Sign in to follow this  
Armand

Cosmos 1000 and components not that cool

Armand    0

Hello everybody,

Bought myself that great Cosmos last week and as for now im not satisfied with the temps.

First of all the components:

- CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000

- Intel D975XBX2

- Quad Core Q6600

- Asus Silent Square CPU cooler

- XFX Geforce 7950 GT 570M Extreme (passive cooling)

- 6 SATA harddrives

The standard 4 fans are all connected to a molex, not at the motherboard so that they are spinning max (in the pictures the fans are connected to the motherboard, this is changed to direct at molex to let the fans spin at higher speed).

- 1x bottom fan

- 1x fan above the drives (absolutely neccessary because the temps without at one disk raised to 60C!, as for now with a fan on it, 44C iddle)

- 1x fan at back

- 1x fan at top (middle fan, allready tested with the fan at the back, makes not a real difference)

Here's a picture of the install:

PC044.jpg

PC045.jpg

PC047.jpg

PC049.jpg

And here's a picture reading the temps, room temperature is about 25/27C, idling, just playing Winamp at the background:

PC063.jpg

As you can see, the GPU is about 62C. Played a game (Race Driver Grid), temp rises up to a 105C ! ......

Im not a gamer, so the machine will not be used for heavy gaming, internet, newsgroup downloading, etc. are the most common things that will be done at it.

Comments, tips, tricks are 100% welcome over here! Many thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Armand

Mr. Miyagi    2

Are you only having a problem with the video card cooling? The CPU temperature looks fine, but do not expect to get low temperatures from a passive cooler. If I remember correctly, the 79xx series ran pretty hot. Does the Nvidia temperature panel give a different reading?

Armand    0

The nVidia panel doesn't work on the Vista 64bit version that i'm running, so i don't know. The temps in the pic are from Everest.

Good to here that my temps looks ok. While im using 1 of the standard (top) fans on top of the drivebay, i will buy an extra fan to fill the top again with 2 fans. Maybe this will bring some extra airflow to reduce the temps a little bit. Im afraid i cannot use the fans in lower speeds (or on the motherboard connections) to reduce noise from the fans (though they are not that noisy, actually don't want to hear them at all .....)

I was also thinkin of buying another CPU cooler ........ one that is sucking air from the bottom, blowing to the top, this will maybe help to reduce airflow around the videocard .... any suggestions of the best cooler to use with my quadcore in this system? I bought the motherboard, videocard and processor from second hand (well it was around 1 month old, previous owner worked in a computerstore) together with a this new cooler he also had. He made a very nice offer for this together so thats the reason im having this cooler.

As for the case, well im lovin it :D:cheers:! I like the looks and is was fun to build it.

Tips for:

- cpu cooler? Good choice?: Scythe Ninja Copper, then with one fan mounted at the bottom

- other fans that will move more air and are less "noisier" the the standard fans?

Thanks!

RaptorFury    0

get rive tuner 2.09 and make sure u install the plug in , this will tell you the temps of your video card . i would seriously consider an after market cooler for your video card quickly passive = bad .

EsaT    0

That many HDDs produce always over 50W of heat so you might want to change those old small capacity ones to one/two bigger and faster modern disks.

At least that card is decent idler compared to many current top cards but 60W is still damn much for small passive cooler.

SilentPCReview tests coolers with quiet fans at multiple speeds.

(depending on design behavior of heatsink doesn't scale linearly with fans peed)

Is PSU Tacens 480W? (Doesn't show clearly in picture)

If so change 4 to 3 for at least little safer rating and don't expect it to be efficient.

your CPU temps are basically normal. Passive Heatsinks on GPU normally run high and the chip is designed for higher temps. But if 63c is your idle temps it might be a little high.

We looked at the idle and full load GPU temperatures compared to the Radeon X1900 XT 256MB video card. The XFX GeForce 7950 GT 570M Extreme idles at 47c GPU temperature. The ATI Radeon X1900 XT 256MB idles at 53c. Therefore the X1900 XT is six degrees hotter just idling.

At full load the XFX GeForce 7950 GT recorded a temp of 78c,

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... hpc3Vhc3Q=

you could probably be able to just add a fan to that passive cooler, even if you needed to do some minor modding. If your going to have add more expense by purchasing a 3rd party cooler. why not just return the card if you can and get one with a fan? (lol). Even some of the reviews about this case state air-flow issues and some adding a pci fan below the Video Card. not having a side fan doesn't help either with this case.

