Sign in to follow this  
Raghav8728

crossfirex

boredgunner    0

A 1250W PSU from a brand like COOLER MASTER is overkill for just about anything. Right now there is a great deal on the COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro 1000W at newegg, $199.99 and free shipping. That is powerful enough for a 4870 x2 Quad-CrossFireX setup and heavy overclocks on the CPU/GPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817171022

The pictures show the older revision which had six +12v rails with 18A on each. The newer one (which has been out for a long time now) has six +12v rails, with 18A on rails 1/2/5/6, while 3/4 can output 28A. This shows the max output each +12v rail can do. Either way on both revisions the +12v rails are capable of 960W continuous power, which is 80A. Very good value, ideal for a good 1000W PSU and more than enough for pretty much any system. The COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro 1250W has six +12v rails too, but each can output different values (20A/20A/28A/28A/28A/20A). Continuously they output 1125W of power, giving you 93.75A of continuous +12v power. Anybody say overkill? Overkill is good!

If you order that you will probably get the newer revision since it is the standard.

jbjtkbw00    0

No matter what you decide though, too much is better than not enough.

I've got dual 4870 x2's in quad crossfire and they're liquid cooled. There's liquid cooling for the proc as well, 5 HDD's, 2 optical drives and all of this is running off an 1100 W PSU (sorry, CM, you were sold out of your higher units where I was shopping at the time of my purchase, so it's a Tagan). I still have power to spare. Overkill, yeah, but I like the safer than sorry route.

boredgunner    0
No matter what you decide though, too much is better than not enough.

I've got dual 4870 x2's in quad crossfire and they're liquid cooled. There's liquid cooling for the proc as well, 5 HDD's, 2 optical drives and all of this is running off an 1100 W PSU (sorry, CM, you were sold out of your higher units where I was shopping at the time of my purchase, so it's a Tagan). I still have power to spare. Overkill, yeah, but I like the safer than sorry route.

^^And COOLER MASTER is better than Tagan. So the Real Power Pro 1000W is great!

jbjtkbw00    0

If Cooler Master had a PSU over 1000W that was modular, I'd be all over it. I will admit, the Tagan does it's job very well though.

I would have preferred CM.

jbjtkbw00    0

I get your point. At the time of purchase, however, I did happen to read some very good reviews on it. Sucks we don't normally open up PSU's to get a look inside.

All in all, it was my 2nd PSU choice at the time as I was looking high and low for the ESA version of the Cooler Master 1000W PSU at the time, but never was able to find one. This is what I ended up with (plus, I never went the ESA route anyways due to no AMD supported mobo's).

Should I get 2 years out of this based upon the review by HardOcp, then I'll be happy. Until then, I'm always looking for another modular PSU as a replacement and then this one would just be a backup.