Sign in to follow this  
batsdecrud

CM 690 versus nVidia GTX 295

Morning, hope your weekend is going great.

Having taken a look at various images of the card, the case & the motherboard & knowing the case first hand I cannot see any problem with getting the card or multiples of it in the case.

My concern is using that card with that board & the clearance you may have when using the top PCIe for the first card.

PCGH_Asus_P6T_Deluxe_X58.jpg

As we can see in this image there is a copper pipe running to the bridge.

I know that my Asus EAH4870X2 which is a bohemoth of a card clears the heat pipes etc on my Asus M4A79 Deluxe & so I feel that from seeing the GTX 295 on other Asus mobos such as the picture below that you are in with a chance:

nvidia-geforce-gtx-295.jpg

Whilst looking at pictures of that card on motherboards, I found this beauty of a setup dedicated to 'Folding at home':

3220427720_9ecbd86309.jpg

Anyways...

When we see the card in question on an Asus motherboard which has the same dimensions as the mobo that you have & then look at the case itself... (pic below):

Cooler_Master_CM_690_Case_Interior_Built_Side.jpg

We can see that there is ample room for the cards length.

The added bonus that the HDDs are inserted into the case from the side rather than having to remove the cards to add or replace HDDs pretty much says it all.

Take a look at all the above pictures, phatom if the card will clear the heat pipe on that board as it is the only issue here that I cannot asure you of & you will see for certain that if the card will clear the pipes you have no worries with the case, card & mobo combo you are going for.

Hope this has helped.

Dr T

batsdecrud    0

Dr. Torchwood I hope you're having a great weekend too. I mean wow that was the most comprehensive and detailed answer ever. The pics are great. It must have been quite an effort to put that together. I really really appreciate it. Thank you so much. Guess the only way I can be sure of the card is to try it out. Thank for a super great answer. Will definitely let you know and will post some pics. You definitely rock.

Dr. Torchwood I hope you're having a great weekend too. I mean wow that was the most comprehensive and detailed answer ever. The pics are great. It must have been quite an effort to put that together. I really really appreciate it. Thank you so much. Guess the only way I can be sure of the card is to try it out. Thank for a super great answer. Will definitely let you know and will post some pics. You definitely rock.

Not a problem batsdecrud, I enjoy building, modding all manner of PCs for myself & constantly build higher end machines for customers, clients & friends.

I won't say that the config you are going for is the only one I have not done but it comes close to being one set up that I had to admit to never having tried or even contemplated...

So to answer your question & to satisfy my own curiosity I just had to take a decent look into it :wink:

Now then, apart from the items you mentioned going into the case, lets see a nice V10 in there huh?

What are you going to power the machine with, what cooling do you have planned?

What would you rate your building PC experience at? (1 being n00b / 10 being "I can build a pc blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back whislt playing a saxaphone")

You don't have to answer if you don't want, I am just being curious as you have picked a nice card for the graphix, a decent mobo & of course a great case for them all to go into.

I do have to say that the CM 690 looks like a great case for it's price, it is also pretty simple yet well thought out, but then it is a CoolerMaster case so we should expect that.

It is one case that I think should be used more for my customers builds even tho' they prefer the stacker range, often the space inside the stackers get wasted...

Also, having found that tripple card picture I am close to tempted to get 3 or 4 of those for a new custom home theater project I have been asked to put together that needs a lot of graphics power in the one small space I have to fit the 'brains' into.

Yes please keep us updated, pictures are always welcome too.

batsdecrud    0
Now then, apart from the items you mentioned going into the case, lets see a nice V10 in there huh

I've already bought a V10 for my new system which I will be building of the following parts

1. ASUS P6T Deluxe

2. Core i7 920

3. CM 690 with 4 120 mm Fans (air cooling) (Though my computer shop says the HAF 922 would be better. I like the CM 690)

4. 6 GB of Corsair XMS3 RAM

5.Western Digital Black 1 TB and Seagate Free Agent Desk 1 TB

6.Logitech MX 5500 combo

7. DELL SP 2209WA monitor.(in transit)

8.DVD writers

9.V10 Cooler

10.1.4 Kva pure sine wave UPS inverter

11. Linksys WRT 610N wireless router

What do you think ?. I've been building my own systems for about 2 years now so I would'nt say I'm a total n00b as such, say on your scale I would peg myself at a 3. As such, I would very much appreciate any suggestions on how to make a better build as I've yet to put the whole thing together. By the way the triple card system must be a monster. What case is that in? Difficult to make out from the pic.