**I have an old ASUS EN7300GT Silent that Idle'd at around 54-55C and added a 3-pin Fan (supplied power from PSU) even though the 7300GT had a 2-pin connector on a passive cooling card and it dropped my idle temps to 47C.**

en7300gttj8.jpg

Armand    0
That many HDDs produce always over 50W of heat so you might want to change those old small capacity ones to one/two bigger and faster modern disks.

At least that card is decent idler compared to many current top cards but 60W is still damn much for small passive cooler.

SilentPCReview tests coolers with quiet fans at multiple speeds.

(depending on design behavior of heatsink doesn't scale linearly with fans peed)

Is PSU Tacens 480W? (Doesn't show clearly in picture)

If so change 4 to 3 for at least little safer rating and don't expect it to be efficient.

Correct, powersupply is the Tacens Valeo Smart 480W.

AC INPUT 100-120Vac / 200-240 Vac 10 / 6A 60 / 50Hz

DC OUTPUT +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5VSB

MAX OUTPUT CURRENT 28A 34A 19A 18A 0.8A 2.5A

MAX COMBINED WATTAGE +3.3V+5V: 250W / +3.3V+5V+12V1+12V2-12V+5VSB: 480W

This PSU is very quiet, but maybe it will be good to change it to a more powerfull PSU.

Searched and found a good replacer for it: Be Quiet Dark Power 650W Review of the Be Quiet Dark Power 650W

or? ......... any better (more quiet?) suggestions?

- fans

- cpu cooler

- PSU

Thanks!

Armand    0
**I have an old ASUS EN7300GT Silent that Idle'd at around 54-55C and added a 3-pin Fan (supplied power from PSU) even though the 7300GT had a 2-pin connector on a passive cooling card and it dropped my idle temps to 47C.**

My thoughts were also going out to add a fan to the graphic card ... maybe it will not be neccessery when im having a CPU cooler that has a fan above the graphiccard and sucks some air over the VGA-heatsink .....

Armand    0

So .... made some changes.

- removed the 2 oldest drives. Were the loudest and slowest in de bay, 2x 160GB SATA150

- removed the fan out of the fanholder that was on top of the drive bay (i placed the fanholder back on top of the bay, without the fan)

- the fan is now again on top so that now the situation is standard again, 2 fans on top, 1 at the rear 1 at the bottom of the case (also here, not connected to the board, spinning max.)

- rotated the cpu cooler so that now it sucks air from the bottom and blows it to the top (now you can read the Asus logo from left to right). In this way i think im winning the most while the GPU is now idling at 57C

is was:

DIMM: 36C

GPU: 63C

CPU: 44C

Motherboard: 39C

Samsung 320GB: 32C

Samsung 320GB: 35C

Drive setup (all bays full):

I I I

I I I

Their are (and were) 2 Samsung 500GB in RAID 0, so cannot/couldn't read the temps from them.

What are the temps now:

DIMM: 36C

GPU: 57C

CPU: 41C

Motherboard: 37C

Samsung 320GB: 28C

Samsung 320GB: 31C

Drive setup:

I _ I

I _ I

At the bottom the 2x 320GB, on top of them the 2x 500GB.

Tested also with a 90mm fan on top of the GPU heatsink. Temp of GPU dropped in about 15minutes to 50C, maybe if i waited 15min. longer it would reach for about 48C. At the end, i removed the fan, temp with 57C is fine by me (offcourse i would like to have it lower, but without a fan) .... don't play games, so the GPU will not heat up that much.

Conclusion:

- 6 drives will create to much heat, this will cause the heat coming into the case and thereby heating up other components as well (mostly i think the CPU that sucked the air from the drivebay to the back of the case.

- airflow will be better when a "big" cooler with a fan is moving the air from bottom to the top. This way it will suck the fresh air from the bottom more over the graphics card to cool it as well.

The question will be, will the CPU temp (and GPU temp) be cooler with another CPU cooler??? And are other fans be able to move more air and be more quiet??? The standard fans are imo quiet, but i would love to hear reports of more quieter fans which also will move more air or can spin at lower speeds to have at least the same airflow .......

do you understand 'passive' cooling? In fact with a CPU temp of 41C with passive cooling is actaully pretty damn good. You GPU temp is actually pretty normal for that card. You MB temp,CPU Temp show that your air-flow setup is good. You don't fix GPU temps by adding a CPU Cooler, You fix GPU temps with a fan or a card that has fan!----its your money and satisfaction that matters. So go with Water-Cooling for CPU and GPU if thats what it takes.