Sign in to follow this  
ryuken3k

CM 690 case emits unpleasant smell?

ryuken3k    0

Whenever the computer is turned on, a strong plastic smell comes out from the computer. Is it coming from the case? Does anyone else have this problem? Will the smell go away?

CHEESEWHiZ    0

My best guess would check the PSU. Take it out of the case to a different room and jump the wires to turn it on.

Whenever the computer is turned on, a strong plastic smell comes out from the computer. Is it coming from the case? Does anyone else have this problem? Will the smell go away?

you mean its coming from something inside the case. I hardly think its the smell of a new case because you'd have that smell when its turned off. It something heating up inside your case that isn't normal.As mentioned above, I would first look at my PSU (Capacitor)(Wire touching something) also some ASUS boards nVidia Chipsets have a clear plastic film that covers them to protect it from scratches and needs to be removed after installing your components.

for example--the copper chipsets with *snowflake and *ASUS usually ship with clear plastic protective film.

MB-SK-AM2-AS-M2N32SD.jpg

ryuken3k    0

Where is the clear plastic protective film supposed to be? Does it cover the whole motherboard? I think the smell is there even when the computer is turned off; it's not really a burning smell. Maybe it is supposed to be the "new computer smell"?

Mr. Miyagi    2

Usually there is a clear plastic protective sticker on the "Asus" and the snowflake copper cooler.

I'm using the ASUS M3N78 Pro motherboard. Does that have the clear plastic film?

I would check all heat sinks on the motherboard to see if any plastic or any type of protective layer is on them. I don't know about other manufacturers, but Cooler Master heatsinks have a protective layer on the bottom heat block to prevent scratches on it, did you remove that from what ever heat sink you purchased?

Jim Wilson    0
I'm using the ASUS M3N78 Pro motherboard. Does that have the clear plastic film?

can't you take a look?...if it does have the film it should be noticeable....look at the copper heatsink that has ASUS (black) written on it. Look at the corners for any type of loose film edge and peel it off it you see it.

23_thumb.jpg