A small question if you don't mind. I have another system with a ASUS P5Q Deluxe mobo, Q9550 processor, 4 gigs RAM, ASUS EAH 4870 512MB graphics. Can I crossfire a Palit Dual cooler 4870 1 GB card in the same system. My OS is Win XP pro.

Can I crossfire a Palit Dual cooler 4870 1 GB card in the same system?

Crossfire allows you to use the same models / makes & as long as the Palit Dual cooler 4870 1 GB card & your ASUS EAH 4870 512MB graphics are both Crossfire ready, then you can do it.

But be aware that the 1GB card will be pulled down to 512mb.

It's a sim' concept to mixing PC Ram... you can run PC2700 & PC2100 ram but the PC2700 will only run t PC2100 speeds.

In my experience of crossfire systems despite the ability to mix brands it is always less problematic to use two / three or four cards that are the same make, same power etc.

AMD / ATI website & forums would better answer & explain your qustion as of course they are (ATi was) the origin of crossfire.

Crossfire have made advancements in leaps & bounds since it first surfaced and their dedicated forums are full of great tips & tricks.

batsdecrud    0

Dr. Torchwood, a small correction. I just read on the net that the GTX 295 does not fully support Direct X 10.1/11 and it works best with a 24" above monitor. Now my monitor is a 22" with a resolution of 1680 x 1050 which would be a waste of card. So wouldn't it be pointless to get the card?

Dr. Torchwood, a small correction. I just read on the net that the GTX 295 does not fully support Direct X 10.1/11 and it works best with a 24" above monitor. Now my monitor is a 22" with a resolution of 1680 x 1050 which would be a waste of card. So wouldn't it be pointless to get the card?

The way I would look at it is this:

The card allows for me to upgrade to a much bigger screen at a later date when screens become cheaper. (my 40 inch 1080p Sony 120Hz LCD was less than $1,000 in Feb 09, same screen was almost 3 times that 16 months earlier)

In the mean time, I know I'd be able to max out any games at the lower res (If I was building the PC for games) without burning up the card or a need to OC it.

It depends what you wish to use the PC for at the end of the day really doesn't it.

Something that strikes me as odd about what you 'Read' elsewhere is that there are 19 & 21 inch monitors available with a much higher res than most 24 inch monitors.

It is IMHO quite an uneducated statement that you read, one that is either trying to put people off of the card or perhaps sell a certain type of monitor to those who own the card.

The truth is the more professional grade the monitor no matter what size it is the better the res & the refresh rate will be.

I love using my 40inch monitor, but I am stuck at a res no higher than 1080i / 1080p & have a choice of either 60hz or 120hz as a refresh rate.

Do I feel I am wasting my EAH4870X2 becaus it is capable of a much higher res' ???

No, of course I don't.

For me at the moment my card/s quite happy chugging along, not being stressed out by pushing it to produce it's optimum res' or refresh...

But then I am using the PC for a general purpose machine right now.

I do some graphics, I remix some music, I edit some HD Video & I play a few games online.

When it comes time to move this PC to my new workspace it will be driving 3 of the 40 inch sony LCDs (or 3 46 inch Sony LCDs) as the main setup with a 4th monitor for purely graphic design work that has a res that would go beyond the capabilities of my PC in general or at least make the most of the horsepower that it produces...

Can you see what I mean by that statement being a bit off? (the one you read elsewhere)

Of course it would be nice to max the cards out 24/7 65 but then I'd be running the risk of overheating, the lifespan of the cards would then be much shorter.

Nobody ever made a rule that you have to use the maximum screen res that a video card is capable of as that sweeping statement suggests.

Dr.T

batsdecrud    0

That what I call clear headed thinking. Your logic is impeccable. Thats why I peg myself at no 3. Its so easy to be misled by what you read on the net. Thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated Sir.

Well i just happen to own that case and that motherboard and i can tell you, you will not have trouble with that card in that system, being the p6t deluxe you will have plenty of space for the sata cables(make sure you connect those first though) But to answer your question about wasting the card on a 22 inch monitor, It would be overkill for that setup, however, if you are planning to get a bigger monitor say 25 and up then you would be using the full card to its full potential. I currently have a 23 inch 1080p monitor and have a GTX 260 in my setup which has everything set to max (except crysis of course) and have had no trouble.

My brother has the same monitor as you and he can pretty much max out everything on a 9800 GT so my recommendation is to get a GTX 260/275/280, should you need more power just get a second of the same card. that way you don't spend much and still have the option of getting equal to a GTX 295.