Sign in to follow this  
Otniel Ruelas

ATCS 840 Official Thread

ncsa    0

Ok .. thanks for the quick response .. I will have to do something about the power as these are currently stressing the back cover a wee bit.

Another question I forgot to post was how to remove the 5.25" quick release as I have a display which only has short mounting brackets and needs to be screwed in.. the RH side is ok but cannot get a suitable screw through the LH bracket?

Thanks

EDIT:

Worked it out .. easy really just have to watch the springs which will fall out. Now the LCD display is mounted securely. :)

boredgunner    0

Here is some modding I did. It really improved air flow, I should now have neutral air pressure and the external air duct helps the GPU exhausting air.

Unplugged one of the 230mm fans (the one closer to the drive bay cage) as it drew air out prematurely [old news].

img1823q.jpg

By boredgunner, shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-05-23

Modded 80mm fan using double sided tape and a zip tie [old news].

img1822i.jpg

By boredgunner, shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-05-23

Added Scythe Kama bay. Due to the 5.25" to 3.5" drive bay converter I couldn't mount it in the bottom three slots. I can't see how to remove the adapter.

img1968z.jpg

By boredgunner, shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-06-01

Used included fan brackets, zip tied them to the drive bay cage. Push/pull design with the front 230mm fan and 120mm fan (120mm fan is in the Scythe Kama bay).

img1970rqr.jpg

Current air flow setup.

airflowh.jpg

I'm replacing all of the 120mm fans and the modded 80mm fan with COOLER MASTER R4 series (2000 RPM/90 CFM/19 DBA). Blue LEDs all around except for in the Kama bay and external air duct (no LED). I ordered them from amazon and they're on backorder :x

HDD idle temps are 28-31 degrees Celsius.

CPU idle temps are 32-37 degrees Celsius. Prime95 temps are 51-55 degrees Celsius.

GTX 260 idle temps are 42-43 degrees Celsius. ATItool temps are 60-65 degrees Celsius. Cryostasis temps are 65-70 degrees Celsius (a little bit higher than the Crysis games).

9600GT idle temps are 44 degrees Celsius. Cryostasis temps are 45-47 degrees Celsius (dedicated PhysX processor).

Northbridge temps are 36-39 degrees Celsius.

pcew    0

Hey are you planning to change 120mm fans to 140mm. Actually you can replace rear and bottom fan with 140mm fans.. you will have to drill holes.

I am not sure if 230mm will fit in the bottom. Also can you post a good snap shot of front side of the case as I wan't to see how Scythe Kama bay really looks on ATCS840 :wink:

I really like the idea of the center fan right next to video card.

boredgunner    0

I'll get a picture later, since I have no camera and I have to borrow one. I don't have it right now :cry:

A 230mm fan won't fit on the bottom. I won't replace the 120mm fans with 140mm fans, because honestly I don't know of any 140mm fan that performs on par with high end 120mm fans such as the CM R4 series which spin at 2000 RPM and push 90 CFM of air. Scythe has a fan that spins 1900 RPM and pushes 110 CFM of air. I'll use those on my CPU cooler when I upgrade. Are there any 140mm fans this good? That Scythe fan has the same CFM rating as the 230mm fans on the ATCS 840. I think CM should abandon these fans and use the CM Storm Force 200mm fans that are rated at 142 CFM. Even at max speed (1000 RPM), they're not THAT loud.

pcew    0

I totally agree with you as there is none 140mm fans that is even closer to 120mm fans especially R4 series :wink:

I just wan't to know if R4 series are loud at 2000rpm? I am really concern about the noise of such fans.

boredgunner    0
I totally agree with you as there is none 140mm fans that is even closer to 120mm fans especially R4 series :wink:

I just wan't to know if R4 series are loud at 2000rpm? I am really concern about the noise of such fans.

Surprisingly not. They are MUCH quieter than Antec TriCool fans. The R4 series use sleeve bearings for more silent operation. I still have two Antec TriCool fans in my case that I need to get rid of.

If you want pure silence and somewhat decent cooling, I recommend these fans.

http://www.xoxide.com/noctua-nfp12-120m ... m=Shopping

These spin at 1300 RPM, they have little notches in them that somehow reduce noise, and still push 54.3 CFM of air.

Hey pcew, here is what you asked for :)

img2095.jpg

By boredgunner, shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-06-03

Falknir    0

Boredgunner, it tells you in Cooler Master's own ATCS 840 manual how to remove the adapter for installing 3.5 devices. Secondly, the extreme-majority of all fan specifications released by companies over the years are misleading and sometimes very-obvious to system builders (never rely on company given fan specs, ever). In the real-world, the CM R4 Series of fans probably cannot get above 50 CFM (even with a shroud) at 2000 RPM, seriously doubt the pressure rating, and the noise level is very-likely between 25 DB (lowest speed) to 50 DB (highest). They are still likely good fans, probably be awhile before there are enough samples for accurate real-world measurements to get a good idea how they perform in comparison.

One last bit, any 120mm fan pushing past 50 CFM will be deeper then 25mm and-or it's spinning well-beyond 2000 RPM to achieve this, and you are likely going to have a noisy beast of a fan either way.

Also, Koolance FAN-14025HBK (Black, No LED) and FAN-14025HLED (Blue LED) are 140mm x 25mm fans that spin at 1,700 RPM, which have been getting better results then great 120mm fans up to about 1,900 RPM. They tend to go for about $10-$15 USD.

jbjtkbw00    0

I just got my windowed side panel. I must say that I'm so glad I did. I like seeing my CoolIT Freezone Elite through the side. Also, the new panel fits better as it has 3 corresponding tabs on top that slide into the case rails. The original panel lacked these. Feels more sturdy when attaching now. Guess it's really needed from the additional weight of the glass, but I think it also makes it feel more solid.

wetfit9    0

HI,

just updating my fans in my case. Wanting to know if the rear fan for the VGA card make much of a different in temps. Also, how did you mount you black lights inside, or should I say where did you mount the on/off switch. I will post pictures when done.