Sign in to follow this  
Otniel Ruelas

ATCS 840 Official Thread

Xevus    0

I've recently bought this case and wanted to share my findings. First of all, let me say that this is probably the best case in it's price range on the market. While i've searched for a new case i've studied about 60 or 70 different cases, nothing else suited my needs. There are some better Lian Li's out there, but at almost twice the price. However, ATCS 840 isn't the perfect case, here is why

1) For ATX sized MB there is one support missing, middle one at the right side

2) Inserting expansion cards is challenging, especially so with videocard. For some reasons small tongue on the plate meets some significant resistance during insertion

3) Really prone to white stains on that black aluminum (i wonder what is this exactly ?)

4) Cable management could be better. Hole for extra MB power plug is misplaced, it should be way more to the left. If you insist on reduced number of holes, move the biggest one lower. Cable management section should be couple of mms deeper, it requires some force to close the lid with a lot a cables. Especially so in HDD area, i have 5 drives there and routing all those cables was serious issue for me.

5) If you add 120mm fan at the bottom, it prevents PSU dust filter from being removed

6) For some weird reasons HDD and Power led are mislabeled, they should be vice versa. Unless you intended Power led to blink all the time.

7) Would be nice to have easier 3.25" bay installation. Attaching rails with screws is quite old fashioned.

8) I don't understand why would you build a supposedly dust proof case with so many good and accessible filters and then built it around negative pressure and left so many holes in it ? Negative pressure will attract dust through every single hole, no way around it. That's why i've disconnected one of the exhaust fans and added extra intake at the bottom, it should be able to make the case pressure positive. In a month i see how bad is the dust, maybe i will had to close all those holes at the back.

9) The last one is really unexpected. HDD are reverberating in this case. I have no idea how is this possible, since they all are placed on antivibration rubber, but this is the fact.

new to the forum. been doing a tremendous amount of research concerning water cooling. i've scoured the web and been unable to find any information on my question.

i'm interested in purchasing this tower. i was wondering if there was clearance for a tfc360 in a push/pull situation as well as dual shrouds (62mm(rad), 50mm(both fans), and 62mm(dual shrouds)) at the top of the case? total in mm is 174mm. is there any chance someone could measure from the top of the case to the top of the mb tray for me?

thanks in advance!

tomslick.ca    0

no, it looks like you have 90-95mm from the top of the case (230mm fans removed) to the radiator mounting rails, and aboout 65mm if you leave the two 230mm fans that come with the case in place

pcew    0

The biggest disadvantage of this case is it doesn't have a side fan. I would prefer that Coolermaster build some side panels with 2 times 140mm fans mounting.

jbjtkbw00    0

You guys weren't kidding. It was a bear to get anything into the front drive bays, but I managed to. Let me show you:

Here's the Dual Drive Bay Cooler for my dual ATI 4870x2's. View from front of case.

3446577782_cf857b63e3.jpg?v=1239849497

Here's what it looks like closeup.

3445762851_7f271e1419.jpg?v=0

And from the rear.

3445762081_264dc0542e.jpg?v=0

I must say BRAVO to Cooler Master for not only providing a removable motherboard tray to make the installation of the CoolIT Freezone Elite that much easier, but the cutout for the retention bracket for the processor? Absolutely brilliant! This should be a de-facto standard on all cases. I love my Cosmos 1010, but this just wasn't possible with it.

3445757369_ec6c0dc798.jpg?v=0

Finally, a pic of the installation with the tray back in the case with the RAM installed and the liquid cooled 4870 x2's attached to the motherboard. Thanks for looking.

3446576564_26a898de1d.jpg?v=0

boredgunner    0

Nice modding. I have a question though, how much clearance would you say is between the front edge of the case and the front feet? It looks like a few inches for me. If this is true I should be able to fit this sucker on my desk.

jbjtkbw00    0

I'd say approx 3 inches. Don't have my tape measure handy and daughter on lap watching Elmo's World so it's a spot check.

This case is deep though. Manual states 24.80" deep (630 mm).

boredgunner    0

Thanks, good to know. My desk measures 24" so I don't mind it sticking out a little bit in the front. In fact thats good since the front 230mm fan takes some air from the bottom of the case, and its filtered :bounce:

jbjtkbw00    0

OH dude, you're golden then. But don't forget you clearance on the back end for cables and what not, so if you have a hutch or are against a wall, factor in more than the actual case depth. I'd say at least another 6 inches to be able to add/remove cables and to allow air to escape the rear fan area.