M700 PSU problems

atmadden    0

My spec

Q6600

P35 Neo2FR bios 1.6

2x1GB Corsair XMS2 dual channel kit

M700 PSU 700 watts

MSI 8800GTS 512mb

I have the above setup and when switched on the LEDS light up and fans spin then immdeiately stop. I have left the minimum of power leads in and still no joy ie 24 pin connector 8 pin and molex 4 pin. I had the above system running with an akasa paxpower 460w no problem. I have rma'd the psu and purchased another coolermaster m700 but get exactly the same results. Tried both of these psu's in another system and they work fine. My board has the usual multiple bootups that other people experience. Swapped back in the akasu psu again system working fine again. Any ideas?

Cheers

atmadden    0

Well decided to take out the board and try outside the case swapped my watercooling setup for a scythe ninja and even tried a 2900pro instead of the 8800gts but guess what exactly the same leds come on for a split 2nd and fans spin up but then stop straightaway! Put my old akasa psu back on boots up fine! This psu isn't compatible with a MSI P35 Neo2 board and a q6600. The 3.3v and 5v rails are rated at 25a each on the coolermaster but 30a on the akasa this must be the problem!

EsaT    0

That isn't the problem, hardly any components load those rails, total load in them is in class of few dozen watts in normal PCs.

Have you tried booting PSU without anything connected? (connect green wire to ground)

At one point higher efficiency PSUs didn't start with small load and some motherboards are slow at starting because makers decided to give pushing help for low quality old design PSUs.

atmadden    0

Well have now tried 2 M700's and neither will startup this pc. Bought a corsair hx620w and this works like a dream. So in short the coolermaster psu's aren't very good!