Sign in to follow this  
TacticalTimbo

GTX280/power suppy match up?

Hi all,

Will this PSU: http://www.coolermaster.com/products/pr ... 22&id=2573 be fine with a single GTX280? It's just this 12V rail having enough amps thing is really winding me up now, I mean this thing has like 6 of em but there so low and nvidia recommends 40A min? Is it one 40A or as many rails as you like, as long as they add up to 40? Nvidia I don't need this crystal maze, ok!

EsaT    0

GTX280 peaks around 180W (15A), then 80W for old hot Q6600 quad core and 50W for rest so we're at little above 300W peak draw.

Please someone, give us a power supply to go for. Someone else out there must already be running a GTX 280 and be able to recommend one? I have a fair bit of computing knowledge but am not confident enough to make my own unguided decision, not at these prices! all I want is a psu that has enough power to drive the GTX 280 without being needlessly over rated, or flashy; I don't want one with flashing lights or silly animé of half naked woman emblazoned on all four sides, just the cheapest one that will do the job.