Sign in to follow this  
LooseCannon

Cosmos S side fan Destroyed!?

Cue    0
I don't have a camera right now, but this is the side of the fan you want to put the spacers on.

I decided to sandwich the washers with 1 thin layer of electric tape and trim the edges of the tape to the washers, this made it easy to poke all 4 of the the fastening screws through the side panel and washer tape first, making the installation of the fan easier. the tape helps to hold the screws in place.

You're in the US right I'm still waiting for my grill and wondering if there has been a uk shipment. Can anyone confirm they have a fan grill in the UK or europe. I looked at that pic and thought, hey he's got the same curtains as me.. and the same mouse.. oh.

munchies2x    0

Cmon CM say something ?!?! I bought the case with intention to use the side fan to cool down my video card and now I can't use it because of the defect. At least acknowledge this and send a replacement fan with bracket protection.

m-kilgore    0

Hello.

I purchased the Cosmos S last April from newegg. About a month ago, I started to audibly notice the fan blades of the 200mm side fan were nicking against some area of the side panel fan housing. It's not like I could visually inspect the running fan and pinpoint the spot where the blade(s) were making contact. This usually occurred right after the computer booted (started up). I have a Scythe KM01-BK "KAZE MASTER" 5.25" Bay Fan Controller that allows me to control the rpms for the four case fans that come stock with the Cosmos S. The method I've been using to stop the fan blades from nicking is by adjusting the rpms until the fan blades stop making contact, and then slowly raise the rpms back up to 900 rpms. This usually resolved the issue until I turned the computer off for the evening and then back on the next morning. Before anyone points to the fan controller, I have tried both plugging the fan directly into the motherboard, and also, plugging the fan directly to one of my power supply's molex connectors by way of a 3-pin-to-molex connector. Neither action resolved the issue, as I figured it wouldn't, but I wanted to put some effort into troubleshooting the problem before going to CM support.

Unfortunately, over the last several weeks, the fan blade impacts have become more forceful (louder), until today, when one of the blades snapped off completely, at which point the fan became unbalanced and then really made a racket.

I filled out the web form for customer service today, inquiring as to how to find a replacement for the fan. As I stated in the support e-mail, I'm not asking Cooler Master to send me or make available to me a replacement free of charge. I have no issue with paying money for a replacement fan. Unfortunately, the fan listed at FrozenCPU is out of stock. :(

If a replacement is still available, either free of charge or at cost, please request personal information in a reply to my support e-mail.

I would like to highlight something about the Cosmos S that I feel should be taken into consideration by the CM engineers. One of the features of the Cosmos S is the use of thin wire mesh as a means to filter dust. This feature works very well at keeping the components housed in the Cosmos S dust free, as my system looks as new as the day I built it. However, it takes no time at all for the side panel and the 5.25 bay covers to accumulate and clog with dust, and this accumulation significantly hampers the "intake" air flow. To keep the system operating at optimal performance, the case requires routine maintenance. This is maintenance I do not mind performing. I'm not making a complaint here. This maintenance comes in the form of removing the dust accumulated in the grill and wire mesh. It would be great if the dust could be easily removed by using compressed air. However. I have not had much success removing the dust with compressed air. Also, cans of compressed air are expensive. The compressed air does a better job of moving the dust around the housing, grill, or mesh in a way that creates and traps strings of dust and dust bunnies, rather than removing the dust. The only other way I know to satisfactorily, or ...well, to my satisfaction anyways , remove the dust is to disassemble (remove) the side panel fan housing and remove the drive bay covers and then use the spray hose in my kitchen sink to remove the dust (excluding the fan). I then towel off the water and let the pieces air dry, then reassemble the fan housing back on the side panel and place the drive bay covers back on the front of the case. After undergoing this treatment, not only is the case now dust free, but looks new too. Of course, I don't imagine many people are going to be willing to undergo this much effort to remove the dust, but CM should keep in mind that to gain access to the side panel grill and to the wire mesh in the plastic side panel case fan housing requires removing the 4 aluminum panels, as well as removing the fan itself. I'm no engineer so I have no idea whether this disassembly and reassembly might attribute to the failure of the fan. In any event, I hope CM keeps in mind, that with any possible modification (apart from the fan itself) to address the issue people are having with the 200mm fan, CM will take into account the need to remove the fan in order to completely clean the dust from the grill and wire mesh.

My apology for the long post.

Thank you kindly for any assistance in acquiring a 200mm fan to replace the one that has broken.

~Michael Kilgore

BuddyLee    0

Don't be so apologetic Mr. Kilgore, this is a known design flaw with the Cosmos S. I had to fix the problem on my own by shimming my replacement fan farther away from the side panel, as the engineers who designed the Cosmos S did not allow enough clearance between the fan, and the fan housing.

They sent me a new fan in 4 days. Very fast service. But I still wonder what Coolermaster would have done if the faulty engineering had led to the fan blade breaking off and destroying expensive hardware.

Coolermaster sent me a replacement fan, and a fan grill, but this did not fix the problem... like I said, I had to shim the fan myself.

They really need to give us a replacement side panel to fix this problem, and the fan location does not allow for tall heatsinks without modification. The fan should be another 2 0r 3 inches towards the drive bay, and about 2 inches lower.

This is considered a high end case, and it seem absurd that a person should have to severely mod it to fit the best heatsinks. It won't even work with their own V8 HS that just came out.

Other than that, it has been an awesome case.

I don't really want to bash Coolermaster, but it sounds like you think this problem was your fault, and it most definitely was not. This thread is the largest on this page that is not a sticky.

What does that tell you?

And you don't have to remove the aluminum panels to get the side panel off, it has those metal spring-steel retainers. You just have to get your credit card or something flat like a putty knife or a butter knife to pop the panel out one retainer at a time.

Just be careful not to break the weak part of the plastic, don't pry directly on the weak part.

munchies2x    0

Agree with Buddylee this is a design flaw.

Collermaster still yet to answer my question whether they will send us a better fan even our fan hasn't broken "yet"

Cmon CM

mezzfit    0

Yeah I've got the same problem, I posted on the newer thread about the same thing but then I saw this bigger "official" thread for broken Cosmos S fans. So I figured I'd post again here with a picture.

Picture8.jpg

That's a pictures of my fan blade missing. And my 9800GX2 is kinda overheating, so I would like to get a replacement fan being that my case is less than a week old. Any help would be great praised on many modding forums. Thanks! :lol:

BuddyLee    0

I placed a 120mm fan I had lying around in the 230mm place while I waited for a replacement.

I only attached it with one screw though, and at full speed it was extremely loud.

But it kept my card cool until the replacement came. :albino:

mezzfit    0

Well, I haven't gotten a response yet about my posts. I do understand that they are busy people so I'll give it awhile. I'm just running all my other fans at 100 percent right now. lol. It's a good bit louder, but it's better than having my GPU temps around 80c.

PHRAETUS    0

I have the same issue as everyone else here.

200mm fan shed a fan blade after only a few days operation, scaring the living bejeebus out of me in the process.

I have sent Customer Support an Email & recieved a promise of a response in 24hours.

That was a nearly a week ago now & I have yet to hear anything.

Do I need to follow this up here in Australia or what do I do?

Hoping someone can put me on the path to getting this sorted soon.

It's been a small blemish on what has otherwise been a fantastic experience as far as PC cases go.

:alien: