Sign in to follow this  
robber576

Silence Xeon's ?

robber576    0

Hello,

I am thinking about building a dual Xeon system based on a Asus PC-DL board, cpu's will be something like 3.06 Ghz or 3.2 Ghz @533 mhz FSB.

This sys is going to be in my room and has to be quit so i want to replace the standard Intel coolers .

I have looked on this site and found the E3W-N7WSS-04 PDF spec's

It seems to me that i would be best off with this cooler?

I have NO wish for overclocking the cpu's, they should run at standaart speed and if necessary i will even reduce speed to gain silence.

Is my choise right? or could i use a other cooler which is more quiet?

Other question: what is a "4-wire PWM control (max 5800 rpm)" ?

Do i need a special connector to connect this cooler?

[edit] oh, forgotten: the mobo wil be placed in a normal Antec bigtower, so fan-less coolers (low profile 1U-2U) for a server rack are not an option (or are they?)

Thanks, Richard

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

dont buy em. wait for the new xeons utilising the nocona core with emt64bit extensions, and a 800fsb with hyperthreading much better.

Mr. Miyagi    2

It looks that the E3W-NPTXS-04 will be your best solution. They look awesome together in one of the pictures on the forum.

robber576    0

Ok, thank you.

It seems that i picked almost the loudest off them all but more or less my idea was as follows: i pick the cooler with the lowest thermal resistance, throw away the standard fan and mount a silent fan on it....

Good idea or not?

I am willing to do some modding to get the best result (cooling and noise) , i am a mechanical engineer and have machinary and skils to do almost any job.

My aim is 25 dB or less.

Your latest recomendation (hyper6 model) seems to be very capable of delivering what i want but unfortunatly it has absolutly no means of attaching a fan whatsoever and the construction seems to be quite fragile, i think that drilling holes in the alu fins to attach a fan is out of the question....

Would there be any chance that there will be a Hyper6 model for xeon cpu's in the future?---> when?

regarding Mindless Moron; i specialy picked the pc-dl mobo from asus since it has stil al slots in normal pci/agp and no pci-X, i have a pci scsi controller,video capture card, mpeg encoder board, matrox parhelia and a dvb-s sat receiver which i still want to use in my new sys.

All the new 800 Mhz boards have only 1 or 2 pci slots :cry:

robber576    0

Ok, i've done the reading and i am convinced: it will be the fanless E3W-NPTXS-04 (hyper6 model) .

The look indeed impressive and apear according to the people in the forum's very capable of cooling a xeon without a fan.

Brilliant, nice work CM 8)

So , i will order two of them which wil take a few weeks according to my reseller, if i have time i will be back to report my experiance and perhaps some photo's..

Thank you all for your effort and time :D

Grtz Richard

FOP    0

That's great! Please post again once you've got the new system up and running... I'm really curious to see the results!

Aso    0

I have the E3W-NPTXC-01 which are for the Prestonia core Xeons on my PC-DL. They are so much better than the stock IWT and 500 times quieter. I have found that these actually cool better than the IWT did.