Sign in to follow this  
Otniel Ruelas

ATCS 840 Official Thread

boredgunner    0
HI,

just updating my fans in my case. Wanting to know if the rear fan for the VGA card make much of a different in temps. Also, how did you mount you black lights inside, or should I say where did you mount the on/off switch. I will post pictures when done.

The external air duct is very helpful if you use a good fan. I'm using the 90 CFM Cooler Master R4 series fan in mine. The on/off switch go in expansion slots, but I only have one in an expansion slot. The other is in the 3.5" bay.

wetfit9    0

Thannks for the information. I decided not to put the catholes in. Went with the Cooler Master R4(blue). I love these as they are not to bright. I just order a new 200mm fan from cooler master which supose to have a higher air flow then the stock fan. Running 3.8 on my Classified(759) with idle temps at 34. Question, what about the nb fan. Needed or not. I have the X-Fi sound card and I could move it if the fans would help the NB.

System:

Classified 759

Dominators GT 2000mHz

WD black 640 x2 in RAID0

Window 7 RC

Ultra X3 1000w power supply

PM cpu cooler

I7 920(DO) @ 3.8

Seagate 1.5T for back up

Your thoughts

boredgunner    0

I would definitely put a 40mm fan on the north bridge of the EVGA X58 Classified. It supports one. You ordered a 200mm fan? Would that be a Storm Force 200mm fan or a Megaflow 200mm fan? The Megaflow fans aren't any better than the 230mm fans, and the ATCS 840 doesn't support 200mm fans. I'll probably replace the 230mm fans with 120mm fans.

wetfit9    0

I ordered the Megaflow fan. I hope it fits as it is stated on the CM web site. So I guess that was a wasted $30 on the fan if it does not perform any better then the one already in. You know I looked at putting 120mm up front, but could not fine a way to mount them in the front. I am thinking of going with the 120mm up top, but only using two instead of three. Do you know of anyone who has went with the 120mm uptop and if so, is there any different.

I guess I will have to move my sound card now to the second pci slot to add the 40mm fan on the NB. I hope it give me nice drop in temps. The sound card should work in that slot with no problems. It just look funny with the sound card in between the 295's. :D

boredgunner    0

Well, there are two 230mm fans on top. The one closest to the front of the case should be disabled, since it does more harm than good. I imagine two 120mm top fans would be a lot better than a 230mm. If you look at the specs on the Megaflow fan, it has the same 700 RPM/110 CFM/19 DBA rating as the 230mm fans. The only difference is that the frame is smaller, both have 190mm blades. If you ordered the Storm Force 200mm fan, you'd see a performance difference since those are rated at 1000 RPM/142 CFM. You should be able to use the fan brackets so you can use a 120mm fan in the front.

boredgunner    0
true it does but then you have a huge void at the bottom of ur case.....

Fixed :bounce:

img3501s.jpg

By boredgunner, shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-08-27

img3510t.jpg

By boredgunner, shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-08-27

If you want to replace the front 230mm fan with a 120mm fan, you're going to have to disassemble the entire front of the case so that the screws for the fan bracket lines up with the 230mm mounts. I was too lazy to disassemble the case, so I did what I did best, zip tied the fan :blackeye:

img3512s.jpg

By boredgunner, shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-09-06

That's just a temporary solution though, soon I'm going to get a Scythe S-Flex 1900 RPM fan, and zip tie both fans to the front (on the HDD cage). With the front 230mm fan gone and the 120mm fan there (it's a CM R4 fan), my HDD temps dropped 1-2 degrees.