Sign in to follow this  
leafy78

Praetorian mod for Ultra X-Connect Power Supply

leafy78    0

I bought a praetorian case and an Ultra X-connect power supply with the modular cables. Both are awsome but I have ran into a problem. The back lip on the rail that holds the power supply is in the way of conncting the power supply cable. What do you recommend I cut the back lip off with or is there a better way?

Wacft    0

i think i know the lip you are talking about. aluminum is so soft you could take vice grips and bend it until it snaps off.

i think i know the lip you are talking about. aluminum is so soft you could take vice grips and bend it until it snaps off.

Have you tried that? Take a look at the PSU cage:

praetorian_inside1.jpg

I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to bend, and bend, and bend without damaging the chassis frame before breaking the support bracket off where it should be. Remember that a modder that doesn't know what tools to use for making simple modifications will take you at your word. If you don't know how to do what you suggest someone else do, you may help them destroy their project.

My suggestion would be to take careful measurements first. You don't need to remove any more material than you need to. You might want to remove only the area that impedes the connector(s), or you may want to remove the whole vertical portion of the rear brace for aesthetics.

There are a couple of tools you can use to cut the material. In this particular case, I think the Dremel or similar rotary tool would work the best. A Dremel could be used in the tight confines of the chassis without having to remove any rivets. After you make your cuts, file and sand any rough edges for a finished look.

Another tool that can work is the jigsaw. However, you would need to remove the rivets that secure the top panel and the PSU cage. This is necessary so that you have access to the rear cross member to cut away the area you desire. Again, smooth up your cuts with a file.

It may also be possible to just file away the small section of the aluminum bar that keeps you from plugging in the connector. A coarse file will remove material quicker and you can clean up the area with a finer cut file. Although time consuming, this will be the most economical method for the beginning or novice modder with few tools.

Good luck with your project and please let us know how it goes.

PS:Maybe a moderator will move this to the Modding & Overclocking forum

Wacft    0

i still think if he cant bend till it snaps off he could bend it out of the way without any cutting. also he wouldnt have to remove all his hardware for this little problem.

Wacft    0

ok my bad. :oops: . i thought you were talking about the two little tabs. let no one say i dont admit when im wrong. but i did read some where to conect the atx cable before you put the psu in and it will fit very snug.

Canada_Dry    0

hey guys...I just got a praetorian and an xconnect...and yea...it "doesn't fit" like normal psu's...but there is an easy way around it...without "modding" your case. Put the bracket on the back of the psu etc.. etc... and slide it into the psu cage. Now this is where trouble occours...there isn't enough space for you to plug the cables in...WRONG.

Simply let the psu stick out of the back a little bit while your building it...don't screw it in yet. And just have it resting in the cage to allow for easy plug in and plug out. Then when you are done doing w/e w/ the psu for the day, simply push the psu in all the way. It will feel like it wont go...but It will...and it keeps the modular cables from popping out easy.

...so in a way, the praetorian/wavemaster chassis is the BEST case to have for the xconnect :P

CD