Sign in to follow this  
clawhammer

[HELP NEEDED] Cooler Master 690 & GeminII = higher temps

clawhammer    0

Ok guys, I need some help from air flow experts. I just got myself a Cooler Master 690 (the most expensive casing I've ever bought since I was never bothered to use a casing before this)

I have GeminII installed and it looks like the photo below (that's not my rig). I have 2 x 12cm top blowing out and 1 x 12 rear blowing out, not to mention the intake fans from front and bottom.

The problem is, the temp is somewhat worse than my cheap casing with side panel open. I believe the air flow is not right and congested considering the fact that the cooler is so huge and there are already 2 fans blowing through it plus those top and rear exhaust fan are simply sucking air out.

I read a bit on the Internet and for cases like this, it's best to use HSF where the fan blows sideways, like IFX, Ultra 120, etc but I don't want to spend on another HSF so anyone has a remedy to the problem? This is my first Cooler Master and I hope my investment for this case wouldn't get me worse temps :)

Who has CM690 with GeminII and care to shed some lights?

1419519565_d47ed53928.jpg[/img]

EsaT    0

Tower heatsink with airflow in same plane as motherboard is best for that (and most) cases because airflow is in that plane.

Beside chassis airflow not helping to move air through heatsink that HSF now also blocks some of that chassis airflow.

Gemini would be best for chassis with intake in side panel.

clawhammer    0

Thakns EsaT. Does that mean I'm going to be stucked with stupid temps if I stay with the GeminII? Both casing and cooler is less than 2 weeks old and now I have to change something again? :(

Can I use a metal plate to block air beside the GeminII to prevent the top exhaust fan to suck air immediately? Would it help?

Starboykb    0
Thakns EsaT. Does that mean I'm going to be stucked with stupid temps if I stay with the GeminII? Both casing and cooler is less than 2 weeks old and now I have to change something again? :(

Can I use a metal plate to block air beside the GeminII to prevent the top exhaust fan to suck air immediately? Would it help?

i dont think geminII really fit for CM690 for a mid size chassis from my personal opinion. I would have go for another cooler like Hyper212 or maybe CM sphere. both of them will work great with it.

Gemini simply is too big and it looks to me you are really having quite a lot of problem managing your cable too. if you get the gemini S maybe it will work somehow.

clawhammer    0

I changed the top and rear exhaust fans to the cooler master ones and had the stronger fans on the other areas. Temps are a bit better and quieter but it's still noisier.

I thought having a good case w/ good airflow would give better temps but maybe not :)

SirMango    0

Maybe try reproducing the airflow in your older case? Like not powering the top fans but only have the rear fan on. Also, like you mention, keep the case side panel open. See if that works. If it doesn't give the same temps like in your older case, I think theres another problem.

VALKYRIE    11

We must be careful when installing many fans ,because not each AirFlow agree with all the other AirFlows , and therefore we get a conflicting Turbulence instead of laminar Airflow , in the next website is a test of differents Airflows inside the case ,and a extract of this test is this ..........

"We questioned ourselves as to the effectiveness of so many fans with so many conflicting airflow patterns. Could it be that more fans isn't better? Could it be that the airflow may become quite a mess thus diminishing the overall effectiveness?".........

http://icrontic.com/articles/pc_airflow ... ling_guide

Gemini simply is too big and it looks to me you are really having quite a lot of problem managing your cable too.

He does say the picture isn't of his pc.

Search for Gemini on here, you're not the only one with high temps with this cooler.

clawhammer    0

The GeminII is fine but swapping from a cheap Asus casing to 690 gives me higher temp (which is the issue).

It rather suprises me because after a lot of reading, a good case with good air flow is supposed to give better results especially on temps. I guess the theory is somewhat not accurate.

Fireheart    0

Have you checked to be sure that the heatsink is properly seated on the processor?

Frankly, from the first time I read that you were having this problem, I wondered if the problem was not simpler than just different airflow.

I don't mean to imply anything about your abilities, believe me! I'm a total klutz when it comes to computer building. A negative change that significant, when using superior equipment, makes me immediately question my own application, rather than the hardware.

Be Well!

Fireheart