Sign in to follow this  
Otniel Ruelas

V8 Official Thread

The V8 CPU Cooler was supplied with lga1366 brackets for my i7 cpu and motherboard, but the screws that screw the cooler to the motherboard would not, under any circumstances, fit thru the designated holes and engage the threads in the LG1366 brackets no matter what technique or force was used. The upper ferrules were simply much too big to fit into the incorrectly threaded holes in the brackets. I have not seen this problem on the forums as yet, so I'm sure mine is an anomaly. I've built many, MANY systems using all manner of aftermarket coolers, both air and water, and have not encountered this problem. I would simply use the stock cooler with my Intel 920 i7CPU, but I don't want to have to take the system apart again to replace the stock cooler with another aftermarket device. That being said, has anyone else run into this problem? I have the parts for the following system:

Lian-Li Black FULL tower Alum Case

EVGA X58 Mobo

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

EVGA 260 GTX FTW Series Graphics Cards x 2

Corsair HX1000 watt PS

3 Segate 1TB SATAII HDs

Corsir Dominator 6GB Triple Channel Memory Kit

Coolermaster V8

2 Samsung LightScribe DVD+/- R Burners

Floppy

Unfortunately, the parts are simply sitting on my build stand waiting for me to decide what to do. I have sent a message to CoolerMaster requesting new brackets and screws as soon as possible.

As I said, I do all sorts of builds, and build many other things as well, and I KNOW that I was assembling the brackets correctly. The parts were simply machined incorrectly.

Can anyone from CM Speak to this?

Thanks!!!

Mark

Sim    0

A question for anyone that owns this cooler, how good is the thermal paste that comes with this cooler.

Did you use the thermal paste or did you use something else?

allen175    0

I put my V8 on my i7 yesterday and overclocked to 3.99999GHz with 1.4Vcore its idle temps are 32 Degrees, haven't got a load temp yet.

@ System builder, the screws are not normal "righty tighty, lefty lousy" it the other way, i had that problem yesterday and then remembered that i saw the problem in somebody elses post.

@Sim, Not sure what the paste is like i used Antec silver paste on mine.

ramlock    0

Hi,

My problems include:

It's all installed now except for the bracket for the speed controller. I cannot

clip the controller lip that is supposed to go into the rear of the bracket. The

diagram does not show any other information or advise. I'm not going to remove

the fan just to get this replaced.

The instructions are not very clear about turning the heat sink plate on counter-clockwise

other than a tiny arrow I noticed after finally noticing this very non-standard way.

I still can't understand why some instructions can't be given instead of searching the internet

for advise on this. It's the annoying things you remember about a company that make you

stay away. Like the HAF 932 Coolermaster case I just bought has motherboard retaining

screws packed with only one type of screw - a non-matching screw. The other plastic bag

has screws that fit. There's nothing worse than getting these stuck in the retaining screws

so I always double check the fit.

Steve

Maxession    1
I cannot

clip the controller lip that is supposed to go into the rear of the bracket. The

diagram does not show any other information or advise. I'm not going to remove

the fan just to get this replaced.

The instructions are not very clear about turning the heat sink plate on counter-clockwise

other than a tiny arrow I noticed after finally noticing this very non-standard way.

Check the instructions from my review, it might help you.

Jen    0

I just wanna know, can the coolermaster v8 fit inside my Cosmos S case. I hear on some forums that you'll need to remove your fan, or buy the transparent Acrylic side panel by cooler master. Can I get some people who know 100% for sure to respond :| .

Khaotic    0
I just wanna know, can the coolermaster v8 fit inside my Cosmos S case. I hear on some forums that you'll need to remove your fan, or buy the transparent Acrylic side panel by cooler master. Can I get some people who know 100% for sure to respond :| .

+1 on this issue. I have a Cosmos S and want to continue using the fan on the side door becuase of the excellent ventilation is provides for an SLI setup.

Will the V8 create clearance issues?

RichardG    0

I fitted my Cooler Master V8 yesterday using the LGA 1366 Retention Brackets supplied. It was OK fitting the 4 left-hand-threaded screws and screwing the Retention Plates to the heat sink 'block'. But then it was really hard getting the 4 screws through the holes in the Main Board. Closer inspection revealed that the screws are not perfectly aligned, but come out slightly at an angle to each other. I haven't yet discovered if this is because the retention plates are not exactly flat, or if it's because the tapped holes for the left-hand-thread screws are not at 90 degrees to the surface of the Retention Plates. As a result, it took quite a bit of fiddling to get the 4 screws through the Main Board holes.

Second thing, I had applied quite a minimalistic amount of silver-based heat sink compound, and I took a LOT of care getting that perfect, thin, even film. Due to the problems getting the heatsink onto the board, after everything was fully tightened, I didn't feel comfortable, so I took it all apart again to check. It was obvious from the heat sink compound, that LESS THAN HALF of the core I7 heat spreader had managed to contact the heat sink block!!!!

In part this was because I haven't lapped the top of my core I7 720, and it is visibly not that flat as supplied. In part it is because there is NOT ENOUGH PRESSURE from the heat sink Retaining Plates to get the two parts properly in contact. I should add that the base surface of the V8 block is beautifully smooth and flat. The problem is mainly the retention plates.

I did reassemble with a thicker layer of heat sink compound, and then dis-assemble again to check. This time it did get a contact right across the I7 heat spreader, but it should not be nessecary to use this much heat sink compound.

I'm still not at all happy with the fit. I'm going to have to lap the core I7 and also make some slight mods to the V8 Retaining Plates. When I get in to work tomorrow I'll take it in to the machine shop and clock the plates up for flatness on a surface table, and also use a vernier to measure the various distances involved in the fit up.

For now, I STRONGLY advise other users to double check they are getting a good contact, by dis-assembling, cleaning up, and re-assembling if everything's OK. Otherwise you could end up running a LOT hotter than you should with this HS.

BTW I'm also using a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R.