Sign in to follow this  
Zoot Allures

CM690 some other suggestions (add-on)

Hi there,

Thanks to CM for the effort providing a nice looking low cost Cosmos to us, at least equiped with quite really effective hard-drive soft mounts, but...

It's now well known that fan grills are crippling low speed fan's air flow and imply some woosh like noise. With all those modern ultra-vented chassis, the more fan bays the more noise, please don't add more noise sources. :)

We can be glad that CM changed the front fan frame from (1) to (2), and best of all, add a dust filter to it.

(1) CM690_front_fan_frame_old.jpg(2) IMG_3030.jpg

• The next step to improve the CM690 concept, like suggested by Tonschk in an other topic, providing wider intake under the power unit, originally covering 30 % of my Silverstone 120 mm fan, adding a a dust filter for it could be a nice idea, too: if it's not so boring to remove the dust in a rig with a brush and a vacuum cleaner, it's not recommanded to open a PSU to clean it up, isn't it?

I know it's a matter of safety, all fans have to be somehow covered, by my cat or kids wont stick their paws or fingers under the rig. :)

• Behind the mesh covers on front and top of the chassis is this plastic honeycomb structure: is it really useful regarding the rigidity?

Considering the stiffness of what remains of the front and top covers here after I cut it all away (beware, allways wear protection glasses, hot plastic shavings are spreading all over...), because I wont use the PC case as table stand and even my 18 lbs/9 kg cat use to jump on it .

IMG_3033.jpg

• The roll of the mobo support sheet could be cutted every 10 cm/3" to allow better cable managing, thanks to the existing large enough hole right after the PSU.

CM choosed to provide these plastic clips to maintain cables, but if removable, they are a bit to close of some mobos or connectors... I choosed to put all the cables behind the mobo's support.

• CM took care to make two holes for watercooling pipes... when there's quite enough (not enough in fact, missing 2"/5 cm) to build a 240 mm radiator in (when moving the top connectors to the front, a 360 mm is possible), at the top... with the 140 mm fans room, two 120 mm fans are to far from each other.

Because I'm stubborn, I succed to mount my Nexxxos Pro II, a bit shifted to the left side so that the fans are not touching the top of the CPU waterblock fastener, but the lack of room upthere prevent accessing to two fans connectors or the extra 8 pins PCIe...

(clic on the pictures to zoom in)

IMG_3039.jpg

March 25 add-on:

When I see this after a few weeks of use, some mounting/removing the façade (be sure I don't work like a horse with my hardware):

IMG_3126.jpgIMG_3127.jpg

Because CM used this flimsy (not I have got to use a screw to enlarge the nipple):

IMG_3128-31.jpg

instead of that tighter, same CM-690, plastic top latch:

IMG_3129-32.jpg

• At last, could CM please improve the side panel slide/close system, from my former ST-01, my girlfriend Elite 330 and this CM690 are the same [censored] to put in place. :)

VALKYRIE    11

Yes the grill under the PSU of the CM (590/690) is a excellent idea but MUST be improved PLEASE ,I understand that the CM (590/690) are cheap cases but I think is not very difficult to increase a little bit the grill area under the PSU

I understand that is difficult to develop a universal grill under the PSU ,because different PSU can have not only different fan size ( 120mm, 135mm, 140 mm) but also have the fan in a little bit different position , for instance the position of the fan in the enermax galaxy is total different others PSU ,therefore Coolermaster have a not easy task to develop a universal grill under the PSU

CM690

149_25_full.jpg

First version of Cosmos

CMPSUbaysmallCOSMOS.jpg

ANTEC 900

PSUsnewhome.jpg

Last version of COSMOS with increased Grill under the PSU

018.jpg

Hi Tonschk,

Yes the grill under the PSU is a excellent idea but MUST be improved PLEASE

I saw on a picture that there's a dust filter mounted the PSU bay on the new Cosmos S (RC-1100). CM is ready.

file1203579056742.jpg

This one show to answer many of my requests, about WC room, filters, the whole 5.25" front.

The top connectors are covered. Indeed is Cosmos not in the same price range.

