Sign in to follow this  
papapishu

HAF 922 size + ATCS 840 looks

papapishu    0

A case sizewise like the HAF 922 but with the clean looks of the ATCS 840. I like both of these cases and am considering one of them for a new build sometime in the next few months.

ATCS 840

+

Looks (for me anyway)

All metal (steel or aluminium dont really matter to me. I'm not gonna carry it around)

Easily removable dustfilters (execpt the design flaw with the psu filter and bottom fan)

Fanbracket for 2 fans on HDD-cage

etc

HAF 922

+

Size (lots of room for graphicscards, cable managment etc, but not excessive like the 840 is for most people)

Option for 200mm fan i sidepanel

8 expansion slots

etc

So, take the best of both and create a dreamcase:-)

Thoughts?

Icejon    0

Good feedback, but the ATCS 840 is already larger than the HAF 932? I dont understand.

papapishu    0

Hi:-)

Basically I meant a smaller version of the huge ATCS 840 (with a 200mm sidepanel fan and 8 expansion slots).

For me, the size of the new HAF 922 (W 253 x H 502 x D 563 mm) is just about ideal, unless you are about to go crazy with HEAVY watercooling (which most people including myself aren't).

As I wrote in my first post, I like them both since they share a lot of the inside layout concept. Haven't made my mind up yet;-)

boredgunner    0

An ATCS 840 mid tower version would be nice. As you said the 230mm fans can be swapped for the [storm Force] 200mm fans but with no LEDs. The top PSU mount can be removed, and I'd like to see 9 expansion slots. 8 normal horizontal slots, and a ninth one like on the Storm Sniper/HAF 922. These should use thumbscrews as well. There should be five 5.25" slots and five 3.5" slots. There should be mounting holes on the 5.25" bay in my opinion, so you can use fan brackets and a 120mm fan in the 5.25" bay (see my ATCS 840 below). This would be helpful to those who buys something like the Scythe Kama Bay (I use one myself).

img2280m.jpg

By boredgunner, shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-06-05

The PSU dust filter should be like on the Cosmos 1000, which is, under the case and slides out from the rear. On the ATCS 840, you can't take the filter out if you have a bottom fan mounted. For the rear 120mm exhaust fan, I think CM should do away with the mesh cut outs and use a fan grill like on Silverstone cases, so you can use external radiators easier. There should also be another cut out on the motherboard tray, right below the current one on the ATCS 840. This can be for GPU cables. I might make my own on my ATCS 840.

So this would be kind of like the transition from the HAF 932 to the 922. A smaller/slightly worse version, but with a few enhancements. The size can be like the Storm Sniper/HAF 922 as well. Those are much larger than the Antec 1200 full tower case, except for height. This would make the best mid tower case in my opinion. I say the Storm Sniper is the best current mid tower case, HAF 922 second, and I'd have to say the Silverstone FT01 is third.

-EDIT to CM: I think you should stop including two 230mm top exhaust fans on the ATCS 840. The one closer to the front of the case draws air out of the case prematurely. This will save you guys cash too!

☢ ☢ ☢

Rapt0r    0

Very nice idea,I hope CM will look into this and also support at least a 2x120mm radiator for the top of the casing and stop using those big fans(eg.230mm) for exhaust or intake,a 120mm fan is more ideal as it is available to buy anywhere,but the big fans aren't available widely.Not to forget filters...please add filters to the meshed bezels,bottom psu intake or any openings.Dust is a PITA.A black interior will be nice too with the current cable management holes on the haf922.

Xaero    0

I've been thinking about this as well. I have went through all the big chassi-manufacturers (Cooler Master, Lian Li, Antec, Silverstone, Thermaltake etc) to find a chassi for a new computer. My choice for the moment is the ATCS840, but not even that is perfect. Its massive size is unnecessary for my needs and most other people. And as mentioned it has a stupid design error with the bottom fan/psu filter.

If you cut it down about 3 inches in depth and 2 inches in height you'll get a superb atx mid-tower case that looks really sharp. Yes, the Sniper and the HAF922 are that size, but I don't like the exterior looks of those cases. I definately prefer the discreet appearance of the 840. And the Sniper/922 also lack easily removable dustfilters (although I think the Sniper has filters on all intakes except on the psu).

So, shrink the 840 a few inches, add 1 or 2 expansion-slots (keep the thumbscrews), an option for a 200mm fan on the sidepanel, keep 1 fan-mount on the hdd-cage (since I don't think 2 will fit when going from 6 to 5 hdd-slots) and mount the psu-filter OUTSIDE the case (I don't own a 840 yet so I don't know, but when pulling out the psu dustfilter isn't there a risk that some of the dust build-up will scrape off? And guess where that stuff will end up if the psu is running).

Cooler Master ATCS820 FTW =)

TheOnion    0

I couldn't agree more. We need a mid tower ATCS 840. It is an amazing case, but too big. I think I have a way to help make this happen. Follow Cooler Master on Twitter and request the mid tower ATCS 840.

Authentic Coolermaster twitter account. (They actually reply to tweets)

http://twitter.com/CoolerMasterUSA

TheOnion    0

Please give us this or at least a mid tower with a removable motherboard tray. The old school Wave Master had one and that came out like 5 years ago.