Sign in to follow this  
Zoot Allures

CM690 some other suggestions (add-on)

I think the gripe boils down to the loss of quality exhibited over the last several years at Cooler Master. Look where the Centurion line of computer cases has gone. Each model has gotten worse with the exception of the most recent offering.

First we had the Centurion 5 CAC chassis. It was entirely made of metal. It is STILL the most purchased model on Newegg. In my opinion it is the quintessential budget computer chassis.

11-119-047-01.jpg

Next came the Centurion 532. Notice the introduction of plastic components. Although it still retains excellent build quality. It does not sell as well as the Centurion 5

11-119-094-16.jpg

Next came the Centurion 534. Gone is the mesh front. In comes more plastic. It sells even less than the 532.

11-119-104-14.jpg

Most recently we have been given the Centurion 590. It seems to be a better design than the 534.

11-119-152-04.jpg

Compare the quality of parts between the Praetorian PAC and the Cosmos. I have been discussing this in the other active thread in this part of the forum.

http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8548

If you agree with my observations please feel free and add your voice. Maybe something will be done. Personally I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks more for a quality case.

VALKYRIE    9

Hello , to improve the airflow I have eliminated the filters and installed a 100mm Scythe fan using five PCI slots , the temp in my HDD are around 31-33 degrees celsius , video card fanless Sparkle 8800GT about 39-41 degree Celsius , room temp 26-28

Image0205.jpg

Image0204.jpg

Image0203.jpg

Zenphic    0

I've always wanted to put a fan in the PCI slots. Someone should sell an adaptor for that lol

Hi there,

I think the gripe boils down to the loss of quality exhibited over the last several years at Cooler Master. Look where the Centurion line of computer cases has gone. Each model has gotten worse with the exception of the most recent offering.

I can't tell about the Centurion serie, I don't know them well.

My two pennies about three CM chassis I owned or built, CM Stacker ST-01, CM-690 (I owned theese) and CM Elite 330 for my girl.

The principal grievance about not so cheap Stacker and 690, the side panel latches : thin metal sheet + dummy latch makes it hard to handle, put back in place.

The same cheap system on a budget case like Elite Serie is acceptable, not on 70+ € case (CM has to look to Textorm 974, Textorm 69U3 or same age Antec chassis ways of doing that). It is possible to live with it because after you set your new rig and adjusted this or that, you don't open the case so often...

On the Stacker, the point that really drove me mad, was the front 5.25" covers so easy to move by mistake to the inside of the tower so it's not well inline with the rest, and so you that you got to open the f*** side panel, put the 4in3 out, in my case, the WC radiator to be able to push it from the inside...

The front panel thing, gap between panel and chassis, on the CM-690 pissed me really of...

Last observation about the finishing of a budget case, I will just compare the Gigabyte GZ-X1 (and some other GZ) and the Elite 300 serie that share the same chassis :

GZ: 2 fans (and a Y cable) Elite: 1 fan

GZ: 1 front 1394 connector Elite: none etc.

Please, have a look on this post I wrote for PCS (in french but pictures are self explanatory).

I'm not enthusiast enough to buy a 200 € or so case like Cosmos (that has some flaws too, as I can reed here! not even a S without this HDD drawers) or from any other manufacturer in fact because there always will be something to dremel even at this top level of case.

The first point to me on the CM-690 was PSU placed at the bottom and, by consequence, the room for a WC radiator...

I think I never buy a Coolermaster case if they don't change the way they do.

Edit: Even if CM is trying to improve the support with the guys around (thanks to them to be here trying their best), it seems they allways have to wait for allready broken or defect products to get spare parts... that's a stingy way.

VALKYRIE    9

Hi there ,In my opinion The mesh of the CM(590/690) is very restrictive and stop a lot the airflow, by at least I have a way out to improve this , I plan to get a CM590 , and change all the nine 5.25 front bay bezel with the front 5.25 bezel (spare parts) of the new Antec 1200 , the grill holes in the 5.25 front bezel of this new Antec 1200 are huge in comparison with the restrictive and very small mesh holes of the CM(590/690) .........( of course I dont want to use the dust filter because also stop very much the airflow )

1200000.jpg

DSC07535.jpg

Real nice idea, Tonschk. If you're able to attach Antec's on CM chassis (see what I meant about CM ST-01 front bay bezels). :mrgreen: