Sign in to follow this  
C0r3i7

CM V8 Temperature with Core i7 920

C0r3i7    0

i recently built new core i7 PC with the CM V8 cooler. At stock speed @ (2.66g Batch#3836B232), the idle temperatures base on Real Temp 3.00 was at 38, 32, 35, and 31. The compound i use is Arctic Silver with the (line) method i got from arctic silver website. i had my PC running at stock speed for a little over 2 weeks, everything seems to be running smooth. i decided to OC my Ci7 920 2.66 to (3.6g); my idle temperature now sits at 43, 38, 40, and 35. The temperature seems to be fine; i think. :? i ran Prime-95 (FFT) for 2 hours; the highest temperature at full load is at about 77, 75, 73, and 69. i would really like to know if the temp i have running now is safe. or anyone have the same setup, what are your temps at stock/idle, OC'd/idle, and OC'd/full load 100% running Prime 95. Other that, the CM V8 is one SEXY beast. :mrgreen:

also. i had reseated cooler/remove/re-apply thermal compound twice already. The temperature didn't change a bit. Any suggestions to make my core i7 cooler. i've also done some googled/search in comparison between with this CM v8 and Thermalright 120 Black Edition. it seems Thermalright 120 has better cooling, but lapping is involded. (uggh, sounds like alot of work).

Silverstone TJ-07

Asus Rampage II X58

Core i7 920 2.66 (3.6G)

Corsair Dominator 6gig (DDR3 1600)

WD VelociRaptor 300

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SSC Edition 896MB 675 (EVGA Precision OC'd to 730)

Vista Ultimate 64bit

Supreme X-Fi

PC Cooling 750

Cooler Master V8

Dell 2408 WFP

RaptorFury    0

little high for the V8, with some chilla ramic i was getting 65-67 C on the v8. i would check airflow of the chassis increase the fan speed or (both, i recommend both) and make sure the thermal paste is spread out evenly across the IHS. I never listen to manus specifications when it comes to placing thermal paste i use a 5 small drop set up in a 5 dice pattern.

EsaT    0
i decided to OC my Ci7 920 2.66 to (3.6g); my idle temperature now sits at 43, 38, 40, and 35.
And also overvolted some?

Power consumption rises to square of voltage. (+higher temperature increases leak currents)

Also you probably disabled power saving modes for idling.

If you want to see actually high temperatures try Intel Burn Test... after that you won't be worried about prime temperatures.

I never listen to manus specifications when it comes to placing thermal paste i use a 5 small drop set up in a 5 dice pattern.
Danger of that is expanding drops trapping some air between CPU and heatsink. (in one centre drop situation air is guaranteedly forced out)

C0r3i7    0

Well....I'm poooped! re-seated the V8 for the 3rd or 4th time. Nothings change in temperature. i guess that's just the way it is. :x

RaptorFury    0
I never listen to manus specifications when it comes to placing thermal paste i use a 5 small drop set up in a 5 dice pattern.
Danger of that is expanding drops trapping some air between CPU and heatsink. (in one centre drop situation air is guaranteedly forced out)

please tell me i got airbubbles in this.... http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1493&pageID=6421

Sim    0

My core i7 920 stock temps are a bit high too using the V8.

39-41 idle temps

59-62 load temps prime 95 after 30mins

room temp 74F

I replaced the fan on the V8 with this fan "Scythe KAZE-JYUNI "SLIP STREAM" 1,900 rpm 37.00 dBA 110.31CFM, i have the 88CFM version too, can't notice a difference in temps between the two of them.

My Ultra aluminus full tower case has two 120mm fans, 88CFM front 110CFM rear, i opened up the side of the case the temps didn't change one bit, also tried a house fan blowing inside the case and still no change in cpu temps.

When i first applied some ocz freeze my idle temps was 34-35 but i did have the AC below 69F.

Icejon    0
My core i7 920 stock temps are a bit high too using the V8.

39-41 idle temps

59-62 load temps prime 95 after 30mins

room temp 74F

I replaced the fan on the V8 with this fan "Scythe KAZE-JYUNI "SLIP STREAM" 1,900 rpm 37.00 dBA 110.31CFM, i have the 88CFM version too, can't notice a difference in temps between the two of them.

My Ultra aluminus full tower case has two 120mm fans, 88CFM front 110CFM rear, i opened up the side of the case the temps didn't change one bit, also tried a house fan blowing inside the case and still no change in cpu temps.

When i first applied some ocz freeze my idle temps was 34-35 but i did have the AC below 69F.

Depending on the quality of the 920 CPU itself your temperatures could vary as much as 4-10C. This is due to the differences in cases and also the internal components of the CPU. It is a hot CPU for sure.

C0r3i7    0

I decided to try another brand. it sucks because i really like the CM V8. i purchased a side panel for my case just so i can see the bad boy, and all the other goodies. Unfortunately, keep my CPU cool as possible is more important; with this new cooler, i'm able to OC my 920 to 3.2G, temperature at idle at 39/35/37/32 and run Prime95 FFT for hour or so and the temperature never made it pass 67C.