Sign in to follow this  
Silen5er

6 pin pcie to 8 pin pcie adapter

Silen5er    0

I've been using Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850 for more than 2 years, and have no intention to replace it. However, just recently, I had bought the galaxy 275 that require the 8 pin pcie power input. Is it safe to use the 6 pin to 8 pin pcie adapter to power the GC, based on 1 6pin pcie to 1 8 pin pcie adapter, rather than 2 6pin pcie to 1 8 pin pcie adapter. Please advise. Thanks

boredgunner    0

No, use the dual 6-pin to 8-pin PCI-E adapter, since the 8-pin provides twice the amount of power compared to a 6-pin. A 6-pin PCI-E cable provides 75W while an 8-pin provides 150W, so you will need the dual 6-pin to 8-pin.

Silen5er    0
No, use the dual 6-pin to 8-pin PCI-E adapter, since the 8-pin provides twice the amount of power compared to a 6-pin. A 6-pin PCI-E cable provides 75W while an 8-pin provides 150W, so you will need the dual 6-pin to 8-pin.

Thanks for the quick reply, but I do read somewhere that the aditional 2 pin is only for ground connection, and in nvidia forum, it advised to use the single 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, as the dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter will fry the GC. Now, I am really confused.....

Silen5er    0
i dint see where a dual 6pin to a single 8 pin would be a problem. as a 8pin feeds 150 watts vs 6 pin 75watts of power.

Tell it to nvidia>>> http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvid ... _topview=1 >>> "There are 2 types of 6-pin to 8-pin power adapters.

One type converts from two 6-pin plugs to a single 8-pin plug. These adapters could damage your computer and should not be used under any circumstances.

The second type converts a single 6-pin plug to a single 8-pin plug. NVIDIA also advises against its use since many power supplies will not provide sufficient current over the 6-pin power cable. However, this type of adaptor could potentially support normal operation as long as the customer checks their PSU manuals and ensures that its 6-pin PCI-E rails can handle the same current rating as an 8-pin power cable, which is 150 watts.The recommended solution is to use a power supply with native 8-pin power cables."<<<< maake me wonder what is the logic behind such statement????