Sign in to follow this  
kerneld

Cosmos 1010 ESA - Questions

kerneld    0

Greetings!

First time poster, excuse me if I dive right into it.. I'm preparing to build my new rig (specs below), and I'm trying to go with ESA.. Seems like a very interesting way to have a single, unified way of monitoring just about everything you'd want to monitor on your computer. The ability to set up profiles, automatically adjusting fan speeds, water pump voltage, adjusting to load or idle scenarios, etc, etc.. Well, it just seems the way to go for anyone who's the least bit anal about his/her rig. And boy am I anal about mine.. :wink:

This is the basics:

- Asus Striker II Extreme (most issues seem to have been dealt with, final decision close -- it'll have to be a 790i Ultra nVidia chipset)

- 45nm Quad (9450 or Extreme 9650/9770 -- depending on how much $$ I can scrounge up)

- 2 x 1GB OCZ ddr3 2000Mhz (looks like at the moment it's the most PC3-16000 you can install on a 790i..) cooled with an OCZ XTC Cooler (dual-fan)

- 9600GT (too close to the release date for the G200 chip to invest in anything more costly -- when it comes out, if it's worth it, SLI, if it's not, then 9800GTX or GX2 -- at this point, add them to my WC loop)

Add a couple of fast HD, a solid DVD combo, a card reader (too many DSLR cameras), a 22" wide monitor.. and that's pretty much it. Yeah, I know.. I'm missing a couple key components, I'm getting to that. Remember I talked about ESA? This is what I'm planning:

- Cooler Master's Cosmos 1010 (the ESA version of the 1000)

- Cooler Master Aquagate Max (though I'm going to mod it slightly -- replace the D-Tek DB1 "clone" with a slightly more powerful, especially when it comes to head/pressure Koolance DDC-clone -- alowing me to control it through the Aquagate's PCB)

- ESA modular 1000/1200W PSU (this is my biggest problem at the moment, they're scarce where I live -- haven't decided yet).

I decided to post all the doubts together as most of them relate to the chassis, and most of them can be answered by all of you Cosmos 1000 guru's out there (as the 1010 is very similar to the 1000), but I have some doubts about the Aquagate Max too.. Here we go:

1) Are the 4 temperature sensors supported by the ESA control board supplied with the case?

2) Correct me if I'm wrong: besides the addition of the ESA control board (which I suppose is sorta "fused" with the top I/O panel), the switch to PWM controlled fans all around (so that the ESA system can control them), the only diff between the Cosmos 1000 and 1010 is the move from the VGA tunnel on the 1000 to the side panel with a PWM fan, right? But that makes it a total of 5 fans, right? One intake on the bottom, one intake on the side, one exaust in the rear and two exausts on the top.. But the manual shows support for only 4 PWM fans on the ESA control board.. Where am I supposed to connect the fifth? I'm watercooling so I guess I could connect it to the CPU header and I know they're backward compatible with the more common 3-pin headers on mobos everywhere, but wouldn't that totally defeat the point of having the ESA controller? Am I getting it wrong and all 5 PWM fans can be connected and controlled through the ESA board?

3) With regards to the Aquagate Max: I've checked the EU shop (seems like the US shop is even more "depleted" of stock), and I can't find the extra water sensors for the Aquagate Max. It can read up to five, but only comes with two.. I'd like to add at least another one (to check the water temp when it exits the GPU portion of the loop).. Where can I get one? Your rep/importer where I live (cmcenterpt.com -- Portugal) tells me the chassis and WC system will be available on the last week of May. Will the sensors be available by then too (either through the normal retail chain or directly through your EU online shop)?

####

I've read the Cosmos thread thoroughly and it seems that a lot of people are complaining about heat issues, particularly with the HDD cage (whose design I really dig). I'm getting a windowed side panel to install on my 1010 (hey, you wanna be able to see how purty your case looks on the inside, especially when you're going to take the pains to WC and all), so the added air flow from the side panel won't be there anymore. Which also means I'll have a fan to install elsewhere, and the following applies to all Cosmos 1000 owners whose experience would really be valued here.. NB, SB, Vregs, Mosfets, CPU and GPUs are watercooled, memory banks have their dedicated fans, and two parts of the Asus S2E heatsinks also have dedicated fans pulling air from below (from the heatsinks) and blowing to the rear and top exausts.. I'm assuming this will somewhat mitigate heat issues, but an adequate air flow through the case is still important.

