Sign in to follow this  
Z-Knight

Stupid Question - Power Supply LED

Z-Knight    0

I can't find the answer in the manual or spec sheet or online searching ... this may sound stupid but without the darn power switch on the back of my RS-A00-EMBA (1000W) power supply I need your answers to help.

Basically, do I need to have the power supply connected to a motherboard first (the 3 main cables) before any power comes out of it? I don't have my motherboard yet but I wanted to test out the fans and LEDs so I figured I'd connect things up and plug the power supply in and all I get is a RED LED - this typically means PS Failure or PS Off....so, does it have to be plugged in to the motherboard and then turn on the system via the switch before I can ensure the power supply is working??

thanks in advance

Z-Knight    0

more searching still hasn't my fundamental question but I did get some info regarding verifying if your PS is working:

First, unplug EVERYTHING...especially the power plug from the wall socket.

Next, on the 24 pin connector, short the green wire with any black wires...use a paperclip or use a wire to connect the green wire with any of the black wires.

Now plug in ONLY the power plug to the PS and to the wall...if the LED turns green then your power supply works, if still red then it is DOA.

So, I did this and verified I have a GREEN...but still want to make sure that there is no other way to verify the Power Supply without connecting it to a motherboard. My main worry is that if the power supply is bad and you connect it to a motherboard and it fries then you are screwed....

CHEESEWHiZ    0

The main motherboard power needs to be connected so that one of the green and black cables are connected, if i remember right. You can easily jump it with a wire to test everything out.

Z-Knight    0
The main motherboard power needs to be connected so that one of the green and black cables are connected, if i remember right. You can easily jump it with a wire to test everything out.

yup...thanks for verifying that, it saves me some worrying. Now I just need to find the darn motherboard I want (EVGA 780i - out of stock everywhere).