Sign in to follow this  
Phantom93

Regarding ThermalFusion 400 Compound

Well...

I have been using the sample that came with the V10 & to be honest I cannot wait to remove the stuff.. :-(

After several days of cycling the V10 there has been no change, this makes me think that the sample I had was 'faulty' in as much as whenI applied it the first thing that came to mind was "Should it really be this thick & putty like?"

I am willing to buy a tube retail (unless CM wants tosend me a tube due to the condition of the sample in with the V10) and give it another chance.

Now, who should I contact about getting a fresh sample to make up for the undesirable sample that I recieved?

Meanwhile, I shall use my 'Artic' Cleaning Fluid & Surface prep fluid to make sure that both the die & the V10 are ready for a nice clean & smooth appliation rather than the lumpy / chunky slather that came from the sample packet.

this has no cure time so you really shouldn't see any change anyways. My temps did drop 4-7C over all on a ThermalRight eXtreme Black edition .I cant say with the V10 as i haven't used anything else with it other then the 400 .Knowing its a hassle to reapply any compound i suggest reapplying it .What method did you use to spread the compound and how much did you use? And what parts are you using (sorry i cant see your system specs if you posted them while in reply mode my bad )

First up, system specs:

Asus M4A79 Deluxe

AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition

CoolerMaster V10

8GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum

Kingwin Mach 1 Modular 1200wt

Asus EAH4870X2 2GB DDR5

WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k

Win 7 Beta 64 bit

Razer Barracuda AC-1

LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray

Lots of other goodies but hey the above is enough..

Adding a 2nd matching GFX card within 8 weeks.

Modding the case too.

====================

The compound came in a little celophane tube like wrap.

There were no instruction on use with the compound which suprised me TBH. lots of advertising inside for the HAF & te PSUs... pic of a tube of TF400 on the front & the back had the usual this stuff is good gargon...

But no instructions.

I knew that I wasn't going to get away with the 'grain of rice' dollop in the center of the die, starte tightening the cooler, give a bit of a twist to the left & right, finish tightening down & done as you would with say AS or otherbrands...

I felt that if I tried that method with the 'putty' I had in the packet I'd end up with a crater in both surfaces... I kid you not, I was somewhat concerned.

I did ask here in the forums, I did hunt all over the interweb that we love...

From the 'Dutch (ND) Site' that was linked to & reading it in dutch as the english translation talked about cold pasta (yup really, cold pasta, which I think sums up the consistancy in the packet), anyways, I translated the dutch using my afrikaans skills of the 70's & saw that you need to 'spread' a layer as if to resemble an AMD 'PAD' tht is pre-applied to their stock coolers. (which I might addhas also changed recently)

So, I eeked out a line accross the die, took a new clean (oil free) 'blade' that was a tad wider than the die & dragged the compound from the center to the edge, did the same in the opposite direction, it wa still a little too 'lumpy' for my liking & so Iwarmed the blade a little with my S-Iron tip, not too hot mind you, & dragged across the 'grain' to even things out a bit.

The warming of the blade did indeed help me out.

I'd like to add at this point I keep my home at 76 Degrees, so this wasn't a case of the compound being 'stiff' due to room temps & it had been laying on my desk acclimatizing for at least 48 hours in its packaging.

End result was something that I can only say resembled a cross between the amount of compound on an old socket 939 stock cooler pre-applied pad & that of the new Phenom II X 4 stock cooler pre-applied pad.

I'd hazzerd a guess & say that I matched the only two photographs I had seen of the finished application, perhps not as smooth but I put that down to the consistancy / viscosity of the sample I had been given with the V10.

I cannot for the life of me phathom why CM when planning the entire V10 packaging didn't just say "This is the most expensive cooling unit on the face of the planet outside of a complete water cooled system... why don't we pop a retail blister pack of TF400 in the box" Knowing full well that it is people with money & a certain mentality to PC parts that would buy this product, it would have been a much much better way to 'put over' the TF 400 rather than the disapointing 'glob' of putty in further advertising for other products that I recieved.

Am I making any sense here at all?

At least they could have popped an introduction to the product, even a link to it...

Oh well, sory that this appears to be a rant.

It is just the only time I can think of that I have had anything less than positive to say about CoolerMaster & that kinda' weighs heavy on me for some reason.

Maxession    1
^The color of TF400 is similar to this, just a bit darker (was mixed with a little AC-MX-2...)

Wow, I don't even put half of that on my CPU!

i would think right now you have compound all around that cpu socket now and suggest you take it off asap before damage can occur .I do hope im wrong

BrettWms    0

salanos, that's WAY too much. The easiest way I've found to apply any thermal compound (since no one YET supplies a scraping tool) is this:

Put a line of the compound on one edge of the cpu. Use a credit card (I happen to use my A+ certification card, lol) and, while pressing firmly, drag it over the entire CPU. Using the remainder of the goop on the card, apply it as needed to any parts of the CPU that didn't get any. It should be a fairly thin layer.

Do the exact same thing on the Heatsink.

Marry the two together, and before it's fully mounted, give it a 20-45 degree turn, just so the two combine.

There are problems caused when people either use too much, or use too little. Thermal compound is used to fill the gaps between the CPU and HS, NOT to be a complete layer between the two. No thermal compound will compare to a direct contact between the two metals, but since no metal is 100% smooth, we use the compound in fill in those areas.

Now.. As for the thickness of it. I found it to be fine if you first squish it around with your fingers while it's still inside the little packet. This doesn't work with the tube, if you've got that however.

I use a V8, and I tried using the Tuniq MX-2 before... Then a week later went to the CM 400 stuff, fully intending to go back. Although I didn't get a drop of temps like 6 or 7 degrees, I did get a drop of about 3-4. So, it was worth it in my opinion.

Maxession    1
salanos, that's WAY too much. The easiest way I've found to apply any thermal compound (since no one YET supplies a scraping tool) is this:

Well, I actually I still use my old plastic CM card that came with the CM Premium compound, now there's a razor blade included with the TF 400 and IceFusion.

Also, I apply it about the same way as you, but I only put the compound on the CPU, not the cooler, always worked for me nicely.

^The color of TF400 is similar to this, just a bit darker (was mixed with a little AC-MX-2...)

Wow, I don't even put half of that on my CPU!

OMG!!!!!! WT Frack!!!!

If that was AS 5 or any AS product, that would be enough for 60 CPUs.

Before TF400 I was used to a grain of rice sized drip being almost too much.

Even with TF400 from what I have read that in the picture is about 3 or 4 times as much as needed & the biggest "FAIL" is mixing compounds eeek.

Never ever ever mix compounds, you can't see it with the bare eye but dif' compounds will 'split' / 'curdle' like putting vinegar in milk.

Each compound has a dif 'solid' that is suspended in it's own 'carrier grease / liquid'... mixing them can cause the solids to 'clump' & the liquids to fight eachother.

I'd be ripping whatever cooler was slapped on that die, using an old 'solder suction tool' to suck up all the overflowing compound from my mobo, socket, cpu etc...

[ salanos Please tell me that you are not still running that cpu as it is?