Sign in to follow this  
dr0op

Prescott cooling ?

NeOn    0

Well kill me now, but i have a prescott 478 3.2GHz, and i have it running idle at 29oC with a Thermaltake (i told you to kill me) Pipe101 Heatsink, Thermaltake 92mm Fan, and a crapload of arctic silver. It gets to about 45oC on a load - but i gota turn this baby up to 3500rpm, and rated at 47DBa, its a noisy bugger...

I would have got the thermalright hsf, but i dont have room for a 120mm fan in my case... my cpu is right on the edge of the board next to the PSU.

Karma Ghost    0
Well kill me now, but i have a prescott 478 3.2GHz, and i have it running idle at 29oC with a Thermaltake (i told you to kill me) Pipe101 Heatsink, Thermaltake 92mm Fan, and a crapload of arctic silver. It gets to about 45oC on a load - but i gota turn this baby up to 3500rpm, and rated at 47DBa, its a noisy bugger...

I would have got the thermalright hsf, but i dont have room for a 120mm fan in my case... my cpu is right on the edge of the board next to the PSU.

I remember my Tt HSF... I had a Volcano 7+ which was like listening to an airplane take off inside my computer. And my temperatures weren't all that great because my case had bad airflow at the time!

So before you buy a new heatsink, be sure you have a case with nice cooling. Because if you have a case with like... 1 80mm fan... the best heatsink in the world wouldn't help you. But yeah, I would suggest getting one of the "hyper" sinks from CM. The Thermalright sink looks like it can get some great cooling, but it also looks like you'd bend capacitors trying to get it in there.. :lol: That and you still get that dead zone of air that no one wants on a CPU cooler; I personally believe you would be satisfied with a hyper cooler. (But yeah... I'm not biased at all.... :lol: )

120mm fans are better. Better CFM to dB ratios and slower RPMs. But 92mm and 80mm CPU fans are efficient enough to keep a computer quiet and still cool.

Ive just a 3.2 lga775, used a asus star ice cooler, and have got the cpu down to 37 degrees, its 41 degrees now, and i'm running a couple of programs, and the fan is at half speed, amazing thing.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

does your asus whistle? and neon your not meant to sue alot of AS5 only a small splodge and spread it out using the base of the heatsink, on my hyper 6 iget my overclocked prescott down to 38 degrees idle and no more than 55 on full load

Not really, i've found that changing the speed of the fan doesn't make a lot of difference. I've got the cpu down to 35 degrees now. It doesn't wistle. At half speeds it quite and the performance is only about 1-2 degrees behind full speed.