Sign in to follow this  
GR8One84

Fan Less PSU

Maxession    1

Hmm, there have been fanless PSU's already, so I guess it's possible to maintain the heat at a decent level.

But it wouldn't be something for me, I'd just prefer a silent fan.

It's more something for fanless PCs I guess.

How much extra could it cost?

Zenphic    0

That would be definitely cool. Some other companies have made some, but the problems with them are that they have a high price premium versus fanned power supplies of similar performance and they are not modular.

I would get one if the price is right, it's modular and doesn't exhibit too much coil whine.

aSASa    0

I would say skip it. Other companies who have tried this have very high failure rates because of the rapid heat-up and cool down damaging parts.

Stick with a silent 500-1000RPM fan, not like most people will notice that anyway.

strudinox    0

You would diffidently degrade the life of your PSU as those things run pretty hot at times. Unless they can find a better way to convert power, I doubt it will ever be mainstream. 8)

shawn1cai    0

It really depends on the particular PSU.

High efficiency means that more AC electricity is converted to regulated DC power, and less AC electricity is lost as heat. In other words, more efficiency means less heat.

Some fanless PSU are simply garbage. They're not efficient enough to actually run without a fan, and thus will definitely get a higher rate of failure. (Cursedly, companies that make PSUs like that still charges more. Go figure.) Many fanless PSU are absolutely fantastic. They are fanless because they actually don't need it. They will not fail, because they are very high quality.

I really like the idea of a fanless PSU. It is quiet; who can complain about that? Though, it's rather inevitable that one would pay more - not necessarily for the lack of the fan, but rather a higher-quality quality that results in the fanless design.

There are already fan-less PSUs out there - at the market. Passively cooled, they can only have a certain maximum wattage capacity unlike PSU with cooled by fans. Cooler Master have PSUs with silent fans, but I still haven't heard any passively cooled PSUs from them.

world    84

I would prefer a PSU that turns on the fan past a certain wattage, but is fanless when power draw is low. This way, you get the benefits of a fanless PSU when your computer is idling, but when you're using your computer for more intensive activities (which probably require cooling fans to be ramped up), the PSU fan spins up and allows for a high capacity PSU. Pure fanless PSU's usually have a low max output, so they wouldn't be that useful for me.