VALKYRIE    11

Hi Zoot Allures , I have this CM690 a few weeks already and the bottom black plastic air filter with a 140mm intake Yate Loon fan is always clean ( I think because the bottom of the case is somehow protected from dust ) ,but the front air filters have collected some dust already,

Yes I agree with the idea to install a air filter under the PSU instead of a metallic grill ( like was done in the front of the CM690) ,but I dot think Coolermaster will do this under the PSU of the CM(590/690)

The 200mm Lateral fan of the Cosmos is very similar ( may be the same )of the 200mm top fan of the ANTEC 900

Hi Zoot Allures , I have this CM690 a few weeks already and the bottom black plastic air filter with a 140mm intake Yate Loon fan is always clean ( I think because the bottom of the case is somehow protected from dust )

Your case stand on the floor or on your desk ?

By my side, between the cat's hair, my tobacco fibres because I roll and the bit dust because I'm not a perfect housewife...

I'm enough the nose in my rig so clean it up a bit very often.

but I dot think Coolermaster will do this under the PSU of the CM(590/690)

Middle/low range prices... I lied a slice of kitchen ventilator filter hold with tape.

The 200mm Lateral fan of the Cosmos is very similar ( may be the same )of the 200mm top fan of the ANTEC 900

If such a fan allowed better temps in loaded rigs, such a wide meshed area would leave to much of the harddrive whine... the ratio ventilation/noise is not good, IMHO.

On my CM690, both 120/140 and the right 80 mm grills are covered by black tape, until I've time to putty then paint the panel in black.

I've got four Hitachi recent drives and a Samsung T166, of not humming because of my special rack, they are not unbearable but present due to their motor whine...

I did not have time to lay sound insulator everywhere in the CM690, but I use to do it in all my cases... good result of all those little high-pitched sounds.

By the way, there is two french speaking Cosmos S reviews, one with a lot of pictures, please see here.

It really allow a 360 WC radiator, as I said, it has all the improvements I required...

Zenphic    0

I think you have to admit that the CM690 has some really neat features, but then again it can always be even better. I agree with you that some extra dust filters would be great. The same dust filter bracket design as in the Cosmos should be incorperated into the CM690, or in a new CM case. That would be perfect. Great job to CM so far though; in terms of cable management and cable routing, the CM690 is much better than the Cosmos since the latter cannot hide cables behind the motherboard tray.

I think you have to admit that the CM690 has some really neat features, but then again it can always be even better.

Indeed, this CM-690 is a cool case to own, with or without the help of a Dremel, huh! :rr:

Many of its flaws are acceptable from a 70 € case, some of them were present on my 150 € Stacker ST-01 (a bit old concept, now)...

VALKYRIE    11

Hello , I think , another suggestion to improve the CM (590/690) is to avoid the use of ambiguous grills ,for instance almost all the grills in the CM(590/690) are able to take 80,90,120 and 140mm fans but this is not necessary the best , for example if a grill is able to take 80mm and 140mm , I think is better to install the bigger 140mm, the 140mm cover the full grill area, because if you install a smaller fan (for instance 80mm) in a 140mm grill is there the possibility to create a counter external intake Airflow around the central 80mm exhaust Airflow fan, all this in the same grill at the same time ( this can happen if the case have negative pressure inside ) therefore the Airflow in that grill is a mess

VALKYRIE    11
Hi there,

Anyway, who's still using 80 mm as case fan, huh? :roll:

Maybe me when placed on the rear of one of my PSU when it's 120 fan went south...

Hi Zoot Allures ,This is the reason I think ,there is no point to be able to install 80 or 92 mm fans in the (exhaust/intake) grills of the CM(590/690) , the places to install (120/140mm) are enough , the (no grill area) around each screw hole to install (80/92mm) fans , reduce the effective grill area and therefore increase the obstacle for the airflow , the grills in the ANTEC cases dont have this USELESS possibility to install (80/90mmfans) in the (120/140mm) grills, I keep the grills because I dont want to chop the grills of my case with a dremel , the visual effect of a home made hole is not nice .

ANTEC THREE HUNDRED

threehundredinside.jpg

cm63020011.jpg