Sign in to follow this  
Serus

cooler Master V8 - Fan is rattling and whining

Serus    0

So I've got a V8 and I have had it since December. The fan has started to rattle. I checked for loose screws and everything is tight. At times it also starts to emit a high whine and rattle some more. It doesn't matter if the fan is on a high or low setting. If I change the speed of the fan, it will stop rattling for a minute or two and then start up again.

I looked at attempting to replace the fan and I really have no idea what I can and can't do so thought I should just post here instead. Is this still under warranty or can the fan be easily replaced? I couldn't find instructions anywhere on actually replacing the fan.

Thanks!

syeather    0

I'm having the same issues. I personally wouldn't mind just replacing the fan myself (for one with more airflow/quieter) If i knew that it could easily be done. I really don't want to have to remove the heatsink from the board. Any help?

Steve

Kevin Voong    0

I might know where the rattling is coming from. I had the same problem as well and after checking I found that the screws on the bottom portion of the fan were loose. I tighten the screws and the noise is gone. If you still have the noise, please let me know.

I am having a similar problem, mine is spinning at a very slow speed. Also very inconsistent, is this a power problem? How do i change the fan without taking apart my entire computer? Any help and recommendations on new fans, i want more airflow since im replacing it

If everything is tightened then one thing remains: the Fan itself. If that is the case we offer replacement for the fan, you will need to remove the cooler from the motherboard. Once removed, remove the top screws using an alen wrench (comes with cooler) and 2 phillips screws at the bottom of the cooler, once that is off, the top comes off along with the fan. The fan is then clamped to the top, you simply release the clamps and the fan comes off.

You can file a warranty request for that here:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/erma

File it under Part Request, they are free of charge (if under warranty), and ship out within 2 to 5 business days pending stock.

Kevin Voong    0

Any fan with the measurement of 120 x 120 x 25mm. The only other specifications that you would need to look into to ensure efficient cooling is the CFM rating.

McKie    0

I have Had my cooler for about a year now and I too have noticed a high pitch whine coming from the fan. I have cleaned the dust out in hopes that it was just a accumulation of dust. I have not yet tried tightening the screws that hold it to the bracket yet but will.

In the mean time. I am searching for a good fan replacement. and while searching for alternative fan options. I also came across several people, and even a review that indicated that the fan was glued to the plastic top Piece and that it is very difficult to remove without possibly breaking it .

The review made it sound as though this gluing of the fan to the plastic top piece was Intentional. But another person that had attempted a fan replacement. Indicated that although his was also Glued on . He felt that it was not Intentional. and It appeared that during the Manufacture process there are two foam pads that were applied with two strips of glue and thinks that the glue was still wet when the top was clipped into place at the factory which resulted in it being glued to the fan.

My question is. If in fact mine is glued, and during the process of removing it I break the plastic top pieces. Does Coolermaster sell Individual replacement parts for this Cooler.

I would hate to attempt this and end up with a cooler that is broke. I would feel more comfortable doing this If I new I had replacement parts available