Sign in to follow this  
GR8One84

Low Wattage PSU line

GR8One84    0

Hello CM Faithfull, I though I would include you all into this discussion regarding a low wattage PSU. How would a PSU line with 300-460 Watts benifit you? Pro's Cons' reccomendations? All comments are welcome.

aSASa    0

I would not buy anything below 550, so I would not see a gain, but if there was a 550 I would hope it had modular cabling [ about 75%, only non modular cables would be CPU, mobo, one PCI-E, and something I know I'm forgetting ] and a 140mm fan that ran no faster than 1100RPM. Thats all I request :D.

Sonic    0

A low wattage PSU from 350w-480w would benefit a lot of users especially if the price is not too much. Something to beat the Antec Earthwatts line price area, the low wattage PSU are perfect for little folding rigs, basic computer use like email, etc..

Plus if these PSU were modular I think a lot of people would purchase them especially for mATX cases where they don't have to worry about medusas head ruining airflow at a lan party.

Zenphic    0

An eco friendly ~400W power supply would be good. Silver 80+ rating would even be better.

Aimed for silence (fan spins at about 500RPM on low output, i.e. less than 200W), modular. Priced for about 80$ and I would buy it.

ATM, I would only get an Enermax Modu82+ or Pro82+ of same wattage. CM should make something even better :)

It would go really well in a mATX case, or an HTPC.

Sonic    0

I think as long as the price aren't crazy you should be fine, though you gotta remember you got some tough competitors with Antec earthwatt series. Most of the time you could get the 380w/430w for about under $30 after MIR. Plus make sure there is quality parts in the PSU :mrgreen:.

Zenphic    0
I think as long as the price aren't crazy you should be fine, though you gotta remember you got some tough competitors with Antec earthwatt series. Most of the time you could get the 380w/430w for about under $30 after MIR. Plus make sure there is quality parts in the PSU :mrgreen:.

True that. Antec can make their EA cheap since they're almost OEM-looking! CM could try that as well to reduce costs.

Run some multi-cpu Opteron servers with HE processors installed. A good 80+ Silver supply that can run fanless or nearly so with be of interest. The whole issue about efficiency come into play for the location where the servers are installed.

For those builds I settled on the Seasonic line. But I'd give and equivalent Cooler Master a shot if the price was in line or better than Seasonic's products.

shawn1cai    0

There's a specific group of consumers that would really benefit from a sub-550W PSU. For example, I plan to build my parents a small media-based PC that shouldn't run anything more than 500W. It'll save them money, on the electricity bill, and it'll save me money on the parts. After all, they probably will not need the latest i7, or any i7 for that matter. Likewise, I plan to build myself something similar for school.

That being said, there are some fantastic low-wattage PSU out there that are capable of very high efficiency, to the point where fans are not needed! Although I am a bit biased towards Seasonic PSUs, nobody can deny that the Seasonic X-400 and X460 are both exceptional PSUs. Yes, they are expensive. However, they speak for themselves when it comes to efficiency, and you know you have a quality PSU that won't fail you (or your components).

This is a side thing, but it also benefits those who are looking for quiet. Being fanless, those two models will not make any noise. That's a big plus in my book as well.

There are other very good models; I just picked out what I believe are the best low-wattage PSUs on the market right now. As with all PSU purchases, never buy cheap PSU. That's the heart of your build, and it definitely can kill your other components if you purchase a crappy one. Do take great caution!

EDIT:

True that. Antec can make their EA cheap since they're almost OEM-looking! CM could try that as well to reduce costs.

It's cheap not because of the looks. That only factor in a few pennies as far as manufacturing costs go. It's cheap because the components are cheap, as high-grade components are generally not used for lower wattage PSUs.