Sign in to follow this  
stratoc

modular connections

stratoc    0

hi, spec below. have had 850 wat real power never missed a beat, been rock solid. but.. roughly every 2 months something stops working and disconecting the power lead (at the psu end) and reconnecting it solves the problem. the connections are poor. any advise how to make the connect more permenant/ reliable, i thought of maybe copper grease or gluing them in?

thanks.

msi k9n2 diamond

phenom deneb 940 be

2x2 8500 ocz reaper

2 sata II samsung f2 500gb hdd

2 x msi gtx280 oc

antec 1200 (psu in bottom)

coolermaster real power modular 850 watt.

boredgunner    0

The thing with the Real Power M/Pro 850W/1000W/1250W is that you have to give them some time to cool down before you use them again. How long I don't know. As for your connection issue, I can't help you there sorry.

☢

I certainly wouldn't GLUE any parts or introduce anything that may inadvertantly cause more problems.

As mentioned above it takes a whilefor these & most PSUs to cool down.

Once cooled many start up again without a hitch.

So how to keep it cool, well when was the last time you exterminated all the dust bunnies?

A lot of PSU failure is heat related or of course drawing too much juice which in turn can raise the temps.

If your fan has dust or debris hindering it's bearnings then you will start to overheat & shut down.

The disconecting & reconnecting may not be doing anything bar giving the psu time to cool down.

From your sig it looks like it shouldn't be a load problem, how long have you had the psu & when did it start happening?

What is the 'dust level' in your case & psu like? (if any)

stratoc    0

hello, thanks for the replies. there's nothing wrong with the psu (which is never turned off by the way) the only problem is the flimsiness of the connectors from the psu, where the cables plug in. i found similar threads on hardware forums and it looks like it's something i have to live with. if it does it again i'll look look at replacing it.

thanks again.

coolmiester    0

Surely something is wrong here - the male modular leads plug into the female block connectors on the PSU and have a plastic latch system to prevent them coming off.

Pulling the lead alone will not remove it - you basically have to squeeze the plastic latch and then pull the lead.

If you're saying that a lead came free of its own accord then maybe it wasn't pushed all the way on in the first place for the latch to engage.

hello, thanks for the replies. there's nothing wrong with the psu (which is never turned off by the way) the only problem is the flimsiness of the connectors from the psu, where the cables plug in. i found similar threads on hardware forums and it looks like it's something i have to live with. if it does it again i'll look look at replacing it.

thanks again.

I have never seen any problems with any of those units.

A majority of people buy a PSU, build a PC using it & ever touch it again.

People like myself who are constantly changing their hardware might have a need to rmove, move or change a modular PSU cable, that I admit, but I just cannot grasp what you mean by 'flimsy'?

As the poster above me 'coolmiester' suggested, it could be a case of your not having pushed the conections all the way 'home'.

To my knowledge that PSU has had great reviews (why I have purchased several in the past for my customers & clients), I have yet to see a bad review on any website.

You did say 'on other forums'?

Would these forums be another brand of PSU's by any chance?

If at all possible, could you dig out the links to those forums & pop them in a PM to me so I can have a look & see what is being said about the PSU.

Much thanks.

stratoc    0

well that didn't take long! i noticed the top and rear fan had stopped working very slight tap on the power connector into the psu (which was fully home with the retaining clip in place) got them going again. i can't risk this when my hard drives could stop at any time (again) maybe i got a bad one, not sure but won't be risking it.

as for the links to problems. if i can find them with google in about 30 seconds im sure you guys can (nvidia hardware)

as for the links to problems. if i can find them with google in about 30 seconds im sure you guys can (nvidia hardware)

As I was taking the time out of my real life (outside of these forums) to try & answer your questions I'd hoped that you'd have maybe done the same in return.

I thought perhaps that since you had read those posts you could guide me twowards them rather than saying 'Go Google them!'...

Oh well we all use forums in different ways & interact with those attempting to help us diffrently too.

That aside, how long have you had the unit?

You mentioned about "roughly every 2 months something stops working and disconecting the power lead (at the psu end) and reconnecting it solves the problem"...

So I can assume that you have had it for at least 4 or 5 months from the date of your OP right?

Some items no matter the brand, the cost, the quality can develop faults & that is what customer service & the whole RMA thing is about.

As the condition has gotten worse I suggest that you speak with customer support for the country / region that you are in, perhaps RMA-ing the item if possible.

It is hard to work out from talking about it here if the fault is within the PSU, the cables or the connections themselves, again something that a one to one with CM Support would be better dealing with than the forums here.

Please let us know of your progress once you have dealt with CM Support.

All the best.

Dr. T