Sign in to follow this  
anakintjc

Coolermaster Extreme Power Duo 650 noise story!

anakintjc    0

I'm really disappointed with the noise that this type of psu generates!

Actually i bought it a couple of months ago because my former psu died, i first switched it because i thought it was defective but after swapping still the same noise was coming out... I then bought an other psu (there was only an 'el cheapo' left a the time ) which was quiet (kept the CM as spare :oops: ) !

I knew the 650 Watts of the CM were overkill and it would produce some heat/noise but as a 'respected' brand i expected at least the same or less noise then a 35 euro cheap psu! Don't ears have civil rights as well? s: Now my sister's psu died and i put the CM psu in the case and now she complains too :roll:

Question: The store probably won't change it back after months with a different series and if i report the 'fan' a new same CM Extreme Power 650 will return. Can CoolerMaster help me out and switch it to a different series? I'm even willing to pay additional or get a lower priced range or should i accept the money is lost?

(Planning on upgrading my pc and purchasing an CM case but i first gonna wait how things turn out...) Shall CoolerMaster restore the faith i once had or will it be forever lost?

Maxession    1

The PSU shouldn't be as noisy as you say, so I assume you got another faulty one again.

I'd just say, return it once again and test the new one at the shop if possible. (just to be sure it's silent)

Or what you might also try is to ask the shop to return the PSU to RMA, but instead of getting it back yourself, get another PSU for the same/more money.

I've did the same with a motherboard (chipset fan), but I guess it depends on the shop.

Slither2008    0

SOLUTION :

It uses a two-pin. I read that the unit is noisy because the thermal sensor is attached to the heatsink (with a cable tie) on some models. Mine was one of them and would go off like a jet engine.

I fixed this by doing three things.

Doing this voided my warranty but I had no other choice...also note that I never used my fingers or a tool that wasn't insulated....I could have been badly electrocuted if I hadn't taken this precaution. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

1. I detached the thermal sensor and just placed it around but not in the cables.

2. I removed the 12cm 12V brushless fan and replaced it with a silent Akasa 12cm 12V fan. The original coolermaster fan was as noisy as :) and uses a two-pin connector. I got a tiny screw driver and pressed the metal pins on the fan's plug this allows you to take the wires out easily....my akasa fan has a three pin connector so using the screwdriver i got the black and red out and popped them into the two pin plug I got from the original fan IN THE CORRECT POSITIONS...i left the yellow wire in it's original connector in case I decide to ever take the akasa fan out again.

3. Last thing I did was place rubber grommets between the new fan and the psu shell to reduce the vibration.

IT'S NOW WHISPER QUITE!!!! AND IS NOW THE BEST POWERSUPPLY EVER!!!!!

It's just a shame I had to go as far as opening it to get my money's worth from coolermaster :( On a brighter note....I topped the coolant in my Coolermaster Aquagate R80 watercooler which is now 2 years old and it's back to it's silent yet powerful cooling self!!!!

pbrandonuk    0

Hi I have also just purchased this case/psu and have the noisy fan.

I have contacted Coolermaster support a week ago and have had no reply, I have contacted Ebuyer where I bought the case/psu from and they say I have to keep sending back until I get one that works! this sucks.

Any help Ideas please?

Hi I have also just purchased this case/psu and have the noisy fan.

I have contacted Coolermaster support a week ago and have had no reply, I have contacted Ebuyer where I bought the case/psu from and they say I have to keep sending back until I get one that works! this sucks.

Any help Ideas please?

Please go to http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/erma and rma the unit.