Sign in to follow this  
Jonesy412

V10 question

Jonesy412    0

I'm looking at an I7 build with the HAF 932 and the V8, but then I see the V10 hit and fits under the Dominator ram. My question is, do you have to remove the V10 completly to be able to change out a stick of ram?

Yes as it covers all the memory slots.Sorry ,on the plus side the V10 does a very very respectable job of cooling memory better then the Corsair Dominator fan kit IMO

I was under the impression that if you had a case with a mobo tray that would slide out, such as an 810 or an 830 & you were running regular RAM without any fancy heatsink / pipe array above the ram itself, that you could indeed remove / replace the ram so long as you were dextrous enough with your fingers...

I would also say that it would also most certainly have a lot to do with the motherboard being used too.

Not all mobos have the ram in the same location, & even if in the same location some sit higher, some lower than others in as much as where the clips are.

From all pictures I have looked at recently whilst waiting for my V10 to arrive, with the V10 on numerous boards, it really did look like it may be possible to swap rame without having to go through the trouble of removing the V10, swapping the ram, cleaning off the thermal & replacing with a fresh layer etc...

When I get my V10 on my Asus M4A79 Deluxe later today (if it happens today), I shall leave an edit here as to the ability on that board at least.

Happy to report that there is a ton of space under the V10.

Not only could I take out & move around my ram, just to show how much space is under the thing, I installed & then removed an OCZ "XTC" Ram cooling kit...

These pics are taken outside the 830 case on the mobo tray, however, the space remains the same in the case & even when wired up to run all 4 slots of ram are easily removed, replaced etc.

Loadsa' room even if you have pork sauges for fingers you can swap out that ram.

DSC00042.jpg

Yup, that is a ram cooler (OCZ 'XTC') installed whilst the V10 is in place over the ram... look, still room to play about under there.

DSC00043.jpg

I can't wait to smack a few website reiews & testers who are obviously very biased against the V10, showing them these pictures & even a bit of video of me changing the ram inside the case.

It looks like an AMD on an Asus is a win win situation if you want to mess with your ram huh...

The dominator ram & XMS3... is there a way to remove the stock heatsinks that come with them without causing damage, replacing them with something a tad more effective (after market parts) & not as 'tall'?

That would certainly help you out if you feel the need to mess with your ram.

But lets face it, unless you have a stick go bad, how often apart from a 'stripdown to clean up' do you even touch your ram?

For myself a monthly 'dust bunny' hunt, a bi-monthly removal of cards during the dust bunny extermination & a 6 to 7 month total strip down, thoughro' clean up with removal of heatsink to replace thermal compound.

Only during that 6 to 7 month strip down do I even pull or touch the ram & in that case the V10 would be off the board anyways.

So the all important question is does it matterif youcan get to the ram or not?

It looks like an AMD on an Asus is a win win situation if you want to mess with your ram huh...

The dominator ram & XMS3... is there a way to remove the stock heatsinks that come with them without causing damage, replacing them with something a tad more effective (after market parts) & not as 'tall'?

That would certainly help you out if you feel the need to mess with your ram.

But lets face it, unless you have a stick go bad, how often apart from a 'stripdown to clean up' do you even touch your ram?

For myself a monthly 'dust bunny' hunt, a bi-monthly removal of cards during the dust bunny extermination & a 6 to 7 month total strip down, thoughro' clean up with removal of heatsink to replace thermal compound.

Only during that 6 to 7 month strip down do I even pull or touch the ram & in that case the V10 would be off the board anyways.

So the all important question is does it matterif youcan get to the ram or not?

Perfect thought process :D so many used that as a flaw on this V10 but it isnt .For what it is the V10 does a good job overall and it does help cool memory quite well (better then the Corsair cooler no doubt)and really keeps dust off the whole memory area of the motherboard (at least for me that spot is always cleaner so far )

so many used that as a flaw on this V10 but it isnt .For what it is the V10 does a good job overall and it does help cool memory quite well (better then the Corsair cooler no doubt)and really keeps dust off the whole memory area of the motherboard (at least for me that spot is always cleaner so far )

This is what angered me the most in all the reviews I read & what made me to throw caution to the wind & buy one to test it for myself.

As I have mentioned on the forums Ihad tried the Ultra TEC Hybrid & that failed big time yet gets massive praise (Biased paid for reviews is what I see all over the internet & magazines), that & I liked the idea for myself but more importantly I have a strong client & customer base who will want the V10... I never install anything unless I have tried it, lived with it & like it myself.

A lot of the reviews do appear to be using an i7 (when they have a pair & say what they are testing on) and looking at the brackets for it compared to the standoffs for the K8 / AM & AM2, well, AMD users score with that extra space n doubt about it.

Despite proof with video & links to pictures as I posted here, my review caused a bit of a stir at newegg & was yanked after a short term (less than amorning), perhaps the fools who complained about the space complained abut my 'real results' & the title was "REAL UNBIASED REVIEW" lols...

TBH I have always been an early adopter with many parts of PCs, nothing has given me so much joy and the feeling of value for money & the knowledge that I purchased an item that will not only do as advertised but last for the life of the PC as the V10 has...

Mind you, my old FX 60 (last of th great dual core 939s) comes pretty close, but then I paid over $1200 for that CPU, less than $150 for the V10.. so compaing the two wouldn't be fair anyways.

============

Side note:

Great to see a solid forum like this with members active over the weekend too.

Damn refreshing, no flame wars, no spam (well maybe a little), great active members & staff...

Total breath of fresh air.