Sign in to follow this  
Phantom93

Regarding ThermalFusion 400 Compound

Phantom93    0

This stuff is absolutly amazing! Well to me it is, for the past year I have been using the cheaper stuff (Tuniq or stock thermal paste) I decided to try this as I got it free and I absolutly love it! I slammed this on, tightened my HSF and I dropped around 10c! :cheers: Has anyoen else used this and had same results?

salanos    0

I got a pack of this with my CM V8; I'm wondering whether to try it or use the Arctic Cooling MX-2 I bought.

Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition in a Storm Sniper Dragon Edition.

simply YES..........Much better ive tried it with a Thermalright Black eXtreme 120 a V-10 and in both it lowered idle/load temps

The very reason I came to these forums, to find out more about the TF400...

I just recieved a 'dollop' of it with the V10 that UPS just dropped off.

There is very little written or reviewed about this product out in the big old interweb.

I just threw together a new build & decided to give the V10 a try as I love the idea of a hybrid TEC & the only other on the market I wouldn't touch their products with a barge pole after some serious problems with a case (yes a case) of their PSUs.

So, back to the TF400.

It appears a bit 'thicker' than what I would usualy apply which causes me a little concern to start with, the sample pack that came with the V10 has little to no real info on the product itelf or the application of it.

Has anybody here used this compound with a Phenom II X4 940?

If so, results?

Any other users of TF400, is it quick to cycle this stuff?

As in, how many cycles before it settles down to give a proper constant reading, how long for it to 'cure' I suppose would be a better term to use.

As it appears 'thicker' in the little wrapper it came in, application of TF400 daunts me a little, my usual format is a nice grain & a half of rice sized compound, a slight twist of the base plate on the cpu & screw her down well & proper.

Would you suggest the same method of application or does the retail package supply further / better application of the product?

Last but not least, as the last poster before me asked, do we have any idea of it's lifespan?

I tend to clean out my customers / clients systems on a regular basis & once every 5 to 7 months whilst doing a clean out / overhaul I like to remove the heatsink/fan combo, clean off the old compound & replace with a fresh application of my usual...

One or two of my clients are not within the USA & so I do my best to visit them at least once a year for a total strip down if they cannot frieght the equipment back to me.

Call me fastidious but these people depend on the systems I build & maintain for them, I cannot afford to have a $12k to $18k system go down on them due to a thermal compound failure (as I have witnessed in a 'brand named' PC), so knowing the effective lifespan of this compound would help me no end should I start to use it in my clients new builds & any upgrades / strip downs that I perform.

I'm willing to 'risk' it in the meantime on my personal PC as it is right under my nose at all times & is easily replaced should anything occur.

I am however suprised at the lack of data available on the internet about the product.

Icejon    0

The Thermal Fusion 400 has been used to fix Xbox 360 red ring of death. That is the early version of the problem before the CPU separates completely. AC5 seems to have better specs than TF400 in thermal conductivity. The real secret to its performance lies in the extremely tiny particle sizes we use which is smaller than competitors and shaped differently. We specifically engineer this particle thinness to mate with the nickle plated copper of V8-V10 series coolers. It will offer consistent performance when applied evenly using the spade tool.

Thank you both Icejon & Maxession for a prompt reply.

Reading the Dutch review translated was a h00t... I found it in dutch & let my schoolboy Arikaans translate, at least there was no cold pasta this time :-)

I get the idea of the smaller particles etc, it all sounds great / fine (no pun intended) and obviously agree that the finer the particles the more dips & swirls canbe filled / populated at a denser level.

However, I still cannot find anything as to the suggested longevity of the compound / paste.

This is something that a vast majority of people who apply their own thermal pastes / greases /compounds would expect to find readily avalable on the packet & written up on a site or several.

I take it that by using a 'spatular' to 'smear' the compound the goal is to apply a larger quantity than one would use with another brand or brands.

Usualy the old addage of 'Less is more' applies to thermal soloutions (by which I mean grease / pastes etc) whilst having too much of a good thing is also quite bad.

We want a nice 'contact' between the two surfaces for heat transfer, too much of anything in between can cause an adverse effect, rendering the coolers efficiency to a lower level.

Am I not correct with the above statements?

So I become puzzeled by the idea of slathering the die, spreading on a thicker coating by way of a spatular as it goes against the norm when dealing with pastes / greases etc.

Again, this is where I wish I could lay my hands on the 'white paper' for this product or a real in depth review that covers not only the color of the 'paste' the pretty packaging and abrief bargraph shoing the use of TF400 Vs AS 5.

If it has to be spatulared on, there has to be more of the product on the surface being prepped...Therefore it must have some property that other compounds do not have as they again rely on the 'less is more' pinciple.

Boy am I going to have fun trying this 'goop' out.

@ Icejon.

Are you aware of any white papers on the product?

If so, are they in the public domaine?

Obtainable?

Linkable?

Much thanks to you both again.

=============

As an aside, I also review parts(hardware) / software & games for a couple of magazines.

Given the white paper, I could pop an indepth review with full testing results into a magazine or two & perhaps one of several wsites that would love a 'better' thermalpaste should this be such a product.

Who do I speak to about reviewing CM products, I'd rather get an OK to write about my findings & be in the clear rather than get on the wrong side of CM.

salanos    0

I'm afraid I won't be able to give any comments on TF400, as I had to clean it off when reinstalling my CPU, since i had to replace my motherboard.

Well, actually, it was a combination of like 80% TF400 and 20% AC MX-2...