Sign in to follow this  
Zoot Allures

Centurion CM-590, coming soon?

VALKYRIE    11

My single Sata HDD Hitachi 320Gb is running at 31 Degrees Celsius in the stock hard drive rack of my CM690 ,and even if I complained a lot about the bad orientation of the HDD rack of this CM690 ,I think I dont need to decrease even more the temperature

Hi Tonschk,

This 31° is real cool.

Not that my former temperatures are dramatically high, but what should they be in summer when reaching 30/35° like last years.

Maybe am I a bit paranoid about high temps on my drive too. :)

Here running Mac OS X 10.5.2 w/ 17°C ambiant, the drives range is 33° (Samsung) up to 40 the Hitachi system drive, hummm... all three Hitachi drives are about 39°/40° with the front Nexus about 450 rpm.

Hi,

Since a few days, available here, at Materiel.net, 60 € and you can save the shipping fees if delivered in one of their local warehouse (lucky me).

But, you know, I don't think I'll buy one now... I maybe should have wait a few weeks when I ordered the CM-690 (I discovered the 590 the night after). :roll:

VALKYRIE    11

Hello Zoot Allures , I am thinking to buy the CM590 , but I want to swap the hard drive cage of the CM590 ,with the Hard drive cage of the Antec 900, because the front holes of the metal grill (mesh)of the Antec 900 are bigger (about 3mm) and allow better airflow, the front holes of the metal mesh of the CM(590/690) are smaller (about 1 mm)

13.jpg

03-1.jpg

DSC07535.jpg

The top grill holes of the Antec 900 , are huge in comparison with the very small top mesh holes of the CM690,this mesh is very restrictive to the airflow

stett-1.jpg

But after all the problematic and restrictive Hard drive cage of the CM690 is not too bad, look this graphic diagram of the temperature comparison of some cases , in my Hard drive disk Hitachi , I got about 33 degree celsius (room temp 26-28), yesterday I installed The passive video card cooler Artic cooling accelero S1-Rev2 in my 8800GT video card and I got 39-40 degrees Celsius @ idle, the stock Sparkle fanless video card cooler give me 46-48 degrees celsius @idle, of course I already cut and eliminated all the restrictive dust filters in my CM690

tableau590.jpg

dsc8813xl2.jpg

Hi there,

Antec's top honeycomb mesh are about 30% restrictive when their or Coolermaster's round mesh should be about 40/45% whatever the size of the hole. I think you shouldn't bother to get Antec's drive cage.

I'd like to find the same testers chart (and hard drives and test protocol) but it seems that Cowcotland haven't tested the NH. There's another test on Overclockersonline:

• testing-5.gif

On my side, my rig is back in a Gigabyte GZ-X1 I played with last autumn (it's front façade has the same nipples than CM-690's one but no gap here); it's front intake are only slits on the side. Because of this and so that my drives are a closer to each other too, the HHD temps increased by 5/6°C with the same Nexus fan speed (because Nexus are real silent fans, I can increase their speed without hurting my ears). I think I can cut out one on two of them to increase the air intake a bit...

IMG_3167.jpg IMG_3161.jpg

Note that GZ-X1 share exact same inner design as Coolermaster Elite 3x0 serie or NZXT Hush (to the review I wrote for PCS) but the Elite has front meshed.

I built in a CM Elite 330 my girl's rig with (only) two Hitachi --smaller but same family as mine, so same temperatures range-- and their temps are a lot lower (I don't remember the values) with undervolted stock fans.

• Mesh is definitely the best way to cool a rig but to get noise too... :)

VALKYRIE    11

Hello Zoot Allures , the small and restrictive Air intake holes ,reduce the speed of the Airflow (even worst with dust filters) and we know that the speed of the airflow is the most important factor , to counterbalance this effect and get more air speed , the people try to speed up the RPM fans (and also increase the noise) , may be a better approach of this problem can be allow as much as possible air intake with big holes and with bigger fans (140mm) running at low RPM but high CFM ,this I think is a better strategy

A review of the CM590 in english

http://www.cpu3d.com/index.php?option=c ... 52&limit=1

Hi,

Indeed are no grills at all or bigger holes grills better...

How much degrees to win vs. dust and noise (drives motor whining etc.) from the inside for this couple of degrees?

With the original CM-690 hard-drives trays and its crippled air-flow, the difference should be noticeable but with CM-590 one, I think the difference wont be so dramatic. :)

I think here it's a matter of compromise, isn't it.

By the way, I see that CM has kept the "soft" nipples for the front panel... I wish they choosed a harder plastic.

thumb_DSC07579.jpg

No reset button on the front panel, not all mobos have a reset button... Maybe a soft press on the ON/OFF could have do the job but there is no Reset Switch cable visible.

thumb_DSC07562.jpg