Sign in to follow this  
cherokeecruiser2002

Hyper 212 Plus Temps on a new build

I recently put together a new system (specs below) and think my temps are too high at idle and at load considering I am at stock voltages with everything on Auto. I was idling at 34c (37 was the hottest any single core got) and max core temp at 100% load using OCCT was 62. After running for two days I decided to re-check my thermal paste application (used Arctic Silver 5) which I had applied with the single-line method. As you can see below the coverage wasn't very good.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... CPU002.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... CPU003.jpg

Reading some forums I decided to clean it and try filling in the channels with AS5 then smoothing it with a razor blade. Then I applied two thin lines to the bottom of the 212 as seen in the images. I also put a rice-grain sized drop on the CPU and spread it with my finger wrapped in a ziplock. Afterwards I wiped the excess with a coffee filter and put it all back on.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... CPU009.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... CPU007.jpg

Now after I've been running it for another two days my idle temps are down a couple of degrees at idle and full load - everything still at stock

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... eleet1.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... eleet2.jpg

Based on what everyone else has been reporting here it seems like my temps are too high. I am thinking of going back to a Zalman product at this point. Also of note I am currently only running a single fan on the front of the cooler blowing the air towards the back of the case. Room temp is 26c. I have two 120mm case fans - one in front for intake and one in the back for exhaust. Any help greatly appreciated!

eVGA P55 LE (123-LF-E653-KR)

i7 860 Lynnfield

Cooler Master Hyper 212

Cooler Master Elite 335 Case

Corsair HX 620 PSU

eVGA 8800 GTS 640

4 GB Corsair DDR3 1600

100 GB OCZ Vertex LE SSD

640 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA

Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

rajmaraj863    0

Hey there, you may want to take a look at this to get a good idea on how to apply the thermal paste, even though its not the exact model in those pics.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

I tried it and i get a full coverage on my cpu (core i5 750).

However my temps are:

0: 39C

1: 32C

2: 37C

3: 33C

I dont really know if thats normal for a core i5 750 OCed to: 3.2 GHz

I'm new at overclocking, so i dont really know..

Im using a hyper 212+ w/ 2 Red R4 cooler master fans, as well as a storm scout case.

EsaT    0
I have two 120mm case fans - one in front for intake and one in the back for exhaust.
That's not really much of cooling with fans being restricted by those stamped meshes. And did you check how flat CPU's heatspreader and heatsink's base are?

But if that load temperature is with Linpack stressing it's probably in line with what it should be.

Two of the cores probably have sensor's lowest reading stuck at higher level than others but it's load temperatures which are important.

I have two 120mm case fans - one in front for intake and one in the back for exhaust.
That's not really much of cooling with fans being restricted by those stamped meshes. And did you check how flat CPU's heatspreader and heatsink's base are?

The CPU heatspreader looked pretty flat to me. The only thing I noticed is that when the CM212 is mounted it isn't perfectly parallel to the

socket. It's probably off by 3 or 4 degrees but I am using the LGA1156 position for the mounting clamp and the screws all lined up fine so I thought thats just the way its supposed to be. Here is how it looks mounted - the misalignment is barely noticeable:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... CPU001.jpg

Also the bottom of the heatsink base is flat because I checked it with a razor blade before I installed it.

Those load temps were not with Linpack, they were with CPU:OCCT.

As I am typing this (only the browser running) The core temps are 36,33,38,32 with the core clock at 2395 and cpu vcore at .88v

slugbug    0

I have good results applying a pea sized drop in the center of the CPU and letting it spread itself.

I just did my first OC - very conservative at 3.2 GHz. Ran OCCT:CPU for 15 minutes and hottest core got up to 65c. At idle hottest is 42c. I am wondering if adding a second fan to the back (push/pull) will help at all. It seems like the fan I have now is always running higher even at idle CPU usage. Now that I have overclocked it runs around 1900 RPM at idle and its rather loud - but this is the fan that came with the 212.

Also I was reading another thread and realized that while I did tighten the four outer screws on the retainer clip, I neglected to do anything with the center screw which I assume has to be hand-tightened once the cooler is mounted. I don't think this will make much of a difference though as the cooler seems to be well secured (no movement once those four screws were tightened).

rajmaraj863    0
I just did my first OC - very conservative at 3.2 GHz. Ran OCCT:CPU for 15 minutes and hottest core got up to 65c. At idle hottest is 42c. I am wondering if adding a second fan to the back (push/pull) will help at all. It seems like the fan I have now is always running higher even at idle CPU usage. Now that I have overclocked it runs around 1900 RPM at idle and its rather loud - but this is the fan that came with the 212.

Also I was reading another thread and realized that while I did tighten the four outer screws on the retainer clip, I neglected to do anything with the center screw which I assume has to be hand-tightened once the cooler is mounted. I don't think this will make much of a difference though as the cooler seems to be well secured (no movement once those four screws were tightened).

What i did was buy 2 cooler master r4 fans and put them on the cooler. It was really loud, so i bought a fan controller, which lowered the speeds while making it whisper quiet. I dont see much of a difference running it on full speed and lowering the speeds all the way down.

I used the stock fan that came with the cooler, and replaced the fan in the rear of the case with that one, just because the bios kept saying that the cpu cooler wasnt detected (because no pwn fan was plugged in)

I use Asus's AI Suite to control that rear pwm fan by temperature. Like, if the cpu is running at 28C the fan is at 22%, and when its at 48C the fan goes up to 40%, could be useful if you have a compatible board.

Two of the cores probably have sensor's lowest reading stuck at higher level than others but it's load temperatures which are important.

On load (prime95) the temps are:

Core 0: 63C

Core 1: 60C

Core 2: 59C

Core 3: 59C

Is that normal for core 0 to be higher than the rest? And thats only OCed to 3.2 GHz, i got it up to 3.8GHz but it reached to 43C max on idle. Any advice in OCing a Core i5 750?

I realize this thread is somewhat old, I thought I'd share the knowledge I've been gathering the last few weeks for my new build, my plan for my build as far as the CPU/heatsink, and some tips. I haven't built a system from the ground up in years, so a lot of this knowledge is new to me.

First of all, make sure the heatsink is attached firmly to the board. You don't want to tighten it so much that it damages the CPU, but pressure is one of the keys to success. If when you prop the tower upright, the weight of the heatsink creates a gap at the top of the CPU, it's not going to do its job.

Second, remember that Arctic Silver 5 takes time to reach its maximum efficiency. After heating up and cooling down multiple times, the compound will spread thin and eventually either be squeezed into just the minuscule gaps or, if you used too much, off the sides of the CPU. I think ArcticSilver "burn-in" time is 200 hours. 200 hours! That means you won't see it working its best for a long time. I plan on not overclocking my CPU for a few months after it's built.

COOLER MASTER ADMINS - DON'T READ THIS PART! heh.. Now, I know you're not even supposed to mention lapping on this type of heatsink, but that's only because one moron used 400 grit sandpaper and went to town on the thing and ended up putting holes in all the pipes. I plan on using 800 grit for only a few passes, then turning to 1600 for the finish, just to take out any minor manufacturing defects, not to completely reform the base.

Lastly, I read that adding a second fan pales in comparison to my last bit of knowledge - the heatpipes work much more efficiently if they're horizontal. As far as the 212 goes, this means turning it so that the single fan is blowing through the heatsink and toward the top of the case. It's said this is many times more effective than adding a second fan, which I've read only lowers the temp 1C, if you're lucky. It looks like you had it blowing toward the back of the case in that pic - try turning it the other way.

Like I said, I'm no expert, just trying to share some knowledge and hopefully get some in return to help with my build. Cheers!