4) With that in mind, have any of you installed a fan on the side grill of the HDD case? Kinda like this -- http://www.geocities.com/dragoncluboc/Cosmos2.jpg .. Installing it on top of the HDD cage isn't really an option for me. The Aquagate Pump-Res-Control takes up two 5"25 bays, the DVD combo another, and the card reader will take the bottom exposed 3"5. Allowing for a future addition of a Blu-Ray writer will mean that all bays will be taken up. I was thinking of doing it on the side grill with a fan shroud to direct air flow to the mobo.. But for anyone who's tried putting a fan there (and none on top), did you see any improvement, especially with regards to HDD temps? Also, I'm not sure about this, but the HDD trays aren't like closed boxes, right? Air CAN flow between them if they're empty, right?

5) Also for Cosmos 1000 gurus: can anyone tell me the clearance space from the top of the chassis (the steel), to the plastic finn-thingy that sits on top of it? To put it another way, can you fit one, maybe two 120x120x25mm fans sandwiched between the two? The Aquagate Max WC kit comes with a double radiator with its own fans, that installs in the exact same place as the original top 2 exaust fans.. I'd like to know if I can mount the original fans on the top, outside of the case in a sort of improvised push-pull configuration for the radiator and still be able to put the top plastic finned/grilled on. Anyone?

6) Also for Cosmos 1000 experts: from all the pics I've seen, seems that the steel structure has three grills on the bottom.. A sort of square one for the PSU, a round 120mm roughly in the middle (for the intake shrouded bottom fan), and a smaller diameter round one at the front (right beneath the HDD cage). This area is then "sealed off" from the outside with the side frame + arms, and the "cover" with only 2 air intake areas (one on the back, one of the front -- both filtered). This creates a common air corridor beneath the steel bottom, shared as intake for the 3 grills. My question is, just how deep is the corridor. Could you fit a really thin (say an 80x80x10mm -- http://www.abix.fr/prod/91/910191_5.jpg) fan beneath the HDD cage grill? See where I'm going with this, right? :D

7) Those fan shrouds.. They click in one position/orientation only, but the top, the circle with which you direct the air flow, that's adjustable, right? I.e., you can turn it around 180º/270º/360º?

8) Final question: where the heck do I connect the I/O Panel's eSATA cable? Sorry, first time it's an issue.. Do I simply connect it to an onboard SATA port? The mobo I'm planning to buy has two eSATA ports on the back panel I/O.. Though admitedly it won't be as neat, assuming the cable is long enough (big IF), can I just route the cable out the back (maybe through the WC retention holes at the top) and plug it into one of the back eSATA ports?

Sorry for the long post, I would greatly appreciate your input on these.. Cheers!

jbjtkbw00    0

Wow, you are detailed (but lots of good info).

I just got my 1010 today. OK, first thoughts - WOW IS THIS THING GINORMOUS!!!! That's all there is to say to that.

I just ordered up the hard drive fan enclosure, ordering some 1650 rpm fans to replace the stock 1200 rpm units (plus an additional one for the hard drives).

I ordered up the Aquagate Max and will be getting the Cooler Master 1000W ESA power supply (or the Tagan BZ 1100W ESA depending on availability).

Still gathering my components, but I still need to say that WOW this case is huge! There, that's enough of that.

I hope you get a reply to your query as I'd love to read it. Hoping it gives me some ideas.

By any chance have you begun to build your system or have completed it yet? I'd love to see some pics.

RaptorFury    0

They are Huge .. Coolermaster Answered my prayers when i asked the "ALLMIGHTY GOD OF OVERCLOCK " for bigger cases ( inside of them with room ) as far as i know the 1010 is esa certified . i got the 1000 series and its absolutly Perfect . what i realy like bout the cosmos ( 1000 / 1010 ) is the hdd bays and the way the side panals open . none of that clumsy :) sliding off the panal and fighting it to put back on . just a lever on the back push it up "pop" the side panal comes off . just as simple to put it back on .... simple and elegant .... post up some pics :) . the Esata from the case just plugs into the normal Sata port on the board . as they are exactly the same thing just different styled plugs ...

jbjtkbw00    0

I do plan to post some pics once I begin the build. I still need to get my RAM, 2 vid cards, PSU and WD Velociraptor drives. Once I have all of that, I will document on here so you can see what's going on with the build. I'm pretty excited. :bounce:

kerneld    0

Yo!

It's been a while since I posted this thread.. Glad to see someone revived it.. :)

About my rig: unfortunately for me, Cooler Master's ESA product line (case, WC kit and PSU) only became available this month, so I'm still ordering the parts.. The good news is that it gave me enough time to really dig into the other components and most issues with the 790i Ultra chipset/Asus Striker II Extreme seem to have been resolved. That and the fact that I can now purchase a VelociRaptor to have as my main HDD.. The bad news is that I'm now undecided when it comes to the monitor.. :)

It's going to take some time for me to get all the parts I need, then some more to fully test the WC loop for leakage/eficiency.. And that's even before I start mounting the components inside the case.. Then some more time to fit everything in perfectly, test every piece of hardware, iron out any kinks encountered, install OS and drivers, do a software torture-test to the whole thing.. And then the wait for the new generation nVidias (when exactly are they coming out, anyway?). Only then will my setup be complete, for now at least.. (well, actually I'll also have to wait for specific waterblocks to be available for whatever GPUs I buy, but you know what I mean).

