTIC, which according to artic site I should use MX-2, as this is my first CPU cooler replacement, I am concerned that if I put too much of the silver compound on it could stuff everything up :(

So I am inclined to play it safe and go for the MX-2, or should I step it up a notch and go for the MX-3?

pimpachu    0

I've used the MX-series of pastes for years, now. They work great (often better than AS5). The most important thing to know about the MX paste is that it works equally well on fully lapped(shiny) coolers as it does on un polished surfaces and even dimpled or "brushed" blocks. For AS5 to work properly; you need to have a very well polished surface, and it will always eventually dry out. The MX stuff never dries out; been running the original MX-1 pastes for 7 years without needing to replace it, on one of my systems.

All mx series pastes are top notch performers. Use whichever one meets your price point/performance goals. You may only see half a degree drop though, between the two, unless you have super aggressive overclocking- which you shouldn't be doing with an arctic cooler, anyways. The major difference between mx 1 2 and 3 are the particle sizes. Newer = smaller.

Hope that helps, da pimp

P.S. MX does technically 'dry out' but not like as5 does. MX dries out to a correct amount, then stops; as part of the 'curing' process. Like all pastes, you do need to reapply MX between cooler swaps.