Sign in to follow this  
Icejon

Choose your I/O Wisely

Which I/O would you keep based on what you use. Pick one!  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which I/O would you keep based on what you use. Pick one!

• E-Sata for external HDDs!
    • IEEE1394 for digital cameras, consumer electronics and other devices!
    • I choose niether, give me 2 more USB Ports!
    • I never use front panel connections!

Icejon    0

Imagine your case front I/O panel connections. If you had to choose one port, which would it be? Your feedbacks would help.

A standard case has this front I/O:

2 USB

2 Audio and Mic

1 something else.

biggatomic    0

how about 3 usb's and a card reader. 1 ieee 1394. i use my firewire ports more than esata.

EsaT    0

Quite many TFT displays have USB hub so I wouldn't say you need automatically half dozen USB connectors.

Also most multifuntion panels (fan controllers, card readers...) have USB ports.

IEEE1394 is used by DV and HDV camcorders, external HDD boxes and soem card readers... and in practise ot's faster than USB2 fitting better for them.

External HDDs are probably going to have eSATA more often infuture because of higher available bandwidth.

It's those audio ports I need least because of X-Fi with front I/O panel.

Maxession    1

I chose eSata, as I know quite a few persons using it for their external HDs, and I know I'd use it myself, if I have an external HD.

2 USB ports are probably enough for me, I use 1 for my USB headset, and the other is empty, but used for my USB memory sticks/card reader.

I got 2 more, but haven't used more than 2 at once.

Firewire is something that's only used by a certain group(like photographers etc) and more in certain regions, I personally don't know of 1 single person who uses it, and I'm an IT student... it's pretty much always USB instead of it.

But I guess you should at least have 1 connection of each type to stay compatible with everything, so I'd say this:

- 2 USB (or 4 with higher end cases)

- 1 Firewire

- 1 Audio

- 1 Mic

- 1 eSata

:?

clorenz    2
Quite many TFT displays have USB hub so I wouldn't say you need automatically half dozen USB connectors.

Also most multifunction panels (fan controllers, card readers...) have USB ports.

IEEE1394 is used by DV and HDV camcorders, external HDD boxes and some card readers... and in practice it's faster than USB2 fitting better for them.

External HDDs are probably going to have eSATA more often in the future because of higher available bandwidth.

It's those audio ports I need least because of X-Fi with front I/O panel.

Dude, I'm sorry but IEEE1394 is not faster than USB 2.0.... USB 2.0 is 480Mbps where as IEEE1394 is only 400Mbps. Not to mention not very many External Hard Drive enclosures use IEEE1394 anymore. Some have the connector for it, but come with a USB cable instead. Infact very few even support both IEEE1394 and USB 2.0 anymore.

As for eSATA and external enclosures, there are quite a few out on the market today. Infact I believe T.T has an eSATA docking station that allows you to just plug any SATA hard drive into it and it connects to your eSATA port on the computer, allowing you to change out the eSATA drive with out having to remove it from an enclosure, you just don't have the drive in an enclosure.

cmyers    0

Why can't we have all of them? =(

Stacker 830 front panel + Esata = Win

...and as for card readers...Do you really want something like that built into the front panel? I'd much rather have a bay device... :roll:

EsaT    0
Dude, I'm sorry but IEEE1394 is not faster than USB 2.0.... USB 2.0 is 480Mbps where as IEEE1394 is only 400Mbps.
And all politicians are honest and aim for the good of the people...

USB's speed is only theoretical and because of bus structure data transfers need much more attention/control from CPU!

http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

Have never heard anyone achieving even close to theoretical speed.

Creech    0
Dude, I'm sorry but IEEE1394 is not faster than USB 2.0.... USB 2.0 is 480Mbps where as IEEE1394 is only 400Mbps. Not to mention not very many External Hard Drive enclosures use IEEE1394 anymore. Some have the connector for it, but come with a USB cable instead. Infact very few even support both IEEE1394 and USB 2.0 anymore.

Actually, EsaT is correct, and you are too in a way, clorenz. The theoretical maximum throughput for USB2.0 is higher than the theoretical maximum throughput of FireWire400. But in real-world situations, and considering that FireWire800 is standard now, it has a much higher actual speed than USB2.0 in nearly all situations. The difference in actual speed is mainly because USB is limited by the host processor whereas FireWire is not.

As far as the front panel I/O on cases goes, I think as long as there are at least two or three USB, one IEEE1394, and audio/mic, most people will be good to go. Extra USB ports and an ESATA port would be welcome additions though especially as more external hard drives support ESATA. Some people like memory card readers, but I would never really use one on the front panel.

Icejon    0
Why can't we have all of them? =(

Stacker 830 front panel + Esata = Win

...and as for card readers...Do you really want something like that built into the front panel? I'd much rather have a bay device... :roll:

This survey is for new cases. End users don't really know the extra costs involved in adding what seems to be a "free" connector that comes with the case. In an either or situation we would like to know what is the most important. We want to find out the perfect combination of front I/O that adds value and is useful to most people. So this is an either/or question, not "I want it all!" We all want many things.