Sign in to follow this  
C0r3i7

CM V8 Temperature with Core i7 920

Sim    0

What cooler did you go with?

The cm V8 does good on LGA 775 but 1366 it hasn't impressed me at all, hitting 70's with a mild 3.4ghz overclock makes me want to switch to another cooler too.

I wonder how good this cooler would do if you removed the nickle plating on the bottom of the heatsink.

HazMatt    0

I'd have to agree, I've gotten better results with 775 CPU's than with i7 ones with the systems I've built with the V8. Not sure why, but that was mostly the case.

lawrencelyl    0

I'm running Core i7 965 with V8 as well. At stock speed, idle around 35C and full load around 72C.

Overclock to around 3.85GHz, full load temperature shoot above 80C.

One thing I noticed is that the V8's base where there are two pieces of metal sandwiching the heatpipe has a slight gap in between. Probably this is one of the reason my CPU's temperature quite high. :(

boredgunner    0

The problem is the case. The Silverstone TJ07 has horrible air flow. The only things that get good cooling are the PSU and hard drives. Then there are dual 92mm rear fans and dual 120mm top fans. The cooling is so bad Silverstone makes the rear 92mm fans intakes, and the top 120mm fans suck up that air right away so nothing really gets cooled.