Sign in to follow this  
Ravynmagi

Cosmos 1000 and triple 120mm radiator?

Ravynmagi    0

Is it a good or bad idea to use a triple 120mm radiator with the top two 140m vents on the Cosmos 1000?

Trying to decide if I can just install a triple 120mm radiator up top or if I'll need to get as dual 120mm radiator for the top and a single 120mm radiator for the side.

coolmiester    0

A triple is do-able but you will need to do major surgery to get it to fit properly.

Heres how i did one which might help

I know this should have been done before powder coat but it wasn't so i've had to make the best of it as its going to be on show at i33 with a whole tricked out Beast System inside so here goes.

Basically just marked the top using one of our Honey Comb Grills but due to the side bezels on the Cosmos it had to be shaved a little so they still fitted on.

So when everything was marked up just cut two small slivers off the grill and opened a 360 size hole in the top of the case.

Quick deburr with a file and test fitted the HWLabs X-Flow rad using button head screws.

The grill with be riveted into place then the rad removed and the top of the case masked and the whole lot painted matt black.

Job done and off to Beast for a system fitted :bounce:

cosmos_blue_360_1.jpg

cosmos_blue_360_2.jpg

cosmos_blue_360_3.jpg

cosmos_blue_360_4.jpg

cosmos_blue_360_5.jpg

cosmos_blue_360_6.jpg

cosmos_blue_360_7.jpg

cosmos_blue_360_8.jpg

cosmos_blue_360_9.jpg

Guest ggdh   
Guest ggdh

Hi,

My first post here while waiting for my new Cosmos 1000 :bounce:

I just wonder if there are any size limitations with the 3x120 radiators? Especially height? (Thermochill PA120.3 is 61mm high plus 25mm for the fan. Will it work??)

Which radiators are you using on the top without problems?

thanks in advance,

Luke

Guest ggdh   
Guest ggdh

Good to know,

So only my valet will be a limit.

Thanks,

Ravynmagi    0

I ended up not using the rad grill, but still may end up getting one since I'm sure it would make reinstalling the radiator much easier.

I just cut open the top. Left the 4 holes for one of the 120/140mm fans, then drilled in two new holes on the other end. So the radiator is held up by 6 screws. The original fan holes that I left have an indentation so I needed to use some washers on the other end to keep it all even.

01.jpg

Then I painted it all black. I'm not a good painter, no patience for it sadly. But I figure it is all mostly inside, so I shouldn't do too much harm. Even with my newb skills, I'm happy with the end result (though I missed a few hidden nooks and crannies).

02.jpg

03.jpg

I put 6 fans on my radiator. 3 on top and 3 on the bottom. So my radiator with fans on both sides does hang pretty low. In fact mine would hang lower than the top edge of the motherboard. But there was enough gap between the radiator and the side of the case with the motherboard that there was no issue with my Abit IP35 Pro. Unfortunately my new Gigabyte UD3P board has a larger heatsink on the top edge of the motherboard and this was too large for the radiator to hang over. So I had to remove one of the bottom fans from the radiator to make room.

04.jpg

There is about 75mm from the top of the case to the top edge of the motherboard. So your 61mm fan, plus 25mm fan might hang over your motherboard a bit. There is about 30mm space between the side of the case on the 120mm fans hanging from my radiator. The motherboard looks about 4 or 5mm raised from the side. So I'm guessing if you don't have any heatsinks or anything larger than 25mm along the top edge of your motherboard, then it should fit.

And from the picture above, my radiator with fans on both sides is 90mm (except for the area where I removed one of the bottom fans for the heatsink).