Sign in to follow this  
khelvan

V8 with Zalman MFC2?

khelvan    0

Hi, I recently purchased a Zalman MFC2 fan controller and am now attempting to connect my fans to it. Unfortunately I am having a problem with the V8 4-pin PWM connector and the MFC2's male connector. It seems the V8's connector has plastic bits that extend down only wide enough for a 3-pin connector (to fit along the sides of the bottom plastic piece on the male connector), but the MFC2's male connector has a 4-pin wide bottom plastic piece. So when I try to plug the connector in, it won't fit properly.

Do you have any suggestions?

Also, is there a switch or toggle to tell the cooler which fan controller to use (PWM or VR controller)?

Thanks!

BrettWms    0

Heya and welcome to the forums!

In regards to the 4-pin plug, are you referring to the extension cable or the back of the MFC2 itself?

The 4-Pin plug that I see on the v8, is like all 4-pins that I've seen. It's like a modified 3-pin connector.

EsaT    0

Just checked and you're right that connector on MFC2's cable is definitely different from that of motherboard...

You could use small sharp knife for modifying that locking tab in connector of MFC2's cable or protruding part in fan's connector.

khelvan    0

Thanks, I just chopped off the offending piece of plastic, and it fits just fine now. ;)

By the way, where would I place the MFC2's temperature sensor(s) to get the most accurate reading(s)? I have no idea where to attach them to the cooler/mobo/etc. I assume I don't try to put it directly on the CPU :twisted:

Thanks!

BrettWms    0

For the CPU one, figure out exactly where the cpu/HS make contact... Then attach it about 1 CM away from that on the bottom HS, kind of near the screws maybe. It's really hard to say ( i cant remember what they look like, and I don't want to pull mine off again. lol )

For the GPU, that's a little tough.. It depends on the card you use.. Sometimes you can remove the cover and attach it right on the heatsink.

The hard drive is fairly straight forward. Attach it on the bottom side, where the spindle is.. That seems to be the hottest part I've seen.

For the 4th, I'd say just use like chassis area. Maybe somewhere just hanging there, not attached to any kind of metal.