I'll try and document the whole process the best I can and will post any relevant pictures when the whole thing is complete. Until then, happy building to you all. 8)

jbjtkbw00    0
Yo!

It's been a while since I posted this thread.. Glad to see someone revived it.. :)

About my rig: unfortunately for me, Cooler Master's ESA product line (case, WC kit and PSU) only became available this month, so I'm still ordering the parts.. The good news is that it gave me enough time to really dig into the other components and most issues with the 790i Ultra chipset/Asus Striker II Extreme seem to have been resolved. That and the fact that I can now purchase a VelociRaptor to have as my main HDD.. The bad news is that I'm now undecided when it comes to the monitor.. :)

It's going to take some time for me to get all the parts I need, then some more to fully test the WC loop for leakage/eficiency.. And that's even before I start mounting the components inside the case.. Then some more time to fit everything in perfectly, test every piece of hardware, iron out any kinks encountered, install OS and drivers, do a software torture-test to the whole thing.. And then the wait for the new generation nVidias (when exactly are they coming out, anyway?). Only then will my setup be complete, for now at least.. (well, actually I'll also have to wait for specific waterblocks to be available for whatever GPUs I buy, but you know what I mean).

I'll try and document the whole process the best I can and will post any relevant pictures when the whole thing is complete. Until then, happy building to you all. 8)

DEFINITELY keep me in the loop on your build. I have the case, the Aquagate Max, will be getting the ESA 1000W PSU by CoolerMaster, so I'd love to hear what you go through. As you test the water cooler, I'd like to know ANYTHING you run into as that's totally new area for me. Your trials will be my learning tools.

Yes, I do like to keep things old school so I brought it back!!!!

kerneld    0

No prob.. :) I hope I can finally get my hands on enough material to start building by next week. I'm almost ashamed to say it, but with regards to the WC kit, it's mostly to do with the incredibly cool front bay that the Aquagate Max comes with.. That and the ESA thing.

A single unit housing the pump, control board for the radiator fans, reservoir and fill port, as well as a window for coolant level monitoring and coolant flow indicator is too good to pass up. As for the rest, the CPU waterblock seems decent, and the same goes for the radiator/fan assembly. It seemed a good place to start from, albeit a bit expensive when compared to the 100% DIY way. I will be customizing it somewhat, mixing it up with some good-quality Koolance parts, a slightly more powerfull pump (which still fits inside the Aquagate's "command module" AND can be controlled by it)..

My biggest doubt is whether it'll be good enough to cool the very hot 790i Ultra nVidia chipset (watercooled through the Striker II Extreme's "Fusion Block") PLUS QX9650 PLUS whatever 2 GPUs I end up buying.. But let's take it one step at a time.

As for testing the loop.. Dude, what EVERYONE will tell you is, test it out for at least a full 24 hours OUTSIDE of the case with only the pump working.. Even if you have to "short" the PSU (there's special plugs that do that if you'd like). Just try to match the setup to what it'll look like when everything's installed, give each tubing segment a bit of a slack to make up for any incorrect measurements and then assemble the thing outside of the case.. run it with only the pump working so that if anything leaks, it won't damage anything. Even if that means having to drain the whole thing in order to do the final in-case assembly. It's an unfortunate waste of time, but you can always use that time to familiarize yourself with the other parts (like, say, reading the MoBo's manual.. ;). You'll certainly regret it more if it turns out something's defective or not mounted properly and something got bricked because of it.

In any case, just look around, man, there's tons of "how-to"s throughout the net on WC and computer assembly.. :) I'll do my part, and will post as I go along.. Feel free to ask me anything; if I can help you I will, if I can't, I'll try to at least point you to wherever you can find expert help. Cheers!

jbjtkbw00    0

All good advice indeed. Yes, i've been reading up on WC, but since you have the same unit as I, I'm just very interested in how things go for you.

Also, I dont' think that I mentioned that I found the 12 cm Fan Bracket for the HDD at http://www.coolermaster.nl/shop/product ... cts_id=231. I searched all over for this damn thing and was a little disappointed that I had to go over seas, but I got it and that's what matters.

Anyways, I bet you're excited for next week, and I'm stoked for you myself. Can't wait!