Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Hyper 212 Plus high temps

Tabs    0

Hi,

I'm not sure what to do here - I built a new system the other day using the Core i7 860 and the MSI P55-GD65 mobo. I have a Hyper 212 Plus cooler on the CPU using Arctic Silver 5. The case is a CM Storm Sniper with the fans on full.

My temps are near 70C under load with prime95 at stock CPU speed. I've taken the heatsink off and reseated it once already and nothing changed. I'm positive it's installed right, it's on there really good.

This isn't at all what I expected, reviews say you can OC to 4GHz with this cooler and barely break 70. Even a very small OC pushes this into the 80s, which I have to stop immediately because of the danger to the chip.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Ryan

Tabs    0

Idle temps are like 28-33C.

Room ambient is 22.3C (72F)

I reseated the heatsink with the paste it came with and got temps about 10 degrees lower or so, but it still breaks 80C really fast on even a moderate OC like 3.2GHz. I can try OCZ Freeze, but I'm starting to get suspicious that something else is wrong here aside from paste.

EsaT    0
heatsink isn't bad otherwise the idle would be higher.
All modern Intels are very good at idling meaning big heat production changes.

But in case of overclocking using Auto settings might make BIOS to overvolt CPU fast so at least that should be set manually.

This isn't at all what I expected, reviews say you can OC to 4GHz with this cooler and barely break 70.
Did those reviewers use dual core or quad?

Millipede    0

I have a very similar issue with a 212+ on an i7 920. At stock, my temps are roughly 30C idle/60C load, about the same numbers I get with Intel's HSF. A modest overclock to 3.2GHz (1.20V) jumps to about 40C/75C, and at 3.5GHz (1.25V), Prime95 quickly overheats the CPU. I just can't be getting good thermal contact--the heatpipes aren't even warm to the touch.

I've tried reapplying thermal paste and reseating three times now, with identical results. I tried the compound that came with the cooler first, and then used OCZ Freeze on the next two shots. I've also tried different application methods: filling the gaps between the pipes and pasting lines on the metal posts, putting a clump on the CPU itself, and also spreading. The fan is definitely pushing air in the right direction, so that's not the problem, and I have the case open.

The only thing I can think to do is lap the contact surfaces, but as I understand it, that procedure only results in an improvement of about 5C. Meanwhile, my temperatures are far higher than those being reported by others. I'm really out of ideas, I'm about to ditch this 212+ for something else. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The rest of my setup: Asus P6T / 2x3Gb DDR3 1600 (OCZ) / Radeon 5770 / Enermax Infiniti 720W / WD Caviar Black (1TB) / SB X-Fi.

I have a very similar issue with a 212+ on an i7 920. At stock, my temps are roughly 30C idle/60C load, about the same numbers I get with Intel's HSF. A modest overclock to 3.2GHz (1.20V) jumps to about 40C/75C, and at 3.5GHz (1.25V), Prime95 quickly overheats the CPU. I just can't be getting good thermal contact--the heatpipes aren't even warm to the touch.

I've tried reapplying thermal paste and reseating three times now, with identical results. I tried the compound that came with the cooler first, and then used OCZ Freeze on the next two shots. I've also tried different application methods: filling the gaps between the pipes and pasting lines on the metal posts, putting a clump on the CPU itself, and also spreading. The fan is definitely pushing air in the right direction, so that's not the problem, and I have the case open.

The only thing I can think to do is lap the contact surfaces, but as I understand it, that procedure only results in an improvement of about 5C. Meanwhile, my temperatures are far higher than those being reported by others. I'm really out of ideas, I'm about to ditch this 212+ for something else. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The rest of my setup: Asus P6T / 2x3Gb DDR3 1600 (OCZ) / Radeon 5770 / Enermax Infiniti 720W / WD Caviar Black (1TB) / SB X-Fi.

For 3.2GHZ, you don't need to increase any voltage. I personally have it at that same rate and I only needed to increase the BCLK frequency. Please double check your overclocks, increasing the voltage on the processor will increase the heat it gives out.

Millipede    0

I tested 3.20Ghz at 1.20V, which is the 920's default Vcore. My CPU runs 1.17V at its stock clockspeed, and the 212+ temps are still on par with the Intel cooler even then.