Sign in to follow this  
Jibeker

HAF 932 and DUST concerns

Jibeker    0

Hey all.

I'm in the market for a new case, and I've got to say the HAF 932 has made me drool from the moment I've seen it.

However, with a case that size and its airflow capacity, I've noticed that many of you have shown concerns for dust.

So I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone found a filter solution? i.e., have you made your own? Found some that fit? etc.?

2. I know of dust filters for 120mm fans, so how many of you have replaced the 230mm fans with all 120mm fans? And if so, how much does this increase the sound level?

3. If anyone is familiar with the Antec 900 and its lack of dust filtration, what is the dust-buildup levels of the HAF 932 in comparison to the Antec 900 (I must say, the 900 brings in quite a bit).

If I can think of anything else, I'll ask, but I feel in the back of my mind that I've made up my mind about the HAF, I just need to feel confident about that decision.

Also on a completely other note: I travel back and forth to school a lot which is a 3 hour trip. Though this case is toolless, do I have the option of screwing in my hard drives, optical drives, and video cards? I don't want some flimsy holds on them and to open my trunk to see that stuff has fallen all over the place.

Thanks again =]

EsaT    0

Design is as open as magpie's nest so exactly zero chances for keeping dust away except with positive pressure cooling.

Best bet for that would be slowing exhaust fans to minimum and forcing air into case with front and side fans (with filters) but doing that and retaining correct airflow everywhere in case could be harder because of all those holes around it.

As for moving case between places HDD trays look about as secure as they can be without screws and should be good enough. Also you can use screws for securing 5.25" devices.

But long and heavy graphic cards definitely benefit from additional support (one manufacturer has that in bigger cases) even during normal moving of case in room.

Although during transportation keeping case on its right side (heavy CPU heatsinks definitely need that) helps somewhat also to that and surely keeps HDDs in their places.

Jibeker    0

Ok, so if I do the positive pressure thing, you said to use filters. Where can I even get filters for this case?

Secondly, you said large cards can benefit from additional support, but where can I get it? Can I screw in the card to the expansion slot?

VALKYRIE    11

The grills and the filters reduce and decrease the speed of the Airflow , therefore with the grills and filters the temperatures are higher , I cut out the grills and eliminated all the filters in my case, my nVidia FANLESS 8800GT have 36-38c IDLE ( room temp= 23-25c ) , at load barely reach 50c FANLESS

Image0022-1.jpg

yyyyyyy.jpg

Wolfgang    0

I am building a new system with this same case (HAF 932) and was really preoccupied with the dust issue. I've been thinking about what remedies to use with this case to prevent/avoid dust builtup. After reading some forums, and doing more thinking, I found/discovered a couple of options, and here the are:

Go to http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 75591.html and read speckled10's post for "2008-Dec-31, 1pm AEST". This guy suggest using leg stockings as filters. I think this is an excellent idea since this fabric is very intricately weaved and are usually made out of Lycra, polyester, nylon, or a mixed of them. Since these are artificial materials, they don't shed lint. He suggest using a large sized stocking, of the Coles's YLC (Coles) Brand 'Fuller Figure Pantyhose that fit perfectly over the larger fans of the HAF 932. Read his post to learn more.

After reading this, I brainstormed some more and then it occurred to me, a more-or-less perfect solution; Recycle an air conditioner's filter. You can buy one, get one at a local air conditioner repair shop or to a warehouse of a retailer like Sears, Wall-mart, etc...

Now I admit, I still haven't started my build but I am thinking ahead to correct this case's shortcoming before its all set up and I have to re-open the case to fix this. But remembering a wall air conditioner's filter, which can be easily pulled out for cleaning, I do remember that the new ones are made out of a plastic frame with the mesh over it. It might be possible to cut the frame to the appropriate measurement to cover those big fans, maybe holding them between the fan and case. I don't know, i will come back to the "How-to" when I get there.

But both these ideas might help others beside myself. Another pointer, keep your PC area clean, and have a static rag or microfiber cloth exclusively to dust off your PC area, and do it regularly...I know I do.

SYSTEM:

HAF 932

MSI K9A2 PLATINUM

AMD PHENOM II 940 X4

EVGA GeFORCE GTX 285 (HDMI)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB (2)

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Other:

LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model GGC-H20L

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q

soyuz    0
Hey all.

I'm in the market for a new case, and I've got to say the HAF 932 has made me drool from the moment I've seen it.

However, with a case that size and its airflow capacity, I've noticed that many of you have shown concerns for dust.

1. Has anyone found a filter solution? i.e., have you made your own? Found some that fit? etc.?

2. I know of dust filters for 120mm fans, so how many of you have replaced the 230mm fans with all 120mm fans? And if so, how much does this increase the sound level?

3. If anyone is familiar with the Antec 900 and its lack of dust filtration, what is the dust-buildup levels of the HAF 932 in comparison to the Antec 900 (I must say, the 900 brings in quite a bit).

If I can think of anything else, I'll ask, but I feel in the back of my mind that I've made up my mind about the HAF, I just need to feel confident about that decision.

Also on a completely other note: I travel back and forth to school a lot which is a 3 hour trip. Though this case is toolless, do I have the option of screwing in my hard drives, optical drives, and video cards? I don't want some flimsy holds on them and to open my trunk to see that stuff has fallen all over the place.

Thanks again =]

GOOGLE (Demciflex filters) a company based in SouthAfrica can help you solve this issue

SuperJoker    0
Hey all.

Thanks again =]

GOOGLE (Demciflex filters) a company based in SouthAfrica can help you solve this issue

Yes for about maybe $50(US) and I have no idea If that includes shipping and until Cooler Master starts to sell a dust filter kit that they designed and I gather are currently sitting on... The one from South Africa is the only game in town.

I would have responded here months ago, But It seems someone didn't like My email address or something and I couldn't post after login until today.