Sign in to follow this  
sethk

Noise Levels: Cosmos S vs Cosmos vs Stacker 830 Evo

sethk    0

I'd like to build a PC with good cooling but something that's going to have low to very low noise levels. I'm willing to replace all fans with Scythe or Noctua fans, but I'm wondering how much of a noise level difference there is between the closed up Cosmos and the mesh-sided Stacker and Cosmos S. Between the two mesh designs, I'm leaning towards the Stacker Evo because I think a DVD drive will ruin the clean lines of the front, plus its really open in the front, compared to the door on the Stacker which should (I hope) have a slight sound dulling effect?

Is the Cosmos much quieter than the Cosmos S with quiet fans in both?

Will adding some sound insulation to the side panel ruin the cooling abilities of the Cosmos S or Stacker Evo?

Is the Stacker Evo as capable as the Cosmos S in fitting a 2x120 or 3x120 radiator?

Zenphic    0

Is the Cosmos much quieter than the Cosmos S with quiet fans in both?

The Cosmos should be slighly quieter than the Cosmos S because it uses less mesh.

Instead, it has a door and a sound insulating material on the side panels. Plus, it only has openings for two fans at the top.

So, the Cosmos should leak less noise out than the Cosmos S.

If you choose the best RPM for your fans (for them to be quieter than ambient), the hard drives in your system should make the most noise.

In that case, the Cosmos should be better because the hard drives are installed in a more confined area versus the Cosmos S'.

Will adding some sound insulation to the side panel ruin the cooling abilities of the Cosmos S or Stacker Evo?

Video card cooling should suffer a bit. Not greatly, but your temperatures should hike up by a little bit.

Is the Stacker Evo as capable as the Cosmos S in fitting a 2x120 or 3x120 radiator?

The plus about the Cosmos S is that the radiator can be installed at the top of the case.

EsaT    0

Holed design case is hard to keep quiet even if you use low RPM fans because noises of every component leak out.

And front and side are worst places for letting noise out directly because you're probably slightly front and left of the case.

I have myself original real Stacker and despite of lining sides, bottom and top with sound absorbtion mat (and ~1000rpm fans) I don't keep it anymore quiet enough because front leaks noises (front fans +HDDs) too well.

As example of effect of direct noise escape path you surely have at least few times noticed how optical drive can be very noisy when reading disc. Even light plastic door in front of bays can muffle that sound quite a lot by simply blocking direct path from noise. (previous case had door in front of 5.25" bays)

So I would use holed design case as base for quiet PC only when cooling is done by low speed (<1000rpm) fans pretty much meaning water cooling and HDDs are soft mounted well.

Here's SilentPCReview's chassis guide:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page1.html

And remember that quiet case can't make noisy components quiet. (quiet case still muffles noise more than holed case)

Baked    0

Can't say re the original cosmos, but my previous case was a CM Stacker 830 and current one is a Cosmos S. From my experience the cosmos s is a fair bit quieter than the stacker, mainly due to the side panel locking mechanism, One of the main things that used to annoy me about my old stackers (Ive had two,as one was RMA'd) was that the sidepanel's picked up a lot of vibration due to the way they locked into place, the Cosmos S is much improved in this respect.

The bottom line is that the sound level will mainly be determined by the RPM and quality of your fan's, I have currently got 6 running on my Cosmos S @1200rpm and can only hear a quiet "Wooosh" of air and nothing more.

Having had both i'd definetly go for the Cosmos S over the stacker, if nothing else the build quality, general case layout and noise level is far superior on the new Cosmos

sethk    0

Thank you for this feedback. I was wondering about the comparative build quality. In either case I will be adding sound deadening to the side panel - I do not want an open mesh side - but if the Stacker has worse build quality, that may make me rethink things. I thought the opposite from reviews and pictures (and prices). I actually thought that the Stacker 830 evo would have higher build quality.

This may seem like a strange question - but which looks better in person? I don't like lights, so I would be swapping out all fans with lights - if that makes any difference.

RaptorFury    0

I have the Cosmos 1000 . and in that case i have currently 8 120 mm fans that spin about 2000 rpms ( there 80 cfm fans ) . and its not exactly deafening but with this amount of fans its still not to loud . the first cosmos ( 1000 ) has sound deadening material inside the panals . i not sure bout the cosmos s . me personally i lkike the cosmos 1000 over the cosmos S ( there are several key points between the 2 ) 1 the hdd bays that are on tthe cosmos 1000 are no longer present on the cosmos s ( i really liked this idea because it allowed a lot easier way to hide the sata cables and the power cables to the hdd ) the touch panal on and off screen i not entirely crazy bout . plus from what i hear the S doesnt have a reset button :( ... also i liked the idea of hiding my drives from view ( cdroms ) . what i do like from the S version over the 1000 version is the cosmos s does have a side panal fan where as the 1000 doesnt ... ( also been looking at the 2 panals i do believe they may interchange with one another , not 100% sure bc i dont have a side panal from the cosmos S . )

hajimeml    0

I am looking for a very very quiet/silent case for my high-end system (Intel QX9650, Nvidia N260GTX). How is the Cosmos 1010 compared with 1000? Are are the differences between the two besides ESA? In order for the COSMOS 1010 to control everything, do I need to install the Real Power ESA 1000W as well? Is the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Cooler or the True Black 120 cpu cooler compatible with the cases? Thanks.

hajimeml    0
the 1000 and the 1010 are indenticle except for the esa of the 1010 .. if you keep decent fans in the unit it be real quiet .

Thanks. Do you mean the fans which came with the case? I am very sensitive to noise.

By the way, for my system, is this one of the best on the market?

EsaT    0
In either case I will be adding sound deadening to the side panel - I do not want an open mesh side -
Also mini-Stackers (only 9 5.25" bays isn't Stacker) PSU position is worser than that of Cosmos. On top PSU has to either increase fan speed creating more noise or then it's going to heat considerably more.
I have the Cosmos 1000 . and in that case i have currently 8 120 mm fans that spin about 2000 rpms ( there 80 cfm fans ) . and its not exactly deafening but with this amount of fans its still not to loud . the first cosmos ( 1000 ) has sound deadening material inside the panals . i not sure bout the cosmos s .
Cosmos S is much worse for silence, no front door (direct noise escape path open) and meshed front leaking noises of components.