Sign in to follow this  
Otniel Ruelas

ATCS 840 Official Thread

boredgunner    0
Has anyone done a temp comparison between using the 2 big fans on the top of case vs 4 smaller ones?

You can only use a max of three 120mm fans on top. The 230mm fans aren't good for airflow - one of my Cooler Master R4 120mm fans provides better airflow than one of the 230mm fans.

Using two 230mm fans on top or three 120mm fans on top are a bad idea. The top fans closest to the front of the case will draw air out of the case before the air gets to cool other components. When I was still using the 230mm fans, I unplugged the top one closest to the front of the case, which made CPU temps go down by 7 degrees at idle. So for best performance, use one 120mm top fan or even better, do what I did. Put your PSU on top, nothing else. This way you can use dual 120mm bottom intakes. See my above post for more.

shaned    0

I will have to test that out. Currently I have the stock front fan the stock back fan and the 2 stock top fans as well I added a Noctua 120mm fan to the bottom pulling air into the case and another Noctua 120mm mounted behind the harddrive cage blowing towards the motherboard. So you suggest simply unplug the very top fan closest to the front of the case? You suggest removing both top fans all together and replace it with 1 120mm in the top back?

Thanks

boredgunner    0

I suggest removing both top fans, putting your PSU on top, and using dual 120mm bottom intake fans. Add another 120mm fan behind the HDD cage, and add another 120mm fan to the external air duct so it can exhaust the air the video cards are exhausting. I suggest replacing the front 230mm fan with a high CFM fan, your Noctuas don't qualify, being only 54 CFM.

Kuat    0
Using two 230mm fans on top or three 120mm fans on top are a bad idea. The top fans closest to the front of the case will draw air out of the case before the air gets to cool other components. When I was still using the 230mm fans, I unplugged the top one closest to the front of the case, which made CPU temps go down by 7 degrees at idle.

I tried just unplugging it like you said, but it didn't help any.

I then I flipped the first fan over, so instead of blowing out, it now blows in. Temps dropped 4-5 degreec 'C.