Sign in to follow this  
djx4ever

Haf 932 full system faillure when connecting usb to front

djx4ever    0

Hello everyone,

When I try to connect any usb device to the front panel my full systen switches off... My motherboard (Rampage 2 Xtreme) did fail also a few days later. Now I have my motherboard replaced with a new one (Also a rampage 2 extreme) and everything works fine, but when I try to connect a usb device to the frontpanel the system fails again :(

Any idee's?

Many thanks and hope anyone knows whats going on here:)

Hope to hear from you soon :)

Jeroen (Netherlands)

djx4ever    0

The usb connectors are connected to the proper usb connection on the motherboard. but I also tried it on a p6t deluxe from a friend, there I have the same problem: a full system faillure :(

EsaT    0

Looks like connector's cable might be miswired...

If whole PC and PSU shuts down totally it could be shortcircuiting 5V and in case of otherwise wrong connection system crash would be understandable result.

djx4ever    0

Everything is connected propertly, I'm sure about that. I have the feeling there is a flow jamming into the front panel, because when I even touch (not plug in) the usb ports with an usb plug, the system fails...

dirt_tooth    0

I've been experiencing the same thing. My computer ran fine for six months. Now when the front headers are plugged in the USB ports crash. I'm pretty sure I have a short.

footman    0

Hey Guys,

just wanted to add my 2 cents worth to this discussion. I have an HAF 932 and an Asrock X58 motherboard.

I too was getting shut downs when certain USB devices were connected to the pc via the front panel, I read the motherboard manual and discovered that there is a jumper on the motherboard called the PS2 USB PWR1 Jumper by default it was set at +5V moving it to +5VSB (standby) pushed extra current through the USB circuit and solved the issue. Please refer to your motherboard manual to see if you have a similar option on your motherboard.

The specific devices that caused my PC to shut down when using the front panel were my digital camera and the digital camcorder, the usb sticks were fine. From this I concluded that more amps were needed to power certain USB devices using the front panel.

The issue is resolved now for me. I have not experienced any shut downs for the last 3 months.

Of course there is another thought here that springs to mind, is the resistance of the wires used by Coolermaster high enough to reduce power to the USB connector on the front panel to such a degree that is could cause this shutdown? I would be interested to learn if Coolermaster tested power levels from this front panel connector to see if it still falls under ATX and USB specs when connected to USB header on motherboard....